What Does a Construction Superintendent Do?
Construction superintendents manage the day-to-day operations of construction sites. As the primary point of contact between the contractor and other members of the construction team, they ensure that the project is completed on time, within budget, and according to specifications.
Managing subcontractors, scheduling materials, ensuring safety regulations are followed, and resolving any issues that may arise on the job site are all part of the job for them. Additionally, the construction superintendent is responsible for monitoring the project’s progress and communicating regularly with the project manager and other stakeholders.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Construction superintendent salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Construction Superintendent is:
Construction Superintendent Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great construction superintendent is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
Without efficient construction superintendents, our projects wouldn’t be delivered successfully and on time. One of the most important roles a construction superintendent plays is overseeing and coordinating all of the activities of a construction site. Duties include monitoring projects from start to finish which involves budgeting, scheduling, preparing, and ensuring safe and secure construction sites. [Your Company Name] is hiring experienced construction superintendents to join our team. If you have experience in construction and are a strong, pro-active leader who performs well under pressure, this position at our company could be the perfect fit.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Estimate the cost of projects, including materials and labor
- Hire employees and create their work schedules
- Maintain daily logs at job sites
- Monitor progress on projects
- Meet deadlines
- Meet with property owners
- Order tools and supplies
- Prepare reports for projects
Education and experience
Construction superintendents need to earn a high school diploma or equivalent. Some employers prefer to hire people with an associate degree or bachelor’s degree, ideally in a field such as construction management or architecture. Coursework should include classes in mathematics and statistics. Employers usually provide on-the-job training as well, and certification is available for those who want to enhance their career opportunities.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Time-management skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Solid analytical skills to collect and interpret data
- Ability to understand blueprints and contracts
- Outstanding decision-making skills
- Calm, professional demeanor
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication and leadership capabilities
- Ability to oversee and coordinate all of the activities of a construction site
- In-depth understanding of local, state, and federal construction regulations
- Deeply understand construction project management and budgeting best practices
- OSHA certified and knowledge of construction site safety, including the safe operating practices for construction equipment
ABC Company, is an industry leading, international award-winning, premier boutique landscape architectural design + build firm. We are seeking an experienced Pool & Landscape superintendent to join our fun and hardworking team. The ideal candidate will be passionate, ambitious, accountable, team oriented, have strong ethics, unquestionable values, be responsive, and humble. This position requires 5-7 year minimum pool and landscape construction experience.
- Manage assigned pool, hardscape and landscape projects
- Production and scheduling of assigned projects
- Understand, interpret and ensure compliance with local and international code
- Develop projects per plan within budget, full manage budget versus actual
- Professionally interface with subcontractors, suppliers, clients, and team members
- Utilize project management software for project managing, scheduling, documenting, and budget
- Ensure client satisfaction!
- Team player and perform duties the ABC Company way
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience
- Pool, Landscape, Hardscape experience
- Degree in green or construction industry preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate, detail focused, motivated, friendly, and polite
- Valid drivers license
- Ability to read plans and specifications
- Proficiency in basic computer skills
ABC Company is currently seeking an experienced Superintendent with 5-15+ years of experience leading renovation/tenant improvement construction projects. As an ABC Company Superintendent, you will have the opportunity to manage all of the administrative tasks associated with construction and field operations for your project from day one. Our goal will be to empower you in the field and give you, as well as the rest of your Project team, all the tools you’ll need to bring your project to completion on schedule, within budget, and per the project specifications!
A day in the life
- Attend the post-award review meeting to receive project information and details for preplanning before construction
- Participate with the project manager in preparing a schedule of construction activities and their sequence, the organization structure, staff selection, and the manpower and construction equipment requirements of the project
- Direct and control the total construction project to meet specifications and within the allotted time schedule in an efficient manner to produce the expected profit
- Assist in the activities of the project manager/engineer in their duties including prompt shipment of materials and permanent equipment, in obtaining approvals of shop drawings and material samples
- Coordinate the activities of subcontractors to permit them to perform their work effectively and to integrate it with project schedules and progress
- Inform all supervisors and subcontractors promptly of any construction schedule changes
- Assist in the preparation of all job progress and cost reports to accurately reflect actual costs
- Review and approve all requisitions, field purchase orders, invoices, and other significant reports and documents
- Cooperate with the owner and his representatives, keeping them informed of construction progress
- Cooperate with architects or owner representatives on an amicable basis, but in the long-term interest of the company
- Hold job site meetings with the project manager and the regional manager
- Report regularly to the project manager to keep them constantly informed on job progress, plans, and problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules
- Maintain a daily diary to permanently record all significant project facts, events, conditions, visitors, owner representative contacts, commitments, agreements, and approvals
- Direct adherence to the company’s safety program in all phases and areas of the project
- Make decisions under tight deadlines
- Organize people, tools, and equipment, and plan/manage multiple activities to accomplish desired results
- Demonstrate leadership skills with ability and willingness to face challenges, direct others, and adequately address conflict
- Exhibit commitment to quality by evaluating project-related processes and making necessary changes, using customer input to make improvements, and meeting/exceeding internal and external customer expectations
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining a constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations
- 5-25+ years of construction experience, with at least 3 of those years as a lead superintendent on renovation/tenant improvement projects
- Willing to travel when needed
- Computer skills: proficiency in using Word, Excel, Outlook, and project scheduling programs
- Possess and maintain a current, valid driver’s license in your state of residence
The Construction Superintendent role is essential for the successful implementation of project work in the domain of Distributed Energy Resources (DER) within the Commercial & Industrial and Municipal, University, School and Hospital sectors. ABC Company’s annual large project volume is growing to 8-12 projects annually in the $1 – 15 million and greater in size. The Construction Superintendent takes direct lead over the field implementation management of projects and works to implement project goals as directed by the Managing Director, Energy Optimization Project Delivery or other supervisors. This role entails the overall field management of subcontractors, vendors, craftsmen, assistance with subcontractor purchasing, quality control and inspection of renewable (combined heat and power, electrical and mechanical infrastructure, building) projects from concept, to contract, through installation and turnover.
