Flight attendants are responsible for attending to the safety and comfort of passengers aboard a flight. Typical duties may include performing safety checks, demonstrating emergency procedures, attending pre-flight briefings, and serving snacks to passengers. This position requires excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
A flight attendant job will require education, certification, and training. They will aim to promote a positive image of the airline, by ensuring the cabin crew is capable of performing their duties properly and making each flight as stress-free as possible for all passengers, requiring an aptitude to handle difficult situations as well. Flight attendants will work long nights, weekends, and holidays on the aircraft, spending time away from home traveling to different locations.
Sample job description #1
ABC Airways has immediate openings for Flight Attendants to join our rapidly growing Airline. Flight Attendant candidates are expected to meet the highest standards of customer service, professionalism, personal integrity, and neat appearance all while providing the safest experience for our discerning clientele. Our flight attendants are the “face” of our Company and are significant contributors to the success of our airline. We are looking for individuals who are capable and willing to assist in our pursuit of excellence within the VIP air transportation industry. Successful candidates will be motivated, conscientious, decisive, and capable of making critical decisions at a moment’s notice.
- Anticipate customer needs, providing a world-class onboard experience
- Remain positive, respectful, and understanding during challenging situations
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of all abnormal, medical, and emergency procedures
- Must possess polished and professional interpersonal skills with a positive attitude and a customer-oriented mindset
- Ability to work with animals and around other allergens and products
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations
- Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from management, crew, passengers and the general public
- Ability to speak and be understood in English, including shouted verbal commands during emergency situations.
- Must be willing to work in a time-sensitive environment in a self-reliant manner and effectively handle stress that is associated with meeting deadlines and managing unexpected change
- Capable of interpreting various and multiple instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Must be able to remain calm, think and react quickly in all types of emergency situations
- Ability to process information quickly and react in a positive manner during unexpected and/ or serious situations.
- Must possess a valid U.S. passport or foreign passport with work authorization
- Must be authorized by law to work in the United States and able to travel in and out of the United States
- Must pass FAA and Company-mandated drug and alcohol tests
Education and experience:
- High School Diploma required
- Minimum of two years of customer service experience is required
- Previous Flight Attendant experience is preferred
- We are headquartered and located at the X Airport in (city, state). As a provider of on-demand air charter services, our flights are both domestic and international. Flexible hours are required as our flights occur 24/7/365 around the globe.
- Must be able to bend, lift, push, pull, squat, kneel, reach, climb, stand and walk for prolonged periods (sometimes with aircraft turbulence)
- Must possess the physical strength to reach and operate all emergency equipment and exits using necessary movements and force up to and including 100 pounds
- Capable of lifting objects above shoulders up to and including 35 pounds
- Ability to push and pull moveable carts weighing in excess of 200 pounds
- Must be able to sit in assigned jump seat with the installed seatbelt and shoulder harness fastened without any modifications
- Must be able to move about aircraft and perform all required functions freely, effectively, and quickly in a confined environment
Sample job description #2
The primary function of ABC company flight attendants is to ensure the safety of our guests while aboard company aircraft, by being physically and psychologically capable of performing safety procedures and assisting guests in the event of an emergency. Flight Attendants work in a fast-paced environment; they must be able to handle emergency situations and effectively deal with all types of personalities in an attentive and pleasant manner.
- Attend preflight briefings concerning weather, altitudes, routes, emergency procedures, crew coordination, lengths of flights, food and beverage services offered, and numbers of guests
- Pleasantly greet and direct guests to their assigned seats and answer flight-related questions
- Assist guests with stowing carry-on luggage in overhead compartments or underneath cabin seats
- Demonstrate use of safety equipment (e.g., seat belts, oxygen masks, and life jackets) and emergency procedures prior to take-off
- Walk aisles of planes to check for guest observation of safety regulations, enforce and advise guests of safety infractions and effectively diffuse and resolve difficult guest’s situations
- Direct and assist guests in emergency procedures, such as evacuating a plane following an emergency landing
- Provide food and beverage service consistently and as prescribed by procedure
- Collect and reconcile payments for various onboard products such as; alcoholic beverages, meals, duty free sales, etc.
