What Does an Esthetician Do?
Estheticians specialize in the beautification of the skin. These skin care experts perform cosmetic treatments to enhance a client’s natural beauty. An esthetician works directly with patients, but may also be responsible for greeting customers, creating appointments, keeping records, and maintaining sanitary conditions.
Estheticians will also perform facials and hair removal treatments as part of their duties. They will work with dermatologists and other medical professionals at spas and salons to treat their clients’ needs. An esthetician should be a great communicator and able to answer any questions their patient may have and share any knowledge relevant to their needs.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Esthetician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Esthetician is:
Esthetician Job Descriptions
To deliver esthetic treatments according to protocols and rituals guaranteeing the guest the ultimate Spa experience. Estheticians must portray a professional self-image and master treatment/product technical knowledge and skills. Estheticians are expected to invest in self-education to ensure growth. HydraFacial training is a plus.
Position activities and responsibilities:
- Ability to perform all facial treatments offered on the Spa menu according to protocols
- Interacts cooperatively with other Spa team members to provide a seamless guest experience
- Discovers guests’ needs and makes appropriate treatment and home care recommendations
- Presents a warm, gracious, and professional persona toward guests and co-workers
- Adheres to a high professional image standard such as dress, appearance, language, and lifestyle
- Practices the highest standard of sanitation, neatness, and visual presentation
- Actively builds repeat clientele
- Attends and participates in all general and team meetings
- Assists with laundry and Spa cleaning, even if an assistant is available
- Maintains treatment suite inventory and other organizational tasks
- Attends all in-house training and commits to outside continuing education
- Attends monthly, weekly and daily shift line up meetings
- Open to coaching, role-playing, and improvements to perfect skills
- Participates in all aspects of marketing/special events planning and execution
- When asked, evaluates potential new team members for various positions
- Assists new team members
- Completes daily checklist of cleaning obligations and abides by all county, state, and local laws and regulations regarding sanitation, cleanliness, and safety
- Adheres to work schedule and has good work ethics
- Is a team player and assists others whenever asked
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude
- Sets and achieves goals and targets
- Valid esthetic license
- Specialized skills and knowledge of facial protocols and equipment
- Guest service oriented with the ability to deliver the ultimate esthetic experience
- Ability to follow protocols and directions
- Passion for continuing education
- A professional work ethic and image
- Guest service oriented
- Enjoys team environment and interaction with co-workers
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible and cooperative
- Exceptional organizational skills and follow-through
- Able to multi-task and improvise on the spur of the moment
- High energy, able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Efficient with time management, prompt, completes treatments within assigned time
- Good sense of humor
- Self-motivated and positive
- Able to work well under pressure
- Welcomes change
- Seeks out knowledge and enjoys learning/strives for professional growth
The impact you can have:
Taking all you know about the latest techniques in skin care, you’ll have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to take guests to whole new levels of confidence, delight, and personal expression through soft, luminous, head-turning skin. Helping them uncover their greatest potential. Equipping them to own their personal ability to capture real radiance through careful coaching and support.
You’ll accomplish all of this by:
- Performing services in the Skin Room, Pod or Bar, including facials, waxing, ear piercing (where applicable) and makeup applications, as well as performing face fit express facials from a mobile station in the store, delivering quality professional, skincare services with emphasis on the guest’s total look
- Meeting or exceeding sales goals for skin services and skincare products and contributing to meeting or exceeding the store’s goals related to retail and service sales, guest loyalty (including credit), omni-channel, and retail shrink
- Representing the image, products, and culture of ABC Company’s skincare brands and the Skin Room/Pod or Bar
- Supporting the Services Manager (SM) through the focus on service/retail sales and in-store events, guest service, associate culture, and operating procedures and compliance standards
- Demonstrating, recommending and selling prestige skin and makeup products
- Developing guest relationships through consultations and appropriate retail and service recommendations, building and maintaining an active clientele portfolio for the Skin Room/Pod or Bar
- Partnering with peers and brand partners to provide an unparalleled, total-store guest experience, delivering on sale and service goals
- Participating in regular, ongoing training, including timely completion of daily digital trainings, to enable continuous professional development and drive Skin Room/Pod or Bar sales performance
- Taking the initiative to stay informed regarding new and existing industry trends, products, and services during work time, and be knowledgeable about the ingredients and benefits of these trends, products, and services to better serve guests
- Maintaining compliance with all ABC Company and state board policies, procedures, and standards
- Following all safety, sanitation, and infection control procedures at all stages of service
- Booking guests’ appointments for initial services, return services, and events that deliver an unrivaled guest experience
- Adhering to tester standards for the Skin Room/Pod or Bar and Prestige department
The essentials for success:
Qualified candidates will possess an Esthetician or Cosmetology license (where required by applicable state law) with:
- Demonstrated proficiency in the latest salon techniques for performing facials, skin analysis, skin care machines, and facial waxing
- The latest makeup application skills
- Proficiency with equipment to perform technical work
- Strong consultation and sales skills (prestige skin and makeup products)
- An engaging personality with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong customer relationships and build clientele
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work a flexible full-time schedule to include days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- The ability to attend brand sponsored trainings and corporate trainings and meetings
- Wear a company-provided smock at all times during shift
- Continuous mobility during shift
- Frequent bending, reaching, twisting during shift
- Continuous lifting and/or moving up to 10 lbs. during shift
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
- Continuous coordination and manipulation of objects during shift
ABC Company, the world’s leading spa, fitness and leisure firm, is seeking an on-request Esthetician. The Esthetician is responsible for providing various cosmetic procedures including facials, waxing and body treatments.
