What Does a React Developer Do?
A thorough understanding of React and its core principles is required for a React developer. They should also have a deep familiarity with front-end build pipelines and development tools, such as Babel and Webpack. React developers need the ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements. Exceptional time management skills and solid interpersonal skills are also essential for professionals in this role.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
React developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a React Developer is:
React Developer Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional react developer. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Create and maintain user interfaces for web applications and websites
- Develop responsive interactive technology for dynamic web pages such as menu buttons, online forms, etc.
- Test and troubleshoot interface software
- Construct visualizations that are able to depict vast amounts of data
- Build reusable components and front-end libraries for future use
- Optimize components for maximum performance across a vast array of web-capable devices and browsers
- Collaborate with other developer teams to discuss user interface applications and ideas
- Work closely with clients, web designers, and project managers to create strong and effective applications
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or related field
- Master’s degree is a plus
- 3+ years of experience in software development
Required skills and qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of ReactJS, JSX, Babel, data structures, and algorithms
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- BS degree in computer science, information technology, or related field
- Experience with data structure libraries
- Excellent front-end coding skills
- Good understanding of progressive web applications
Collaboration, knowledge sharing and learning, and a willingness to contribute to and follow the team’s conventions are considered the framework of our team dynamics. Our goal is to deliver quality products while ensuring our code base and tools are flexible and maintainable.
You will be successful in this role if you
- Have experience collaborating with non-technical and technical partners and can communicate accordingly
- Understand that part of the product lifecycle will involve analyzing business requirements and making small-scale product decisions
- Are comfortable working both independently and as a part of a team
- Have a sense of ownership and craftsmanship around the code base
- Are open to learning about new technologies and sharing your knowledge with others
Must have skills to excel in role
- Developing applications in React including component design and state management for specific use cases
- Developing REST APIs using Python (preferably Flask or FastAPI)
- Experience working with at least one SQL and NoSQL Database (MongoDB, SQL Server, Snowflake, Postgres preferred)
- Experience working with Python in a back end or data engineering environment
- General understanding of infrastructure as code and CI/CD pipelines and the willingness to learn more
- Basic experience with AWS platform
Nice to have skills
- Handling Services in a containerized docker environment
- Proficiency in third party package management tooling (Artifactory or AWS Layers)
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience building event-driven applications and using queues
We are looking for a React Native developer with experience and passion for building performant iOS apps.
- 3+ years of experience in development
- Proficiency with React Native, React, and Typescript. Familiarity with Swift, or Objective C a plus
- Experience creating React Native mobile solutions for iOS
- Familiarity with native build tools, like Xcode
- Experience with system architecture or leading a team is a plus
- Familiarity with push notifications, and cloud messaging application programming interfaces
- Experience of working with XML/JSON data models and integration with REST APIs
- Knowledgeable in HTML and CSS. Familiarity with utility CSS frameworks such as Tailwind is a bonus
Your job looks like
- Diagnose and fix bugs and performance issues
- Maintain code and write automated tests to ensure high quality code
- Build smooth UI experiences
- Deploy and maintain the apps on App Store
- Distribute apps to QA/UAT teams and assist in user acceptance testing
- Work closely with business and IT stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical specifications
Things we value in a candidate
- Solid work ethic – you are motivated to learn and work independently
- Dependability – you meet deadlines consistently and can communicate roadblocks
- Problem solver – you can figure out random code bugs or complex grid layouts
- Passion – you enjoy what you do and getting to work with new technology
- Drive – you take the lead and generate new ideas/concepts
- Good communication – you can document your work and keep others informed about your tasks
- Collaborate with Design and UX to prototype user interactions
- Mentor other front-end developers
- Ensure compatibility of code across devices and viewport sizes
- Assess and optimize page performance and WCAG compliance
- Work with delivery team to ensure overall quality of the experience and support this with tests and documentation
- Strong communication skills with a team-centric approach to discussion and decision-making within a distributed team
- 4+ years experience using HTML5 semantic markup, CSS3, and CSS & SVG-based animation on responsive consumer-facing websites
- 4+ years experience using Reactjs
- Full command of Git, the terminal, continuous deployment and integration, and other modern fundamentals
- Strong troubleshooting ability and technical analysis skills – web performance optimization included
- Familiarity with website operations and fluency in the typical tiers on a high traffic website
- Experience with the Atlassian suite of tools – JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence, etc.
- WCAG accessibility experience is preferred
You may have
- Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) on version 6.3 or later, or enterprise CMS
- Experience with Vue.js or similar
- Experience with graphQL or APIs with complex data structures
- Experience with Webpack, or other tools used to optimize and maintain front-end build systems
- Experience working in an agency environment
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Modern React with Redux. The Modern React with Redux is a React JS course that includes React and Redux with React Router, Webpack, Create-React-App, as well as Hooks. This course will teach candidates how to create single-page applications using React JS and Redux. They will master the fundamental concepts behind structuring Redux applications and the power of reusable components. This course comes with full lifetime access and includes 4.75 hours of on-demand video, 18 articles, 1 downloadable resource, and 6 coding exercises. A certificate of completion is given once the course is completed.
How to Hire a React Developer
There are a number of important initial considerations when hiring a React developer:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Are you hiring for a project or an ongoing need?
- Urgency: How soon does the opening need to be filled? What happens while it remains open?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, React developers are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
We recommend using either Toptal, Upwork, or both.
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a React developer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced React developer. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Post the opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend CareerBuilder when hiring a react developer:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Could you describe your experience developing web applications with React.js and how you have used React concepts such as components, props, state, and lifecycle methods?
- If you were faced with a complex React application, how would you troubleshoot it, and how would you resolve it?
- Using HTML, CSS, and other web development tools, what experience do you have with designing responsive and accessible user interfaces?
- Have you written unit tests and end-to-end tests for React applications, and how did you use them to ensure code quality?
- What resources do you use to learn and improve your React skills?
- Do you have a favorite React project you’re particularly proud of, and what challenges did you face in delivering it?
- To ensure that user interface components are optimized for usability and performance, how do you collaborate with UX/UI designers?
- Can you tell me about your experience with APIs and integrating back-end data into front-end applications?
- In what ways have you streamlined your workflow by using modern web development tools like Git, Webpack, and Node.js?
- How did you improve the speed and responsiveness of a React application when you had to optimize its performance?