What Does a File Clerk Do?
Legal file clerks play an essential role in the day-to-day operations of law offices and legal departments. Their primary responsibility is to organize and maintain records, including case files, documents, invoices, and correspondence. Legal file clerks need to have strong organizational and communication skills, along with the ability to handle confidential information.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
File clerk salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a File Clerk is:
File Clerk Job Descriptions
ABC company is hiring candidates who are highly motivated self-starters for their File Clerk position, so if you love organization and order, this may be an excellent career opportunity. In this position, you will manage and maintain physical and digital filing systems, operate office equipment, and complete general office work, as part of basic clerical tasks.
How you will make an impact
- Must be capable of answering questions about records and files
- Handle and support diverse projects on the behalf of other employees
- Gathering and indexing materials to be filed from departments and employees
- According to specified guidelines, order high volume of letters, memoranda, invoices, and other indexed documents
- Handle documents and tasks related to faxing, archiving, scanning, filing, and word processing
- Give utmost attention to quality control to ensure proper document filing
- Using allotted time frames, retrieve data
- Navigating basic office equipment and protocols experience desired
- Please apply with a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Great written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable handling office equipment
- At least 1+ years of File Clerk experience preferred
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to changes in procedures
- Word and Excel experience is desired
- Ability to handle multiple tasks to prioritize needs and expedite tasks upon request
- Highly organized and self-motivated
We are looking for an organized File Clerk to perform file management and maintenance for our Accounting Department. You will organize files according to our filing system and digitalize all essential documents as necessary. You will be expected to protect and update files as well as make them easily accessible to your colleagues. A file clerk must be organized and possess a serious understanding of confidentiality and data protection. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, skilled with computers, and enjoy a fast-paced work environment.
- Check incoming paperwork (correspondence, invoices etc.) and distribute copies electronically to the correct entities
- Rename and save all monthly statements quickly during the first few workdays of each new month
- Create or update records with new files and information
- Provide information to Auditors as requested
- Enter paperwork into an electronic system either by data entry or by using optical scanners
- Track reports as complete/in-process
- Deliver outgoing mail to the local post office (valid FL driver’s license required)
- Follow policies to safeguard data and information
- Proven experience as a file clerk
- Very good knowledge of MS Office and office equipment such as photocopier, scanner etc.
- Good command of English both oral and written
- Dependable with a respect to confidentiality and policies
- Excellent organizational skills
- Great attention to detail
- High school degree or GED
We are a Firm where people truly believe in what they do and strive to achieve the highest standards of performance and success.
Key responsibilities include
- Accurately place documents in correct folders and file drawers
- Organize, update, and maintain physical and electronic files
- Special projects and additional duties as assigned
- 1-3 years experience in related areas
- Accurate computer typing skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to lift heavy boxes at a maximum of 70 pounds
- Bachelor’s Degree
Sample Interview Questions
- What are your organizational skills like?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to work under pressure to meet a deadline?
- How would you describe your attention to detail?
- How long have you worked with filing systems?
- What are some of the filing systems you worked with?
- What are some of the ways you identify filing errors?
- How do you organize files in your work area?
- What is your experience working with document retrieval systems?
- Have you previously used any software or tools associated with this job title before? If so, please provide details.
- What motivates you to do your best work?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to work as part of a team?
- What makes you a good fit for this position?