What Does a Store Manager Do?
Store managers oversee the daily operations of a retail store, including the management of employees, sales, and customer satisfaction. They are responsible for ensuring that the store meets its financial targets, ensuring that the store provides a pleasant shopping experience, and managing the day-to-day operations of the store. They also handle any customer complaints or issues that may arise. Personnel duties and responsibilities include scheduling staff, hiring and training new hires, and terminating poor performers.
Successful store managers have strong leadership and management skills while motivating and inspiring their staff to achieve sales goals and objectives. They must have a strong understanding of retail operations, including sales, marketing, and customer service to develop creative and effective store promotions that will attract, delight, and retain customers.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Store manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Store Manager is:
Store Manager Job Descriptions
ABC Company is looking for a Store Manager (SM) to oversee the day-to-day operations of our (City) location. The SM of an ABC Company store is positive, outgoing, and has a high-energy personality. They are entrepreneurial and highly focused on customer experience while driving sales. The SM operates with service and profitability in mind through the successful development and management of a high-class team. The SM will take full ownership of the store’s business at all levels.
- Responsible for creating a compelling experience for every customer and always acts in the best interest of the customer
- Become well connected and engaged in the local community to drive brand awareness, traffic, and appointments
- Recruit and hire a team that is passionate about ABC Company’s mission
- Inspire and empower a team so that each person contributes to the productivity of the store and delivers on ABC Company’s mission and values
- Responsible for training the store team on all systems, customer experience, and product knowledge
- Achieve payroll plans through managing store schedules and adapting to business conditions based on weekly and monthly sales
- Ensure sound inventory management by following all policies and procedures
- Ensure all visual merchandising direction is met and that presentation of all product as well as display and fixtures are reflective of brand guidelines and standards
- Ensure the selling floor is neat, clean, organized, and reflects the brand image at all times
- You have 3+ years of experience in retail store management and coaching teams
- You’re excited to work for a fast growing brand and about contributing to the company’s growth
- You love being organized and have an eye for details
- You’re excited to increase brand exposure in your market
- You have sharp analytical skills, including basic retail math, calculating inventory on-hands, tracking sales throughout your shift, etc.
- You’re comfortable using technology to perform all job functions, including sales reporting, communication between stores and HQ offices, managing inventory, and corresponding with customers
- You have strong verbal and written skills – allowing for communication of the company’s goals and objectives
- You can work a flexible schedule, including blackout periods during holidays, nights, and weekends (must work Saturdays and Sundays if needed)
- You can lift up to 40 pounds and are comfortable with constant standing, walking, squatting, kneeling, bending, carrying items, and reaching overhead; comfortable climbing ladders
To recruit, hire, train, and manage store personnel to achieve store sales plan, control expenses, and to protect company assets while pursing growth opportunities.
Essential job functions
- Meet and exceed personal and store sales goal and standards of performance
- Provide a fun, full service experience to all customers
- Recruit, interview, and hire high caliber employees with in store needs
- Train and develop a successful sales team
- Provide feedback, coaching, and accountability to all employees
- Conduct Monthly Performance Reviews
- Conduct Monthly Store Meetings
- Recognize talented staff and develop them for growth within the company
- Supervise and manage all aspects of daily store operations
- Supervise and manage all aspects of Loss Prevention practices
- Plan weekly staffing schedules in compliance with schedules policy
- Resolve customer issues effectively
- Understand the ABC Company culture and demonstrate it to the team
- Prior management experience in retail environment preferred
- 1-2 years retail sales experience
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Desire to succeed in fast paced retail environment
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to climb, reach, bend, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work 45 hours per week
- Ability to work night and weekend shifts
- Completed all training programs leading up to Manager in Training position
- Stand for long periods of time
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Age requirement for full time employment may vary based on state
Our Store Managers bring the ABC Company experience to life by managing store operations, driving financial success, building great teams, and building a meeting place in their communities. They delight and uplift customers through a human connection. Their work goes beyond a perfectly made beverage; it’s about human connection. They enjoy being able to achieve these aspirations autonomously, while leveraging our world class brand and business practices.
- Grow a successful, multi-million dollar business: drive sales leveraging your business acumen, efficiency, and problem solving skills
- Nurture talent and lead a team: engage the hearts and minds of your team and develop their skills so that they realize their personal best, both as individuals and as thriving teams
- Inspire others: become a dynamic brand ambassador dedicated to driving and achieving results through your team
- Impact your Community: integrate your business with the community to create better moments in peoples’ lives, from our partners to our customers, communities, and planet
- 3 years retail/customer service management experience or 4+ years of US Military service
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Entrepreneurial mentality with experience in a sales focused environment
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to coach and mentor team partners with professional maturity
- Minimum High School or GED
- Legal documentation establishing your identity and eligibility to be legally employed in the country in which you apply
- Ability to work full time (the work regularly demands in excess of 40 hours per week) including variable hours including early mornings, evenings, weekends, and/ or holidays
Sample Interview Questions
- What makes you the right candidate for this position?
- If your colleagues had to describe you in one word, what would it be?
- What are your strengths in the role of a store manager? What are your weaknesses?
- What made you choose a career in retail?
- Have you ever had to fire a sales associate or assistant manager? How did you handle it?
- How do you motivate your staff?
- What methods do you use to train your staff?
- How do you handle delegating tasks to your staff?
- What do you do to ensure task completion by your staff?
- What steps do you take to keep the lines of communication open between you and your staff?
- What is your knowledge of key metrics?
- Tell me about a time when you developed and implemented a store-specific strategy in your role as store manager.
- What is your comfort level with customer service?
- Have you ever had to address shrink in your store?
- Walk me through the inventory process at your last store.
- What is your sales tracking process?
- Have you ever had to handle an angry customer? Tell me how you handled it.
- Have you ever had to resolve a conflict issue between staff members? What steps did you take?
- What steps would you take to motivate and encourage a staff member that fails to meet production goals?