- Administer first aid, if necessary
- Make written and verbal reports of emergency/safety incidents occurring during flight
- Prepare guests and aircraft for landing, following procedures
- Satisfactorily complete annual FAA-approved re-certification provided by ABC company
- Ability to obtain and maintain an AOA Badge
- Able to be present to work alternative schedules, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Able to work in climates and locations across the globe and work variable shifts
- Able to fly at high altitudes
- Able to meet physical demands of the job
- Assist ill or incapacitated passengers and fellow crew members
- Evacuate the aircraft in heavy, dense smoke during a cabin fire
- Handle and operate oxygen bottles and fire extinguishers
- Remove and lift emergency cabin windows (weighing up to 60 pounds)
- Jump down the emergency slide from a height of approximately 24.5 feet
- Must be 21 years old or older at the time of application
- High school diploma, or GED equivalent; college education or degree preferred
- Able to read, write, and speak English proficiently
- Successfully complete an FAA-approved, unpaid eight-week intensive training program provided by Hawaiian Airlines
- Able to relocate within the state of X
- Able to be present to work alternative schedules, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to sit in a cabin crew jump seat with seatbelt and shoulder harness fastened
- Successfully clear tuberculosis (TB) test
- Successfully clear pre-employment drug test*
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must be in possession of a valid passport
- Must possess the legal right to travel from all countries served by ABC comany
- Travel documents must remain valid throughout all phases of training and employment
- Two years of direct customer experience in the hospitality or airline industry
Sample job description #3
ABC Airlines serves the travel needs of our customers, both domestically and abroad as we care for people on life’s journey. We are looking for individuals who are reliable, resilient, customer focused, and professional. Listening, taking initiative, and making a difference, our Flight Attendants are champions for an elevated customer experience. They deliver the best service as ambassadors in the skies and are dedicated to caring for the thousands of people who choose to fly with us.
What you’ll do
- Set a high standard and provide remarkable in-flight service
- Able to turn challenges into solutions or alternatives
- Think independently while still being part of a collaborative team
- Handle a wide variety of situations while in continuous contact with the public, both on and off the aircraft
- Work independently and as part of a team without supervision
- Ensure the safety and comfort of our customers
- Respond to a variety of emergency and non-emergency situations
- Follow applicable regulations and work rules
Physical demands and working conditions
- Position requires some physical exertion, such as pulling, pushing, reaching, bending, walking, and lifting
- Long periods of standing and speaking
- Airport ramp operations are noisy and can be hazardous without due caution
- Extensive travel, must be able to spend consecutive nights away from home and endure all climates
- Varying work schedules that include evenings and weekends
- Skilled in handling difficult situations, problem-solving, complaint resolution, and conflict de-escalation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; provide friendly reception to all customers
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- College education or two years’ customer service experience preferred
- Must be able to make announcements, give emergency orders, and communicate in the English language
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Must be in possession of a valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with applicable VISAs
- Must possess the legal right to travel unrestricted to/from all states and countries that are served by ABC Airlines
- Travel documents must remain valid throughout all phases of training and employment
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sample interview questions
- Why are you interested in becoming a flight attendant?
- Tell me about a situation that you had to deal with a difficult customer.
- Why do you want to work for our airline?
- What does outstanding customer service look like?
- How would you respond to a customer who was refusing to follow rules and regulations on a flight?
- Tell me a time that you had to juggle multiple high-priority tasks?
- What qualities should a flight attendant possess?
- Tell me about your flight attendant experience?
- How would you deal with a passenger who is afraid of flying and starts panicking?
- What are the first few steps you would take if there was an emergency in the air?
- How do you stay motivated?