What Does a Quality Manager Do?
A quality manager establishes and maintains quality control procedures and standards to ensure that products or services meet or exceed customer expectations. They supervise quality engineers and other quality control personnel to ensure that products or services meet specifications and regulations. These managers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, technology, and construction.
Quality managers must possess strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, as well as a thorough understanding of regulatory requirements and industry quality standards. Quality control plans should be developed and implemented, quality data should be monitored and analyzed, and recommendations should be provided to senior management.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Quality manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Quality Manager is:
Quality Manager Job Descriptions
- Responsible for direct management of all Quality Assurance associates
- Responsible for ensuring Food Safety and Food Quality policies and procedures are adhered to including but not limited by SQF Code, CFIA, HACCP, Refresco Quality, and any customer quality requirements
- Responsible for direct management and utilization of laboratory (analytical and microbiology), water treatment, syrup blending, sanitation, microbiological equipment, raw materials, and all quality processes
- Optimize resources while ensuring raw materials and finished product meet specifications and manufacturing standards and in accordance with FDA, CFIA, GMP’s, HACCP, and all other governmental policies, procedures, and regulations
- Oversee daily Quality Assurance inspections to ensure all products are meeting compliance
- Write, update, and maintain SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) for the Quality Assurance Program
- Champion internal audit process through continuous improvements, shared best practices, and teamwork
- Leads the development and implementation of Food Safety Fundamentals, the Food Safety Plan and Food Quality Plan
- Oversee development, implementation, review, and maintenance of SQF program
- Communicate to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of SQF
- Responsible to ensure that all SQF documents are safely stored, maintained, and accessible
- Responsible for departmental non-conformances and implementation of corrective action ensuring all corrective actions are documented and outstanding actions closed in timely manner
- Ensure compliance to all OHSA and environmental regulatory and corporate standards. Investigate and identify root causes of any non-compliance
- Accountable for a safe working environment through the development of strategies focused on accident reduction as well as energy and waste minimization
- Oversee effective deployment of human resources throughout the department and ensure the correct administration of the collective Bargaining Agreement
Required skills and competencies
- Experience in Food/ Beverage Manufacturing preferred
- Proficient in Excel, Word, SAP, and Power Point
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, results oriented
- Organized and detail oriented, adaptable to change
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
Education and experience
- BS Degree or Engineering preferred
- Minimum 5 years of direct management experience in Quality within a manufacturing environment
- SQF Practitioner certification preferred
- Have completed HACCP training and be experienced in implement and maintain HACCP based Food Safety plans
- Quality Assurance management systems, food safety and security standards, and governmental regulatory relating to the food/beverage industry
- Analyze guest reviews or other feedback to look for operational improvement
- Assist in the training of colleagues and leaders in delivery Century Plaza service standards
- Drive the hotel to constantly approve in order to achieve top hotel in (City)
- Oversee the VIPs of the hotel and communicate with the operational departments to ensure a successful stay
Experience and skills
- Previous 5-star hotel experience is a plus
- Highly organized with an ability to communicate effectively with multiple departments
- Ability to analyze multiple sources of feedback to identify trends and action plans for improvement
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and reading data and analytics is a plus
- Lead implementation of KHMS and associated policies at plant site
- Implement and assure compliance to all Food Safety, Regulatory, and Quality policies
- Ensure USDA and FDA regulations and respective plant programs are in compliance
- Maintain robust food safety program (e.g.KHMC, HACCP, sanitation, pest control, GMP, traceability, etc.)
- Ensure implementation of and compliance to Sanitation policies, programs, and procedures
- Ensure compliance/audit readiness and review all quality systems and policies annually
- Ensure appropriate documentation in place to support compliance to policies and procedures
- Manage plant quality labs to ensure all methods- equipment and measurements meet gauge reliability and repeatability (R&R) standards in both the laboratory and all plant processes
- Ensure standard work through development of work documentation and training to standards
- Translate consumer/customer requirements (specifications), HACCP plans, Quality Policies, and regulations into a site control plan
- Ensure compliance to the control plan to deliver Food Safety, Regulatory, and Critical to Quality (CTQ) characteristics of a product or process
- Track, report, and review the Quality Performance Indicators on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement.
- Monitor process capability against specifications and drive improvement utilizing statistical tools (IQS)
- Develop, implement, and communicate effective product containment program to ensure appropriate control of quality/food safety defects.
- Own customer/consumer complaint investigation and resolution
- Ensure CAPA is utilized and effective actions are implemented and verified
- Increase capability of plant quality and laboratory staff through development and training
- As a member of the Plant Leadership Team, influence plant leadership to ensure all quality programs and systems are implemented effectively
- Ability to connect/influence local plant management and plant workforce to drive a best in class Quality Culture
- BS Food Science/Engineering/Chemistry, or other relevant sciences required
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of Food Safety and USDA Regulatory standards and policies
- Fundamental statistics (DMAIC Process/DFSS/Lean/metrology/MSA/sampling procedures)
- HACCP certified preferred
- Sanitation knowledge
- Development of quality knowledge for all plant employees; coaching- guidance- role model quality standards
Sample Interview Questions
- Do you have experience managing quality control teams? How do you motivate your team to meet quality standards?
- What methods do you use to ensure that quality control plans are aligned with regulatory requirements and customer expectations?
- When did you implement a new quality control process or system, and what impact did it have on the quality of your products or services?
- Are you familiar with developing and implementing quality control plans, such as FMEAs and control plans?
- When have you worked with cross-functional teams to ensure quality standards were met throughout the product development cycle?
- What metrics do you use to measure and track the effectiveness of quality control measures?
- What is the best way to balance quality control with production or delivery deadlines?
- When identifying quality control risks, how do you mitigate them?
- How do you use the results of your internal or external quality audits to improve quality processes?
- To improve quality control processes, how have you applied statistical tools and techniques to analyze quality data?
- In what ways do you communicate quality issues to production teams and senior management?