What Does an ETL Developer Do?
ETL developers extract business data and load it into a data warehousing environment. Design and programming skills are needed as they design and test the performance of the system. They also troubleshoot any problems before it goes live. Part of their job is to consult with various teams to understand the company’s data storage needs and develop data warehousing options. They must have deep knowledge of coding languages, such as Java, XML, and SQL. They should also have solid project management skills and be well-versed in warehousing architecture techniques such as MOLAP, ROLAP, ODS, DM, and EDW.
ETL developers are analytical people with strong troubleshooting abilities so they are able to solve complex technical problems. Businesses create massive amounts of data that need to be stored and quickly retrieved or changed. ETL developers are the key to creating storage options that handle all these needs.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
ETL developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an ETL Developer is:
ETL Developer Job Descriptions
The ETL Dev, develops robust Business Intelligence and data warehouse solutions using Microsoft SQL Server technologies like SSIS and other BI technologies. Demonstrates strong communications skills, aptitude for working with the business, and propensity to lean new technology. Participates in requirements gathering and research, proposes technology solutions, and develops solutions within agreed upon timelines.
What you’ll do
- Administer database systems technical design, performance monitoring and tuning, backup and recovery, data and file distribution, reporting, database upgrades, integrations, migrations, and conversions
- Design and implement OLTP and OLAP data models
- Evaluate, design, and maintain multiple database environments; identify data sources, construct data decomposition diagrams, provide data flow diagrams, and document the process; write codes for database access, modifications and constructions including stored procedures and database server configuration
- Develop complex Script tasks (using C# or VB.NET) in SSIS to handle File System Objects
- Develop and maintain database administration procedures and operations; cross train on, and provide operational support of procedures
- Design, implement, and support data warehousing – implement business rules via stored procedures, middleware or other technologies; define user interfaces and functional specifications
- Responsible for verifying accuracy of data in data extracts and data warehouse
- Monitor system details within the data warehouse, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements
- Troubleshoot and resolve data quality issues, database performance issues, database capacity issues, replication and other distributed data issues
- Resolve database performance issues by looking at query plans, create appropriate indexes, resolve dead locks, and create table hints
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in reports, dashboards, and ETL packages
- Closely work with other IT teams including Analysts and Product Managers to troubleshoot, modify, and enhance existing BI assets
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases
- Some working exposure to BI platform like SSRS/ Power BI and/or Tableau
- Some working exposure to version control tools like Microsoft TFS and collaboration tools like MS Teams or Zoom
Skills/experience you will need
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science and at least 6 years of experience in reports and data warehouse development
- Software development experience on Microsoft BI Platform – SSIS, SSRS, MS SQL Server
- DB Development using MS SQL
- Experience supporting a Data Warehouse environment
- Experience using Oracle Business Intelligence tools
- Experience in Data Migration from various systems to SQL Server Database
- Experience in building Data Marts using dimensional models
- Experience in building Dashboards and KPI visualization on Power BI and/or Tableau
- Experience using Oracle PL/SQL
What are the specific goals expected for this candidate?
- Deliver complex technology initiatives including those that are companywide with broad impact
- Design, code, test, debug, and document for projects and programs
- Review and analyze complex, large-scale technology solutions for tactical and strategic business objectives, enterprise technological environment, and technical challenges that require in-depth evaluation of multiple factors, including intangibles or unprecedented technical factors
- Proficient in all aspects of Data profiling and should understand data warehousing concepts
- Performs root cause analysis to prevent recurrence of problem and manages the resolution of complex problems.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical skills, and technical troubleshooting skills
- Experience with different project development life cycle methodologies such as Waterfall Model, agile/scrum to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories, and working through backlogs
- Should be familiar with GitHub or other version control tools
What is the top must have skills?
- 8+years of relevant experience with detailed knowledge of data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools
- 8+ years of experience working with relational databases such as SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL
- 8+ years of experience in ETL tools (SSIS, talend etc) and database integration with Oracle, SQL Server, and other databases
- Experience in writing and debugging complex SQL Stored Procedures
- Experience with source control tools such as Git, SVN
What are the nice to have skills?
- 3+ years of scheduling tool experience (Autosys, IBM Job Scheduler)
- 2+ years of experience with CI/CD pipeline, GitHub, and UDeploy
- Reporting experience, analytics experience or a combination of both
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in virtual environments where key team members and partners are in various locations
The ETL Engineer’s role exists to develop and maintain reporting databases using the Microsoft stack, primarily in Azure, ensuring high levels of data availability. They will also evaluate and advise on database technology components, such as software, hardware, and networking. Finally, the engineer will assist in implementing and maintaining reporting dashboards across the organization.
We are seeking a candidate to work as a full-time employee in our local office.
- Maintain data warehouses
- Design and deploy data table structures, reports, and queries
- Diagnose and resolve database access and performance issues
- Assure security of data from external parties and for management of row-level-security within the organization
- Design and build cloud-based BI infrastructure
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases
- Develop and maintain database stored procedures, views, and functions that support reporting data models
- Develop and maintain ETL processes
- Produce ad-hoc queries that develop reports to support business needs
- Create reports and data models using Power BI that meet business requirements
- Provide data management support to users
- Create and maintain technical documentation
Candidates MUST possess the following qualifications:
- Up to 2 years of experience in development within the Microsoft/SQL stack
- T-SQL experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work cohesively with a development team (no ‘code-loners’)
- Experience creating charts, graphs, dashboards in one or more of the following programs: Excel, SSRS, Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, and/or similar programs
Ideal candidates would possess these additional qualifications:
- Experience with SSAS, Tabular-based reporting, and Tabular Data Models
- A broad understanding of data visualization methods and techniques
- Power Query (“M” language), and DAX language experience
- Professional presentation skills and the ability to present to audiences of 10-15 people
- Broad business experience with proficient ability to talk to executives in business terms
- Willingness to creatively engage with customers to come up with custom solutions
- Familiarity with Kimball methodologies of data warehousing
- Understanding of the difference between application database design and reporting database design
- Familiarity with cloud services (AWS, Azure (preferred), Google Cloud)
- In-depth understanding of data management (e.g., permissions, recovery, security, and monitoring)
- Comprehensive grasp of data visualization methods and data modeling for effective report creation
- Ability to design, construct, and maintain data warehouses
- Basic to intermediate experience with SSMS and SSIS
Work environment and physical requirements:
- This position requires standing or sitting for long durations and may require minimal physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of less than 10 pounds. This position requires viewing a computer screen more than 80 percent of the time. The job will take place in a normal office environment with controlled temperature and lighting conditions. The position may require some travel and occasional participation in off-site functions
- This position may require occasional weekends and evenings and some occasional travel for off-site functions
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you explain what the ETL process is?
- What would you include in testing operations?
- What’s the difference between data mining and warehousing?
- Can you name some of the various tools used in ETL?
- What are OLAP cubes?
- Can you explain partitioning?
- What’s the difference between PowerCenter and PowerMart?
- What is Round-Robin partitioning?
- What is a Worklet in ETL?
- What is a Workflow?
- Can you explain what a session is?
- Tell me what mapping is as if I am a non-technical peer.
- What does an operational data store mean?
- What does the ODS generate?
- When are tables analyzed in ETL? How are they analyzed?
- How can mapping be fine-tuned?