- Manage and oversee implementation of projects from start through turnover
- Oversee project goals
- Create and deliver written daily reports
- Assist with managing the project budgets
- Assist to review and manage project submittals and Requests for Information (RFI’s)
- Incorporate Change Orders into the project and assist with preparation of Change Order proposals
- Maintain complete familiarity with the Owner-Contractor Agreements
- Conduct field inspections of the project work
- Review project work in place for monthly AIA invoice’s to Owners. Assist to analyze and approve subcontractor invoices
- Leadership and communication skills to successfully oversee project execution
- Chair subcontractor coordination meetings
- Assist to perform price estimates for aspects of the project and associated change orders
- High skill level in Microsoft Office
- Proficient using scheduling software tools, preferably Microsoft Project or Excel based schedules. Assist to create and maintain project schedules
- Organizational skills are mandatory
- Works with ABC Company’s Director of Environmental Health & Safety to implement ABC Company’s safety program on project sites
- Ability to multitask efficiently
- Works directly with the Managing Director, Energy Optimization (Project Delivery), or other supervisor to implement project and business unit goals
- Assist in overseeing all aspects of the projects and ensures timely project execution
- Assist with project cost accounting and management of project budgets for financial risk management of the project
- Assist with scoping and purchasing of Subcontractors and preparation of Subcontractor Agreements and Purchase Orders
- Management of the Owner and Subcontractor Agreements
- Assists with coordinating all aspects of the project work including equipment, materials, subcontractors and vendors toward successful implementation of the project
- Works with all project stakeholders, both internal and external to develop and maintain the project schedule
- Maintains professional level of communication and association with executives at the Owner, subcontractor, and equipment vendor levels
- Problem solving for drawing conflicts and coordination with project consultants
- Assist with the closeout effort of the projects including commissioning, training, warranties, and operation and maintenance manuals
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent direct project management experience in the energy or construction industry
- 10 years of proven successful Construction Superintendent experience in the energy or construction industry
- OSHA 30 safety training (Can be obtained once employed)
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively to ensure successful project execution on multiple projects at the same time
- Working knowledge of general project management processes
- High level skill in Microsoft Office and proficiency in use of scheduling software
- Familiarity in working with project management software solutions such as Procore and e-Builder (Training can be – obtained once employed)
- High level written communication skills and proven ability to generate and deliver written reports, meeting minutes, and various forms of written project information
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a passion for ensuring that projects proceed efficiently and effectively
- Regular professional, office business setting
- Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
- Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if no construction worksite)
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Professional Constructor (CPC). The Certified Professional Constructor (CPC) is the highest level of certification in the Constructor Certification Program. Attaining CPC certification demonstrates a high level of skill and knowledge in the ethical management of construction projects. Candidates are required to have over 8 years of qualifying experience and/or education and have passed or been exempted from Associate Constructor (AC) Level 1 of Constructor Certification Program.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM). The Certified Construction Manager (CCM) recognizes professionals who have chosen a career in construction management. Certified construction managers are committed to excellence in construction management/project management, career development, and the pursuit of knowledge. They provide professional services which apply effective management techniques to the planning, design, and construction of a project from inception to completion to control time, cost, and quality. Candidates must meet education and experience requirements and pass a technical exam. Candidates must also complete a self-study course that covers topics related to construction managers including the manager’s role, legal issues, and risk allocation. Renewal is required every 3 years.
Sample Interview Questions
- What qualities does a good construction superintendent have?
- What are your most important responsibilities as a construction superintendent?
- Do you feel you have the right skills to communicate well with suppliers?
- What was your most challenging construction project? What lessons did you learn?
- How do you ensure organization on project sites?
- How do you resolve conflicts between workers to ensure efficient collaboration and timely delivery of projects?
- How do you educate on-site personnel regarding safety procedures and how do you ensure their safety?
- What is the most challenging part of budgeting for you?
- In your experience, what is the key to developing a good team?
- How did you manage daily field reports for the construction projects of previous employers?
- How do you keep workers motivated to perform accurately with changing requests, obstacles, time constraints, and budget limitations?
- What was the most complex construction project you’ve been involved with?