What Does an IT Support Technician Do?
IT support technicians are professionals who provide technical support and assistance to computer users. Their responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving software, hardware, and network problems users encounter.
An IT support technician must possess a wide range of technical skills and knowledge, including knowledge of computer hardware and software, operating systems, networks, and security. Furthermore, they must be able to communicate effectively with users of all technical skill levels and solve issues that arise.
It is common for an IT support technician to set up and configure computer systems, install and maintain software, troubleshoot hardware and software problems, provide technical assistance to users, ensure that all computer systems and networks function smoothly and securely, and troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
IT support technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an IT Support Technician is:
IT Support Technician Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional IT support technician. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
[Your Company Name] is searching for an experienced IT support technician to join our team and help our users get the support they need. As an ideal candidate, you are licensed and have proven experience maintaining and monitoring computer systems and networks, solving complex technical issues, and collaborating with team members across all departments and external users to assist them with their technical requirements.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Install and configure computer software, hardware, networks, and peripheral equipment
- Troubleshoot and resolve software and hardware issues quickly and efficiently
- Provide steps to help internal and external users resolve technical problems
- Maintain technical support procedures and reports
- Analyze records and logs to spot underlying trends and potential issues
- Support the implementation of new solutions or applications
- Create accounts for new users and assist with password or login problems
- Test and evaluate new technology
- Provide insight into technical requirements
- Repair and replace equipment as necessary
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in a technical support role
Required skills and qualifications
- Experience with a variety of software, hardware, and applications
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent customer service skills in solving technical issues
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work fast under pressure
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize work
- Extensive experience working with different operating systems, hardware, or network systems
- Certification in Microsoft, Linux, Cisco, etc.
- Experience in tech support, desktop support, or a similar role
Duties and responsibilities
- Supports the Technology Coordinator and effectively carries out assigned duties
- Configuration & deployment of 1:1 devices
- Direct support for students, teachers and administrators
- Mobile device management using Jamf Pro
- Infrastructure Maintenance: Meraki Networking, Nutanix VM
- Google Workspace management
- Resolution of IT Help Desk tickets
- Support for hardware or software installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for all district technology users
- Support for Epson BrightLink and Promethean Interactive boards
- Support assistance for NWEA and New Meridian Testing
- Support and Troubleshooting PowerSchool SIS
- VOIP Phone Support
- Inventory management of district equipment
- Training for end users technology and software
- Troubleshooting and analysis of complex issues
- 1-3 years of experience with Windows, Apple, and Chromebook devices
- 1-3 years of IT Support
- Experience with Google Workspace, PowerSchool SIS, or MDM preferred
- Desired experience with Windows Systems Administration, Active Directory, DHCP & DNS, Veeam, Nutanix
- One or more industry certifications: A+, Network +, Microsoft, or Google is a plus
Under direct supervision from senior team members, provide service desk support, and resolve problems to practitioner’s satisfaction
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT helpdesk
- Troubleshoot and resolve all problems encountered with hardware and software. Escalate requests to the appropriate party, as needed. Replace or repair defective parts and equipment
- Provide on-site desktop/laptop support including new hardware setup, imaging, and deployment
- Provide minor telecom system support including mobile devices, voicemail, and user programming
- Utilize and maintain ServiceNow
Assist with on-boarding and off-boarding of users
- Ensure work station has computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk phone, and any additional specialized equipment. Install, test and configure new workstation, peripheral equipment, and software
- Conduct technology training for new user
- Ensure all documented processes are followed to ensure Baker Tilly’s data and assets are protected
Provide support to the technology team
- Maintain inventory of all equipment, software, and software licenses
- Conduct briefings and demonstrations for uses to enhance system productivity
- Assist in the development of training coursework and materials
Maintain and expand the knowledge base in the area of expertise
- Successful completion of initial start-up plan, to develop a solid understanding of the organization’s core technologies
- Attend courses to develop and keep skills and knowledge current
- Comply with continuing education requirements
- Increase efficiencies, technical ability and interpersonal skills
- Associate’s degree in a field such as Computer Technology or related field. Certifications such as MCP, A+, and HDI Support Center Specialist preferred
- Minimum of one (1) year prior experience with providing workstation support
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team effectively.