- Ensures the “ABC Company Experience” for guests by maintaining the standards set in ABC Company Basics to Excellence (BTE), ABC Company Mission Statement/Values; Standards and Expectations, and ABC Company Brand Standards.
- Adheres to policies of ABC Company.
- Performs facials, waxing, and body services that meet the established guidelines for the type of service offering and that fulfill guest expectations.
- Customizes treatments based upon present skin condition(s).
- Performs all treatments on services menu based upon current licensure.
- Assesses contraindications of guest that may prevent service from taking place.
- Meets the needs of the guest at all times throughout the service.
- Understands and uses universal precautions when providing services.
- Cleans and disinfects all equipment on a daily basis.
- Maintains the highest level of product knowledge and has complete knowledge of all spa service presently offered. Understands the ingredients in products and can explain their benefits to guests. Answers guest’s questions in a knowledgeable and professional manner.
- Recommends products for home use.
- Suggests to guests other beneficial treatments offered in the spa.
- Begins and ends all treatments on time.
- Works assigned schedule. Arrives and departs from their shift on time.
- Ensures that work areas are clean and set according to procedures.
- Informs Spa Director or other management personnel about product needs.
- Creates and maintains client cards and treatment notes when appropriate.
- Completes all assigned side work.
- Attends all scheduled meetings.
- Attends scheduled professional trainings.
- Reports any incidents or accidents to a member of the management team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid state license in esthetics or other credentials required by the state.
- Previous esthetic experience.
- Customer service experience, preferably in a spa.
- Must be able to build rapport with guest.
- Ability to explain various treatments/services to guests.
- Excellent customer service skills and work ethic.
- Efficient, well organized, and able to handle a variety of duties simultaneously.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational.
- Professional manner, discretion, and appearance.
- Good verbal and written skills.
- Strong team player.
- Must be comfortable with product recommendations.
- Availability When Facility Is Open: This could include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move light objects.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- This position requires the following abilities: balancing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, tactile sense, repetitive motions, seeing, hearing, talking, and visual acuity.
- The employee will be required to operate the following tools: steamer, extractor, facial products such as masks, peals, and lotions, hot wax, tweezers, brow brush, LED lights, steamer, cleansing tools, gloves, finger cots, hot cabbie, paraffin heater, hand towels, disinfectants, and sterilizing solutions.
- Work conditions include exposure to odors, fumes, and vibrations.
Contributions and responsibilities
- Plan, coordinate, and successfully execute a variety of business requests
- Coordinate completion of client requests as directed by partners and managers through team communication
- Project tracking/organization
- Assist with accounting and tax return projects and ad hoc projects as assigned
- Prepare or assist with client billings under the guidance of the Billing Manager
- Assist with E-filing/processing tax returns
- Maintain schedules and calendars for meetings, travel, and appointments
- Prepare expense reports
Background and skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Associate’s degree, preferably in accounting or finance, and/or appropriate balance of education and work experience
- Prefer candidates with any prior office/administrative experience or prior internships
- Perform work accurately and in a time efficient manner, with strong attention to detail, organization, and follow through
- Strong computer skills, including solid skill in the Microsoft Office suite
- A basic understanding of accounting and tax rules is preferred but not required
- Maintain a professional demeanor with co-workers and clients
Sample Interview Questions
- How would you explain microdermabrasion to a client?
- What would you do if a client experiences an adverse reaction to a treatment you recommended?
- What does excellent customer service mean to you?
- How do you keep your working environment properly sanitized and organized?
- What do you do to keep your knowledge and training up to date?
- What are some of your favorite beauty treatments to provide?
- How would you handle a situation where a client is unhappy with their results?
- Can you tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a client?
- What skills do you possess that you think help you build positive client relationships?
- How do you go about recommending additional treatments to clients?