What Does a Construction Vice President Do?
Construction vice presidents typically oversee specific areas of the company, such as operations, finance, or human resources. Their key responsibilities include representing the company in the community, developing strategies for growth, and planning for the future. Vice presidents need to be outstanding leaders and should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Construction vice president salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Construction Vice President is:
Construction Vice President Job Descriptions
The Vice President will be responsible for setting the strategic vision of the brand, creating a leadership culture, and growing a business unit over a large geographical area. This position is responsible for leading local strategy formation and implementation of the regional business plans.
The division leader- leads by example, drives performance, and defines a strong culture.
- Business Development and Sales leadership
- Establish and drive a sales culture into all levels of the organization
- Manage Business Development, Operations, and Preconstruction/Estimating teams
- Strategy formation and business planning- develop annual business plans
- Market segmentation strategies as required to develop a competitive advantage
- Develop and manage key client relationships
- Develop and maintain relationships with key community stakeholders and clients
- Provide sales leadership- lead efforts to identify opportunities- prepare/review proposals and presentations
- Review and take action on all Go/No-Go’s
- Review all proposals and subsequent presentations
- Liaison with President, Risk Management, and Project Controls on the project approval process
- Management of multiple Project Directors
- Prepare and implement a five-year business plan
- Prepare Annual Budget and Quarterly Forecast for Business Unit
- Complete understanding of the construction industry
- Computer knowledge and efficiency, including Microsoft Office products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of financial operations
- Proven risk management and contracting knowledge
- Excellent management skills
- Exhibits strong leadership qualities
- Ability to always maintain discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to delegate work appropriately
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent strategic thinking and visionary skills
- Oversee and manage all construction related activities within the region
- Ensure that all buildings in the construction area are constructed to contract, specification, and permitted drawings
- Establish structure for a consistent region estimating and construction process to minimize cost and mitigate risk
- Review construction plans for value engineering and ensure optimal construction methods are followed
- Support Project Manager with subcontractor selection and job buy-outs, helping with negotiations to maximizing cost savings and assist with subcontractor replacements, as needed
- Evaluate and oversee construction timelines for each project within the region
- Oversee office procedures and execution regarding safety, quality control, SWPPP, and FHA/ADA compliance
- Walk sites to determine construction status and assure compliance with environmental requirements, safety requirements, and quality control
- Ensure that all buildings in the construction area are met with all safety standards in accordance with OSHA and state regulations
- Manage project turn-over to Customer Service, including completion of punch-list items and ensure all walk-through forms are signed and completed for owner orientations/occupancy
- Conducts all business in a professional and ethical manner to serve customers and increase the goodwill and profit of the company
- Ability to travel overnight
- Handle escalated problems with subcontractors
- Review construction scopes to ensure accuracy and completeness
Education or experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Real Estate or related field
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Basic accounting or finance knowledge
- Demonstrated problem solving skills by using persistence and ability to overcome obstacles
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written oral form or via DRH applications
- Proficiency with MS Office and email
- Five to ten years related experience preferred
- Technical Underwriting
- Solicits and reviews new and renewal account information required to evaluate a risk.
- Identifies all potential exposures and hazards in relation to coverage requested and individual risk characteristics
- Assesses insurance and related financial risk and structures appropriate loss sensitive program to effectively protect against frequency, severity, catastrophic, and credit risk
- Engage other internal resources as necessary
- Underwrites prices and prepares proposals based on objective and subject risk characteristics, input of internal resource team, existing product set and regulatory filings
- Prepares final quotation/proposal and presents to producer and/or prospective insured
- Coordinates all administrative duties related to existing and prospective accounts
- Account Management
- Quarterbacks all post bind activities including policy production, compliance issues, audits and adjustments, legal agreements, receipt of collateral, legal agreement execution, TPA coordination and any other related items
- Together with internal team members, takes responsibility to deliver promised service to customers
- Responsible for the renewal and retention management and manages the renewal process to achieve targeted retention and price change goals
- Initiates, coordinates and conducts a mid-term account review
- Sales and Marketing
- Develops and maintains relationships with producers and insured’s to achieve overall productions and profitability goals
- Meets with producers and insureds to discuss individual account issues, uncover critical customer needs and financial buying characteristics
- Develops a strategic plan for positioning and selling Arch at both the producer and the insured level
- Engages and introduces other team members or management team as appropriate
- Develops and maintains relationships with producers to generate a flow of qualified submissions
- Responsible for all underwriting and policy file documentation
- Completes ad hoc projects as assigned by management personnel
Required Skills and experience
- Understanding and knowledge of the intent, scope and purpose of the Workers Compensation, General Liability, Automobile coverage forms and endorsements with the ability to tailor to the sold program design
- Possess a thorough understanding of all loss sensitive programs including products, pricing, expensing, actuarial loss projecting techniques, retention and aggregate setting, limit profiles, ALAE, and effective utilization of facultative reinsurance
- Understanding and knowledge of exposure identification and analysis
- Possess a cross-functional generalist knowledge of other disciplines including claims, risk control, audit, premium accounting, finance, and legal
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance issues
- Knowledge of Arch’s product set
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal, and presentation
- Sales and Negotiation skills
- Be able to provide leadership and support to other team members
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Have the ability to influence without authority and be willing to work in a collaborative and team environment
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- 10 plus years of construction underwriting experience
- Established broker relationships within the Southeast Region would be ideal
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training required
- CPCU or other similar designation is a plus
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe your communication style?
- What are your strengths as a leader?
- Are you able to effectively resolve any interpersonal issues which may come up in the field?
- Do you have a good grasp of construction, conflict resolving techniques, and other requirements for this position?
- What are your greatest strengths as a vice president of construction?
- What would you say are the most effective management styles?
- Are you able to stand and work for long periods of time?
- What relevant experience and certifications do you have for this position?
- Are you able to understand and resolve any conflicts in OSHA guidelines?
- What is the most effective way to ensure the quality of work from your teams?
- Are you able to multitask well?
- Can you resolve the conflict between multiple teams and ensure cohesive results in a stressful situation?