What Does a Bookkeeper Do?
Much like accountants and auditors, bookkeepers are an essential part of the day-to-day business world. They work with the records and financial transactions of business clients. These records can typically include expenditures, receipts, accounts payable and receivable, and profit and loss records.
They also produce financial records for organizations, as well as check those and other documents for accuracy, helping to track expenses, bills, income, and more to assure the bottom line for their employers.
If you have a head for numbers, an eye for details, and are passionate about helping businesses better manage their finances, joining an organization as a bookkeeper might be an excellent fit for your talents.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Bookkeeper salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Bookkeeper is:
Bookkeeper Job Descriptions
Responsibilities will include
- Record day to day financial transactions and complete the posting process on assigned accounts
- Track and meet all filing deadlines for clients
- Preparation of fixed asset and depreciation schedules for reporting and tax purposes.
- Complete year end processes
- Able to complete all facets of account reconciliation as requested
- Understand acceptable inaccuracies when weighed against cost efficiencies
- Ability to recognize various needs and accommodate for different client types/industries
- Prepare and file sales, use, property, tax returns, etc.
- Assist account manager with production of accurate financial statements
- Understand and identifies payroll entries and issues
- Accurately track activities and workflow assignments
- Ability to follow up with clients on a consistent basis for items needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- Ability to speak clearly, consistently, and respectfully with our clients
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
High School Diploma or equivalent; Higher education preferred
2 years of bookkeeping experience preferred
Special training and knowledge
Knowledge of accounting & A/P software (CS Professional Suite, QB, and Bill.com), Microsoft Office knowledge. Creative Solutions accounting software. We are willing to train on accounting software for right candidate.
- Assist with AP/AR functions
- Create and import AP/AR data entries into finance system
- Review invoices, deposits, checks, and reimbursements
- Handle vendor communication or correspondence via phone or email
- Reconcile accounts by identify errors in postings
- Assist with fiscal year audits
- Bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable experience
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Excel and pivot tables
- Knowledge of financial software operations
- Ability to analyze financial information and reports
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills with a knack for collaboration
- Identify as a problem solver, a question asker, and an open communicator
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and strong follow through
- Work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently
- Manage multiple tasks in fast-paced work environment and meet deadlines
- Deliver high-quality books efficiently for our customers
- Delight customers with expert guidance and support
- Manage customer deadlines and expectations in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Work with our product and engineering teams to define and evolve our bookkeeping processes
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated self-starter and who possesses all of the following:
- B.S. or M.S. in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- A love of problem solving and making teams and processes more efficient
- Delight in providing an exceptional customer experience
- 1-2 years of work experience in the accounting industry a plus, but not required
Sample Interview Questions
- Why did you choose bookkeeping as a career?
- What relevant certifications do you have for this position?
- Have you worked in the bookkeeping field previously, or do you have any experience with bookkeeping software?
- What kind of financial information and reports were you in charge of in your previous role?
- Can you confidently explain the purpose of a balance sheet?
- What accounting systems and software are you most confident in, and have the most experience using?
- How would you explain the difference between a general ledger and a general journal?
- Do you have a confident understanding of tax policies, and how do you keep up to date with these?