What Does a Backend Developer Do?
Backend developers manage server-side infrastructure that powers software applications. They manage databases, implement application logic, and maintain seamless data integration with the front end. Their work is vital to facilitate smooth data exchanges between users and servers while optimizing the application for speed and performance. They create responsive applications that handle front-end requests efficiently and often collaborate with front-end teams to integrate user interface elements with server-side logic. They may also build and maintain company web properties.
Backend developers must be well-versed in a wide variety of programming languages and proficient with the most common web development and programming tools. They should also possess strong communication, collaboration, problem-solving skills, and acute attention to detail.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Backend developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Backend Developer is:
Backend Developer Job Descriptions
Creating the perfect backend developer job description is a vital step in the hiring process. To help with your recruiting efforts, our team has put together some real-world examples from past openings.
Senior Backend Developer
Above all else, two factors drive our mission: excellent engineering and customer satisfaction. Keeping this in mind, there are no challenges that we cannot overcome. We’re a multi-faceted team filled with experts in their respective fields, and we’re searching for a backend developer. If you’re an excellent developer with years of experience and you think you’ve got what it takes to provide a frictionless experience to customers, and you are an excellent team player, we’d love to hear from you!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Design, configures, tests, and deploys web service applications using a wide variety of toolkits
- Documents and maintains applications using best practices and standards
- Gathers business needs and formulates that into specific guidelines with which programs will be written
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues related to applications
- Creating, testing, and implementing enhancements of applications
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 (five) years hands-on experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience in Core Java, Spring Boot/MVC/Security
- Working knowledge of scripting languages and tools
- Excellent multitasking and organization skills
- Expertise in application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Working knowledge of Java, Python, PHP, Spring, Micronaut, Django, Flask, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and AWS DynamoDB
- 8 years of hands-on experience in a related position
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Advanced knowledge of SOA/MVC architecture
- Passion for industry-wide technology trends and best practices
- Strong backend development skills
- Innovative and self-driven developer that works well alone and in collaborative environments
Backend Developer (GIS)
Duties include working in a professional environment with a national team of developers, geospatial analysts, engineers, scientists, business analysts, and planners. The ability to effectively lead and participate in remote teams with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, both technical and non-technical, is required. Successful candidates will be able to lead development projects, plan and design solutions, develop database schemas and analysis methods needed to support project goals. Our projects include solutions for desktop, web, and mobile
- Communication. Ability to share your ideas and work with other developers in a collaborative environment
- Problem solving. Knowing how to make a task easier, more maintainable, and stable
- Curiosity. Knowing what’s on the horizon in web and mobile development and when to use it
- Adaptability. Able to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies
- Ability to manage a complex range of tasks and meet deadlines
- Understanding and application of the agile development lifecycle
- Bachelor’s in computer science, Geography, Geospatial Science, Planning, Environmental Sciences, or relevant field
- 2 years focusing on enterprise scale backend architectures
- GIS development experience desired but not required
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Minimum of two years’ experience in software development
- Experience with agile development practices through Jira
- Experience with server-side technologies (Java, .NET, NodeJS, etc.)
- Experience with the design, development, testing and support of ETL processes
- Should have strong knowledge of API design, development and support
- MuleSoft Developer Level 1 certification a plus
- Development and optimization of PLSQL queries
- Experience with support and optimization of Oracle 11g and 12c databases
Backend Developer (Java)
What do you need to succeed? Strong back-end skills include ORM Hibernate/myBatis, SpringBoot, Microservices, Spring frameworks, (Spring security, Spring batch, Spring MVC) and REST API. Along with the ability to synthesize requirements, underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines.
Your future duties and responsibilities
- Engage with architects/product team to comprehend functional challenges, prototype new ideas, and new technologies, and help to create innovative solutions
- Design and develop solutions following established frameworks, application development standards and quality processes in projects
- Assess the impacts on technical design because of the changes in functional requirements
- Gain knowledge and control of client integration endpoints (live API’s, Batch, Queue based processing)
- Will work within a fast-paced Agile DevOps team contributing and collaborating with the scrum team on a daily basis
- Participate in all phases of Agile methodology (planning, grooming, coding sprint items)
- Mentor junior developers, which may include performing code reviews. Suggest tools, technologies, and best practices that improve stability
- 8+ years of experience in JEE technology stack. Back End Development capabilities supporting Database, server side development, and CI/CD integration
- 5+ years of experience with SpringBoot, Sprint Data, Spring Batch, Spring cloud, and Sprint security
- Extensive experience with WebService development (SOAP/REST)
- Experience with ORM Hibernate and MyBatis
- 2+ years of experience in Microservices development using Spring Boot. Understanding of key components of a micro services architecture including containers, load balancing, distributed cache, and preferable experience with Eureka and Zuul
- Strong messaging systems knowledge, either Rabbit MQ or Kafka
- Extensive experience writing Junit test cases, Mockito and PowerMock
- Experience with NoSQL database, Oracle, and PostgreSQL
- Experience handling JSON data in PostgreSQL
- Experience with Business Rules Engine, preferably Drools
- Experience with Business Workflow Management systems
- Experience with Springfox 3.0 and Swagger
- Practical knowledge of Git flow and GitHub flow branching strategies.