- The ability to prioritize, be attentive to details, maintain confidentiality, and provide exceptional client service is required
- Sound written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively interface with all levels of Firm management, practitioners, clients, and other external business contacts
- Strong analytical and organizational skills are necessary
- A sense of urgency and a commitment to timely completion of projects. Attention to detail along with a commitment to quality and confidentiality
Duties and responsibilities
- Respond to daily end user support requests, such as hardware, software, peripheral, mobile device, and VOIP phone issues for both on-site and remote users
- Ability to setup, configure, and roll-out of hardware and software as needed
- Organize and maintain IT Inventory and assist in the deployment/retirement of hardware as needed
- Document incidents and processes as directed and ensure that all tickets requiring follow up work and/or calls receive appropriate attention
- Maintain, analyze, and troubleshoot, software and computer peripherals
- Assist in developing and documenting improvements to current processes
- Test, image and clean PC’s, laptop, monitors, printers, and other related hardware
- Escalate all service requests and change orders that may require additional resources for timely closure or escalated priority
- Complies with all IS Policies, Procedures and Standards including but not limited to: Systems/Workstation Security, HIPAA Privacy, and Security Regulations associated with Electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI)
- Stay abreast of new and emerging security threats and mitigation approaches for your respective area and perform periodic security reviews of your assigned areas
- Work to ensure regulatory compliance (HIPAA, etc.) in all aspects of data utilization and information access
- Ensure all proposed changes follow the Change Management policy and procedure for production changes
- Use, protect, and disclose patient’s protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards and enforce such for all direct reports
- Limit viewing of PHI to the absolute minimum as necessary to perform assigned duties
- Report any security or HIPAA violations or concerns to the HIPAA Officers in a timely fashion
- Minimum of 2-3 years prior experience in a Technical Support capacity
- Ability to be part of an on-call rotation and work a flexible schedule as needed
- Position is based in (City, State), with occasional travel to (City, State). Initial training will be based out of Parsippany. Candidate must be willing and able to travel to either location as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, equivalent work experience in the IT field, and/or industry certification(s)
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide support over the phone for remote staff and customers
- Ability to be a flexible, team player and willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment are a must
- Ability to lift heavy equipment and perform manual labor as needed
- At least 2 years of hands on technical knowledge of laptop and desktop design and software installation experience in a break-fix environment
- Ability to complete all assigned tasks as scheduled including, but not limited to:
- Filling out Standard Checklists as required
- Entering Service Requests into the call tracking system
- Log all calls into the call tracking system ensuring that the user name and related details are recorded accurately
- Escalating Service Requests to the appropriate group or individuals as detailed in a timely and efficient manner
- Exceptional Customer Service and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to adhere to procedure
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office
- Experience using Office 365 is a plus
- Knowledgeable about endpoint protection and associated best practices
- Proficient with Mobile Devices, wireless networks, and peripherals such as printers, scanner, etc.
- Strong analytical, logical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with strong attention to detail
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate. The Google IT Support Professional Certificate program was developed by Google as an IT help desk certification program designed to give candidates the skills they need to get a well-paying, entry-level job in the IT support field. Employing video lectures and hands-on labs, students learn the fundamental concepts of IT support, like networking, operating systems, customer service, troubleshooting, system administration, automation, network security, and more. Prior experience is not required.
- CompTIA A+ Certification. The CompTIA A+ Certification is the internationally recognized industry-standard certification for establishing a career in IT. Candidates can validate their IT core skills and abilities required in the workspace. The requirements for certification include passing two exams. Topics covered in the course include how to repair and configure mobile devices, how to set up and configure basic networks, all aspects of hardware, including monitors, CPUs, motherboards, hard drives, and RAM, what the cloud is and how virtualization works, and how to troubleshoot hardware and network issues. There are no prerequisites, although a basic familiarity with computers and networks is beneficial.
- CompTIA Network+. The CompTIA Network+ certification is widely considered one of the best IT certifications on the market. Certificate holders have proven their ability to troubleshoot networking issues, design networks, implement network security and protocols, and more on any platform. Candidates learn networking fundamentals such as network services, physical connections, and cloud connectivity, network implementations, and how to deploy ethernet solutions and configure wireless technologies, network operations, network security, and network troubleshooting. Certification is good for three years.
How to Hire an IT Support Technician
There are a number of initial considerations when hiring an IT support technician:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to successfully source and recruit for this role?
- Complexity: Does your project require a senior professional, or is a mid- or junior-level inspector sufficient?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or a permanent requirement?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effort effectively?
- Urgency: How time-sensitive is this need? What happens if it remains unfilled?
- Headcount: Do you have room on your team for a new W2 employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. We recommend the following options when hiring an IT support technician:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder when hiring an IT support technician:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What are the basic hardware components of a computer?
- What steps do you take when a user tells you their computer is running slow?
- What is TCP/IP?
- What are RJ45 and RJ11 connectors?
- What are the different types of DRAM?
- What is the difference between ROM and RAM?
- What are the components needed to set up a basic home network?
- What steps do you take when troubleshooting a networking issue?
- Which software troubleshooting tool could you use to determine which protocol is configured with the wrong address?
- How do you maintain a stable and secure network?
- Can you explain what phishing and social engineering is?
- How do you provide efficient end-user support?
- How do you troubleshoot a crashing application?
- Which operating systems are you most proficient with?