What is an IT Support Technician?
IT support technicians support computer users by helping them operate and fix issues with different computer networks and equipment. To succeed in this role, IT support technicians must have a knack for programming and problem-solving.
IT support technicians provide technical support by installing, testing, and upgrading computer hardware and software. This includes answering phone calls and live chats to work with clients to fix any technical difficulties they may be having online. It is important for IT support technicians to stay up-to-date on cybersecurity to implement safe technological practices.
This job opportunity allows IT support technicians to apply their knowledge from previous computer science classes to uphold company operations by helping employees complete their tasks online smoothly. IT support technicians will have opportunities for promotion to higher IT roles such as IT manager or systems architect.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
Average Salary and Compensation
IT support technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an IT Support Technician is:
How to Hire an IT Support Technician
There are a number of initial considerations when hiring an IT support technician:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to successfully source and recruit for this role?
- Complexity: Does your project require a senior professional, or is a mid- or junior-level inspector sufficient?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or a permanent requirement?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effort effectively?
- Urgency: How time-sensitive is this need? What happens if it remains unfilled?
- Headcount: Do you have room on your team for a new W2 employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. We recommend the following options when hiring an IT support technician:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for an IT support technician opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
Duties and responsibilities
- Supports the Technology Coordinator and effectively carries out assigned duties
- Configuration & deployment of 1:1 devices
- Direct support for students, teachers and administrators
- Mobile device management using Jamf Pro
- Infrastructure Maintenance: Meraki Networking, Nutanix VM
- Google Workspace management
- Resolution of IT Help Desk tickets
- Support for hardware or software installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for all district technology users
- Support for Epson BrightLink and Promethean Interactive boards
- Support assistance for NWEA and New Meridian Testing
- Support and Troubleshooting PowerSchool SIS
- VOIP Phone Support
- Inventory management of district equipment
- Training for end users technology and software
- Troubleshooting and analysis of complex issues
- 1-3 years of experience with Windows, Apple, and Chromebook devices
- 1-3 years of IT Support
- Experience with Google Workspace, PowerSchool SIS, or MDM preferred
- Desired experience with Windows Systems Administration, Active Directory, DHCP & DNS, Veeam, Nutanix
- One or more industry certifications: A+, Network +, Microsoft, or Google is a plus
Under direct supervision from senior team members, provide service desk support, and resolve problems to practitioner’s satisfaction
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT helpdesk
- Troubleshoot and resolve all problems encountered with hardware and software. Escalate requests to the appropriate party, as needed. Replace or repair defective parts and equipment
- Provide on-site desktop/laptop support including new hardware setup, imaging, and deployment
- Provide minor telecom system support including mobile devices, voicemail, and user programming
- Utilize and maintain ServiceNow
Assist with on-boarding and off-boarding of users
- Ensure work station has computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk phone, and any additional specialized equipment. Install, test and configure new workstation, peripheral equipment, and software
- Conduct technology training for new user
- Ensure all documented processes are followed to ensure Baker Tilly’s data and assets are protected
Provide support to the technology team
- Maintain inventory of all equipment, software, and software licenses
- Conduct briefings and demonstrations for uses to enhance system productivity
- Assist in the development of training coursework and materials
Maintain and expand the knowledge base in the area of expertise
- Successful completion of initial start-up plan, to develop a solid understanding of the organization’s core technologies
- Attend courses to develop and keep skills and knowledge current
- Comply with continuing education requirements
- Increase efficiencies, technical ability and interpersonal skills
- Associate’s degree in a field such as Computer Technology or related field. Certifications such as MCP, A+, and HDI Support Center Specialist preferred
- Minimum of one (1) year prior experience with providing workstation support
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team effectively.
- The ability to prioritize, be attentive to details, maintain confidentiality, and provide exceptional client service is required
- Sound written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively interface with all levels of Firm management, practitioners, clients, and other external business contacts
- Strong analytical and organizational skills are necessary
- A sense of urgency and a commitment to timely completion of projects. Attention to detail along with a commitment to quality and confidentiality
Duties and responsibilities
- Respond to daily end user support requests, such as hardware, software, peripheral, mobile device, and VOIP phone issues for both on-site and remote users
- Ability to setup, configure, and roll-out of hardware and software as needed
- Organize and maintain IT Inventory and assist in the deployment/retirement of hardware as needed
- Document incidents and processes as directed and ensure that all tickets requiring follow up work and/or calls receive appropriate attention
- Maintain, analyze, and troubleshoot, software and computer peripherals
- Assist in developing and documenting improvements to current processes
- Test, image and clean PC’s, laptop, monitors, printers, and other related hardware
- Escalate all service requests and change orders that may require additional resources for timely closure or escalated priority
- Complies with all IS Policies, Procedures and Standards including but not limited to: Systems/Workstation Security, HIPAA Privacy, and Security Regulations associated with Electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI)
- Stay abreast of new and emerging security threats and mitigation approaches for your respective area and perform periodic security reviews of your assigned areas
- Work to ensure regulatory compliance (HIPAA, etc.) in all aspects of data utilization and information access
- Ensure all proposed changes follow the Change Management policy and procedure for production changes
- Use, protect, and disclose patient’s protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards and enforce such for all direct reports
- Limit viewing of PHI to the absolute minimum as necessary to perform assigned duties
- Report any security or HIPAA violations or concerns to the HIPAA Officers in a timely fashion
- Minimum of 2-3 years prior experience in a Technical Support capacity
- Ability to be part of an on-call rotation and work a flexible schedule as needed
- Position is based in (City, State), with occasional travel to (City, State). Initial training will be based out of Parsippany. Candidate must be willing and able to travel to either location as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, equivalent work experience in the IT field, and/or industry certification(s)
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide support over the phone for remote staff and customers
- Ability to be a flexible, team player and willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment are a must
- Ability to lift heavy equipment and perform manual labor as needed
- At least 2 years of hands on technical knowledge of laptop and desktop design and software installation experience in a break-fix environment
- Ability to complete all assigned tasks as scheduled including, but not limited to:
- Filling out Standard Checklists as required
- Entering Service Requests into the call tracking system
- Log all calls into the call tracking system ensuring that the user name and related details are recorded accurately
- Escalating Service Requests to the appropriate group or individuals as detailed in a timely and efficient manner
- Exceptional Customer Service and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to adhere to procedure
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office
- Experience using Office 365 is a plus
- Knowledgeable about endpoint protection and associated best practices
- Proficient with Mobile Devices, wireless networks, and peripherals such as printers, scanner, etc.
- Strong analytical, logical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with strong attention to detail
Sample Interview Questions
- What are the hardware components of a desktop computer or laptop?
- What steps do you take when a user tells you their computer is running slow?
- Can you name some of the latest computer processors?
- What is TCP/IP?
- What are RJ45 and RJ11 connectors?
- What are the different types of DRAM?
- What is the difference between ROM and RAM?
- What are the basic hardware components of a computer?
- What are the components needed to set up a basic home network?
- What steps do you take when troubleshooting a networking issue?
- Which software troubleshooting tool could you use to determine which protocol is configured with the wrong address?
- How do you maintain a stable and secure network?
- How do you provide efficient end-user support?
- How do you troubleshoot a crashing application?
- Which IT software are you proficient at using?