What Does a Bookkeeper Do?
Much like accountants and auditors, bookkeeper plays a crucial role in maintaining the financial health of a company or organization. They are responsible for recording, organizing, and tracking financial transactions. This involves inputting data into ledger books, reconciling bank statements to ensure accuracy, and maintaining updated and organized financial records. Bookkeepers are also responsible for generating financial reports, such as income statements and balance sheets, that provide insight into a company’s financial standing.
In addition, they manage accounts payable and receivable, process invoices and payments, and assist with budget preparation. Frequently they will be the ones to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations, helping to prevent any legal or financial issues for the company. Overall, the role of a bookkeeper is to provide accurate and timely financial information to decision-makers within a company.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Bookkeeper salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Bookkeeper is:
Bookkeeper Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a bookkeeper, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
[Your Company Name] is looking for a part-time bookkeeper to join our team. The bookkeeper will be required to be knowledgeable of accounting software. The bookkeeper will be responsible for keeping track of and recording financial records and company financial data. The ideal candidate will be knowledge and information-oriented, with a deep understanding of tax measures as well as a good ability to pick up company policy. If you are hired, you will be required to report to the CFO of the company with any accounting errors or issues, and keep track of payroll data. If this position sounds like it could be for you, don’t hesitate to apply. We are an easy-going team and are looking forward to adding a new member.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Record day-to-day financial transactions and complete the posting process
- Bring the books to the trial balance stage
- Verify that transactions are recorded in the correct daybook, supplier’s ledger, customer ledger, and general ledger
- Perform partial checks of the posting process
- Complete tax forms
- Enter data, maintain records, and launch reports and financial statements
- Monitor office expenses and tally and enter cash receipts
- Coordinate bank deposits and report financial results regularly to management
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field.
Required skills and qualifications
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable and receivable principles
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proven ability to calculate, post, and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Extensive experience with data entry, record keeping, and computer operation
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 2+ years of accounting experience
- Accounting certificates preferred
- Organized and detail oriented
- Experience with QuickBooks
Responsibilities will include
- Record day to day financial transactions and complete the posting process on assigned accounts
- Track and meet all filing deadlines for clients
- Preparation of fixed asset and depreciation schedules for reporting and tax purposes.
- Complete year end processes
- Able to complete all facets of account reconciliation as requested
- Understand acceptable inaccuracies when weighed against cost efficiencies
- Ability to recognize various needs and accommodate for different client types/industries
- Prepare and file sales, use, property, tax returns, etc.
- Assist account manager with production of accurate financial statements
- Understand and identifies payroll entries and issues
- Accurately track activities and workflow assignments
- Ability to follow up with clients on a consistent basis for items needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- Ability to speak clearly, consistently, and respectfully with our clients
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
High School Diploma or equivalent; Higher education preferred
2 years of bookkeeping experience preferred
Special training and knowledge
Knowledge of accounting & A/P software (CS Professional Suite, QB, and Bill.com), Microsoft Office knowledge. Creative Solutions accounting software. We are willing to train on accounting software for right candidate.
- Assist with AP/AR functions
- Create and import AP/AR data entries into finance system
- Review invoices, deposits, checks, and reimbursements
- Handle vendor communication or correspondence via phone or email
- Reconcile accounts by identify errors in postings
- Assist with fiscal year audits
- Bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable experience
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Excel and pivot tables
- Knowledge of financial software operations
- Ability to analyze financial information and reports
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills with a knack for collaboration
- Identify as a problem solver, a question asker, and an open communicator
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and strong follow through
- Work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently
- Manage multiple tasks in fast-paced work environment and meet deadlines
- Deliver high-quality books efficiently for our customers
- Delight customers with expert guidance and support
- Manage customer deadlines and expectations in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Work with our product and engineering teams to define and evolve our bookkeeping processes
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated self-starter and who possesses all of the following:
- B.S. or M.S. in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- A love of problem solving and making teams and processes more efficient
- Delight in providing an exceptional customer experience
- 1-2 years of work experience in the accounting industry a plus, but not required
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Uniform Certified Public Bookkeeper Examination (UCPBA). The Uniform Certified Public Bookkeeper Examination is a test created in order to ensure the quality and knowledge of bookkeepers. This certification is widely recognized and can be a fantastic and reasonably easy certificate to get. The certificate is developed and presented by The National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers, which makes it a legitimate and common certification.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA). A certified public accountant is required to take an exam specific to the state in which they wish to practice in. This certification is fantastic for any official or employee looking to go into the accounting field. The exam ensures the basics of knowledge in the accounting field, as well as the public accounting field specifically, is maintained and the employee is competent when issued a license.
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you explain your experience with bookkeeping and accounting principles?
- How do you maintain and reconcile financial records, such as accounts payable and receivable?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to identify and resolve discrepancies in financial records?
- How do you prepare and file financial reports, such as balance sheets and income statements?
- Can you describe your experience with accounting software and tools?
- How do you handle and process payments and invoices?
- Can you explain your experience with budgeting and forecasting?
- How do you ensure compliance with financial regulations and laws?
- How do you communicate financial information to non-financial team members and management?
- Can you give an example of a successful cost-saving or revenue-generating initiative you implemented in a previous role?