Personal trainers are responsible for guiding and motivating clients to train towards their physical fitness goals. Typical duties for a personal trainer include consulting with their clients to develop training plans, instructing clients on proper technique, motivating clients, and providing them with constructive feedback and support. Personal trainers will have an empathetic and encouraging attitude, as well as great communication and interpersonal skills.
A successful personal trainer will have advanced knowledge on a variety of exercise techniques and the ability to understand each client’s goals, emotions, and needs. First aid and CPR qualifications are required to become a personal trainer, and personal training certifications are available as well. Personal trainers will work a variety of hours in different working conditions such as local gyms, medical settings, apartments and resorts, their own studio, or their clients’ homes.
Sample job description #1
ABC Company is currently in search of our newest Personal Trainer who is passionate about fitness, wellness, and providing outstanding customer service to our community. We are looking for an individual seeking a career opportunity with one of the largest employers within the (city, state) area.
- The Personal Trainer is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating personal training programs for customers
- Promoting personal training services
- Establishing personal training book of business and other duties as assigned.
- 5 years of experience
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Collaborates well with a large team
- Works hard to build a book of business
- ACE, NSCA, ACSM, EXOS XPS, EXOS XFS, Gray Institute FAFS Fellow of Applied Functional Science, or
- Gray Institute CAFS Certification in Applied Functional Science;
- In addition to BLS within 90 days and BLS certifications.
- Team members in this position are required to go through all department technology and methodology training, and pass a skills test within 60 days of hire.
Bachelor’s degree in Sports medicine or related field
Sample job description #2
As an ABC company personal trainer, your career becomes an empowered lifestyle founded on maximizing both your personal and client performance. Under the guidance of two dedicated managers you will develop and refine an approach to programming, education, business, and financial planning that ensures your Personal Training career is as unlimited as your passion. Secure a stronger future and help us redefine the science of fitness and the art of living.
- Commitment to providing and creating an elevated experience for all members
- Motivate our members by connecting and building relationships with them on the fitness floor
- Instruct and demonstrate to members on the proper use of equipment and exercise techniques
Passion for fitness:
- Establish and maintain a personal training client base by administering fitness evaluations, orientations, stretching, and one on one sessions with members.
- Understanding of industry trends and the desire to pursue higher education opportunities.
- Attend our Fitness Training Institute paid courses to advance through our Tier level system
- Owning and conducting the sales of training sessions and packages with members
- Maintain knowledge and/or participation in all club services, programs and products
- Ability to remain organized with scheduling via online portals and our Personal Trainer App
- Current Nationally recognized Personal Training certification
- Ability to work full time, 35-40 hours per week, including weekends
- Eligible for opportunities to start at a higher tier level based on experience and education.
- Possess passion, ambition, drive, and knowledge regarding the fitness industry
- High school diploma/GED required or equivalent work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excel in time management, organizational, and follow-up skills
- Computer literate tech-savvy, energetic, and friendly
- CPR/AED certification required upon hire
- 1-3 years of previous Personal Training experience
Essential physical requirements
- Must be able to perform all essential physical aspects of the position which may include standing, sitting, running, walking, jumping, squatting, bending, and reaching. As well as pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 lbs. at a time
Sample job description #3
Personal Trainers are responsible for supporting all members in championing happier, and healthier lives by building and nurturing relationships. They provide a positive member experience that is educational, supporting, and upholds the integrity of the ABC company Brand.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Develops safe, professional, and comprehensive client programs that drive client goal achievement and retention
- Monitors and instructs clients during personal training sessions on the safe and effective use of cardiovascular, flexibility and strength training equipment
- Reads, watches, and engages in all required training’s associated with the role
- Conducts fitness consultations for new clients including pre-participation screening, Medical History, Lifestyle questionnaire, and goal setting to assess and recommend personal training programs
- Provides fitness floor assistance to all members to ensure safety, provide education, and motivate members
- Fulfills member service requirements such as fitness assessments and equipment operations, service desk duties, and fitness equipment cleaning
- Promotes and sells personal training programs and services
- Completes all administrative requirements associated with each client’s fitness plan
- Remains current on certifications and new trends in the industry
- Ensures all members feel competent, confident, and connected by providing superior customer service through complimentary and based services/programming
- Documents all aspects of client programming
- Remains current on credentials and continuing education to advance throughout the levels program
- High School Diploma or GED
- 1 year of personal training experience
- Certified Personal Trainer
- CPR and AED Certified
- Knowledge of fitness, cardiovascular training, nutrition and program design
- Ability to perform an aerobic activity for the duration of a class and be able to bend, stand, reach, climb and lift up to 50 pounds
- Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Sports Medicine, or another related field
Sample interview questions
- Describe your experience in the industry?
- Tell us about your training philosophy?
- How important do you think customer service is to this job?
- Do you hold any certifications?
- How do you keep your clients engaged and motivated?
- How do you stay informed on the latest updates to the field?
- How would you structure a fitness class?
- Explain how you handled an unhappy client in the past.
- What made you choose to be a personal trainer?
- Describe a successful training session.
- What makes you a good fitness trainer?
- How do you grow your client base?
- What are your strengths?