- Familiar with DevOps toolchain experience: GitHub, JFrog Artifacts, SonarQube, etc.
- Experience with ELK stack, Elastic Search, Logstash, and Kibana is a plus.
Backend Developer (.NET)
Work you’ll do
- Design, develop and, support Cloud-Native applications and API development using C# .NET on Azure Cloud Platform
- Contribute to application development on multiple large-scale, mission-critical system
- Work collaboratively as a key contributor on a high performing team which ships code and delivers value
- Participate in requirements gathering, analysis, and technical design
- Design, Develop and support Cloud-Native applications and API development using C# .NET on Azure Cloud Platform (Experience with object-oriented languages & implementing RESTful webservices in Azure required)
- Hands on experience with Azure App Service Model (Static Web Apps, Function Apps)
- Strong understanding of Cloud computing concepts and technologies, such as IaaS/SaaS/PaaS, load balancing, storage, etc. (creating, deploying, configuring, and scaling applications on Azure PaaS)
- Hands on experience on Azure storage services like SQL DB, Cosmos DB, Tables, Files and Blobs, and tools like Azure DevOps & GitHub
- Full stack experience with WordPress UI and backend skills isn’t required but would be a huge plus!
- Knowledge of Azure IaaS (APIM, VMs, VNET, NSG Rules, VPN Gateways and Express Route)
- Knowledge of networking engineering including DNS, Active Directory, Firewall, Load balancers, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills coupled with analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to write quality unit and end-to-end tests; debug and optimize existing and new code
Backend Developer (Node.js)
We seek a skilled and motivated Node.js Back-End Developer to join our dynamic team. You will be crucial in developing and maintaining our back-end services, ensuring seamless functionality, robustness, and optimal performance. The ideal candidate will be proficient in Node.js and AWS.
- BS in computer science or related area
- Minimum of 4 years’ relevant experience
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and implement efficient and scalable Node.js back-end services.
- Implement unit tests using relevant testing frameworks and write clean, well-structured code.
- Deploy, manage, and monitor applications using AWS services.
- Design, implement, and optimize database solutions using MongoDB or DocumentDB.
- Maintain coding standards by contributing constructive feedback to code reviews.
- Assist with troubleshooting and solving technical issues, optimizing performance, and fixing bugs.
- Stay up-to-date with industry best practices, emerging technologies, and trends related to back-end development.
- Strong proficiency in back-end service development.
- Demonstrated experience with AWS services, including deployment and management.
- Familiarity with unit testing frameworks and commitment to well-tested code.
- Strong problem-solving skills and critical thinking in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative mindset
Tools And Technologies
- AWS Services
- Familiarity with JIRA for issue tracking and project management.
- Proficiency with Jenkins or similar continuous integration/deployment (CI/CD) tools
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- OCAJP. The Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer certification is the first step to becoming a Java developer. It’s also known as just “OCA.” This is the first of two exams proving they are Oracle Certified as a Java professional.
- OCPJP. The Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer distinguishes candidates even further from uncertified professionals. This course is focused on Core Java.
- Spring Professional Certification. The exam for this certification is specifically designed to validate and reinforce candidates understanding within the familiarity of the Spring Framework. They can obtain this certification to set themselves apart from others if they plan on working within this framework.
- OCEWCD. The Oracle Certified Expert – Web Component Developer is for candidates specializing in the application of JavaServer Pages and Servlet Technologies, such as Servlet 3.0. If you’re interested in this certification, it can be obtained after obtaining the OCAJP and OCPJP certifications.
- HDPCD. Apache Spark Developer Certification is a hands-on, performance-based certification for Apache Spark. Java developers familiar with Scala or Python will be able to distinguish themselves in an environment geared more towards big data.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is the CAP Theorem?
- What does REST stand for?
- What are the different types of NoSQL databases?
- Can you explain SQL injection?
- How would you mitigate SQL injection risks?
- What programming languages do you prefer to work with?
- What’s the hardest part about writing code?
- How do you approach debugging?
- What’s the difference between software architecture and design?
- What are some CI/CD practices?
- How do you add scalability to a program?
- What was your most challenging project?
- How would you organize a software development team?
- Can you describe a Java Classloader?
- How would you use a static initializer?
- What’s an example of an item that can only be implemented using reflection?