What Does a Quality Technician Do?
Quality technicians test and report on the quality of products. They’re involved in the entire course of manufacturing. Quality technicians work in a wide variety of industries, including transportation, textiles, software, and manufacturing. It’s up to the quality technician to interpret the quality standards, engineering diagrams, and specifications for the products, then execute tests according to those instructions. If there’s an issue, the quality technician compiles that data and reports it to engineers and other stakeholders.
In some cases, quality technicians also offer ideas for how to improve products after conducting quality testing. For this reason, quality technicians need high-level interpersonal communication skills. A high level of attention to detail and organization skills are also crucial parts of this role to compile data and track testing specifications.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Quality technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Quality Technician is:
Quality Technician Job Descriptions
This position supports the execution of routine testing in the Quality Control Microbiology laboratory while strictly adhering to site work instructions, Federal Regulations, cGMP, and ABC Company policies and procedures. This position requires the individual to perform route testing as scheduled to support production, method validation as well as the stability program and complete required documentation.
- Knowledge of general Microbiological techniques including aseptic processing and culturing of both bacterial and viral isolates
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency of functions within the following systems are required: SAP, Trackwise, LIMS, MASTER, and eDoc
- Activities include:
- assisting with maintaining safety and compliance in the laboratory work area
- performing cleaning of laboratories, equipment, and ancillary areas as required
- attending/contributing to scheduled team meetings, department, and safety meetings
- participating in training activities including own individual professional development, creation/revision of training modules, as well as providing training to others on processes, procedures, assays, and equipment with which they are proficient
- demonstrate proficiency in the use and knowledge of change controls, CAPAs, and the QA deviation system; perform initial deviation investigations through analyst interview
- develop a working knowledge of appropriate compendia and/or regulatory guidance
- This position requires proficiency and understanding of the theory related to processes, assays, and equipment as well as the ability to identify issues/trends
- This position will be filled as off-shift which includes second shift or weekend day
- Participation in various and assigned phases of Quality Control testing
- Duties may include (but are not limited to):
- Visual Evaluation of vials, syringes, plates, bottles, and canisters, as well as setup and breakdown of equipment
- Documentation, waste disposal, cleaning of laboratories, and all other activities as assigned
- The candidate must pass an eye exam and receive vaccinations to be eligible for this position
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Microbiology or Biological Sciences with 1-5 years of experience
- Prior Quality Control experiences are desirable
- Knowledge of microbiological techniques and experience with tissue culture, sterility, or bioburden is preferred
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong writing skills are crucial. Individuals must be familiar with cGMP guidelines
- The candidate must be able to work in a team environment
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join ABC Company’s global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible, and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in ABC Company’s food ingredients and bio-industrial business, where we anticipate trends around taste, nutrition, and safety to innovate and provide solutions to manufacturers, retailers, and food service companies.
Job purpose and impact
As a Food Safety and Quality Technician at ABC Company, you will complete routine analytical and laboratory testing in support of the food safety quality and operational teams. We are looking for a hardworking person who will perform routine analysis of product testing, be responsible for checking and monitoring instrumentation performance, and conduct tests for which we are going to provide intermediate supervision. In this role, you will document results into databases and/or communicate test results.
- Perform routine analysis on final, and process, products. Guarantees finished products meet required specifications prior to releasing shipments
- Enters data into databases and communicates results verbally or in writing as required. Resolves problems by examining and evaluating data; select corrective steps
- Assists with the evaluation and interpretation of highly complex data, identify problems with atypical test results consults with upper-level personnel
- Supports trials and experiments under the direction of more senior team members
- Performs food safety/quality leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to facility employees
- Handle complex clerical, administrative, technical, or customer support issues under minimal supervision, while escalating only the most complex issues to the appropriate staff
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma, secondary education level, or equivalent
- Minimum of four years of related work experience
- Possesses proven working knowledge of laboratory instrumentation
- Able and willing to work on rotating shifts including weekends and holidays
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of experience within a laboratory or food manufacturing environment
- Working knowledge of ISO 22000 accreditations or standards
At ABC Company, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
Performs medical device evaluations to prepare service/repair estimates and monitors the quality of outgoing medical devices.
- Evaluates incoming medical devices in accordance with procedural guidelines to accurately prepare service/repair estimates
- Evaluates outgoing medical devices in accordance with procedural guidelines to accurately determine their conformance with requirements and/or specifications and to minimize false acceptance
- Interfaces with data collections systems (e.g. Oracle) to properly report the status and results of product evaluations
- Aware of and conforms to company ISO goals and objectives and supports company ISO requirements
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have the ability to learn Oracle data entry procedures
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands, talk, see, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
How to Hire a Quality Technician
When hiring a quality technician, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a quality technician opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What methods do you use to maintain focus during technical work?
- How do you remove external factors from the results in data?
- How do you find the weak link in the production and resolve it?
- How many years of experience do you have in the field, and do you have any relevant certifications in this field?
- Would you consider yourself organized?
- Do you have the ability to run and compute complex mathematical problems?
- Do you require supervision for high-quality work?
- As a quality technician, what is a problem which you have successfully solved during your work?
- How would you go about resolving an issue and presenting the data in an accurate manner?