What Does a Web Developer Do?
In addition to hard technical skills, web developers should also have soft skills like expertise in verbal communication, written communication, and presentation. A web developer must be able to communicate effectively with clients and stakeholders outside of the development team about the goals of a particular project.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Web developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Web Developer is:
Web Developer Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a web developer. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Junior Web Developer
As a web developer, you will:
- Build, test, and deploy a wide range of web-based tools, developed in Django and Python, that ABC Company’s members use every day in their jobs as government affairs professionals and policy advocates
- Help maintain large datasets in a variety of formats (PostgreSQL, MySQL, APIs) drawing from both internal and third-party content and data sources
- Make improvements the custom content management system we use internally
- Tackle a full-stack mix of back-end and front-end tasks, with a focus on back-end work
- Be well-informed about trends in software development tools, frameworks, programming languages, and workflow, and arrive with opinions you are eager to discuss
- Be willing to learn a sophisticated technical stack
As a candidate:
- Experience with some of the following technologies is a plus, but not required: Microsoft Azure, Linux systems administration, Vue.js, TypeScript, Elasticsearch, Docker, PostgreSQL, Neo4j or other graph databases, Jenkins, New Relic, Salesforce, D3.js, Redis, Sentry, Marketo, Celery/RabbitMQ, or WordPress
- You have project experience: You’ve contributed to significant software projects and demonstrated that you can do quality work under a deadline. You have opinions about good software architecture and with some learning curve, can find your way around a complex codebase
- You place an emphasis on quality: In your work, you demonstrate best practices for software development and reinforce good habits that promote quality as part of a team. You’re familiar with writing documentation, doing peer code reviews, crafting automated tests, watching performance, and taking advantage of tools that maintain consistent code across team members. You are organized, focused, and detail-oriented
- You communicate and work well with others: You exhibit good communication skills and collaboration habits, both written and verbal, by providing accurate time and effort estimates and working to ensure the team meets agreed-upon deadlines. You are comfortable working with product and project managers to plan weekly sprints, capable of prioritizing and undertaking multiple projects at once, and familiar with Agile development methodologies. When needed, you are cool under pressure
- You demonstrate good judgment: Colleagues can count on you to apply critical thinking to tasks and find creative ways to solve problems. You appreciate both short-term and long-term implications when making decisions
- You’ll bring something new to the team: We value having a team with diverse skills and experiences. Do you have a background in accessibility technologies, robotics, or AI-generated jokes? Are you active in a local user group, open source effort, or side project of your own? Passion for learning new things (whether technology-related or not) is most welcome
- You value a healthy work-life balance: You keep high standards and work hard, yet know when to take breaks, switch gears, and unplug, with the ability to manage your time effectively to preserve those boundaries
- Prodigious work ethic and spirit of generosity
- Active contributor to a diverse and inclusive workplace
Mid-level Web Developer
As a web developer, you will:
- Experience with and understanding of data mapping, data layer, and quality audit strategies
- Problem solve and build data collection systems that help democratize data and bring clarity to business decisions throughout the organization
- Collaborate with cross teams to strategize, evaluate, and estimate data collection solutions and plan for implementation and metric reporting
- Assist with building a community of analysts and developers on our team by sharing and training in new technology or methods, ongoing research, and evaluation of new analytics technologies, identifying platforms that improve the depth, accessibility, and integrity of our data
We seek people with these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in either Graphic Design or Computer Science/IT
- 5+ years of experience building and supporting online experiences
- Subject matter expert in Adobe Launch, Power BI, and Python is a plus
- Strong proficiency with HTML, CSS, and debugging
- Experience in quality checking analytics and 3rd party tags using developer tools such as Chrome DevTools, Fiddler
- Working knowledge of file version control systems such as Git
- Familiarity with Solution Document Reference and Adobe Analytics
We are seeking a skilled and motivated Frontend Web Developer with a solid background in Bootstrap and Vue.js to join our dynamic team. As a Frontend Web Developer, you will play a key role in designing and implementing user interfaces for our web applications. Your expertise in Bootstrap and Vue.js will be essential in delivering responsive, interactive, and visually appealing web experiences. The candidate will get to work on some of the innovative products we build for our clients. If the candidate is looking for fast growth and a great culture. Dash is the right fit for them.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the design and development teams to translate wireframes and mockups into fully functional web pages using Bootstrap and Vue.js.
- Develop responsive and user-friendly web interfaces, ensuring optimal performance across various devices and browsers.
- Implement front-end logic and data binding using Vue.js components to create dynamic and interactive user experiences.
- Utilize Bootstrap’s CSS framework to design consistent and visually appealing layouts, adhering to best practices for responsive design.
- Work closely with backend developers to integrate frontend components with server-side logic, ensuring seamless data flow and smooth user interactions.
- Optimize web applications for maximum speed and scalability, focusing on performance metrics and user experience enhancements.
- Participate in code reviews to maintain code quality, readability, and adherence to coding standards.
- Stay updated with the latest industry trends and best practices in frontend development, Bootstrap, and Vue.js, and proactively suggest improvements to the development process.
- Troubleshoot and resolve frontend issues and bugs, ensuring a smooth user experience.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to brainstorm ideas and contribute to the overall improvement of our web applications.
- Strong Software Development experience.
- Flexibility to balance multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment.
Qualifications for this job (technical, academic, experience, values, behaviors)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Web Development, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Proven professional experience as a Frontend Web Developer, with a focus on Bootstrap and Vue.js, for a minimum of 3-5 years.
- Extensive hands-on experience with Bootstrap and its grid system, styling components, and responsive design principles.
- Demonstrable expertise in Vue.js and its ecosystem, including Vue Router, Vuex, and Vue CLI, with a track record of building robust and interactive user interfaces.
- Familiarity with version control systems, such as Git, and experience working with collaborative development workflows.
- Knowledge of performance optimization techniques, web accessibility standards, and cross-browser compatibility.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, handling multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a keen eye for detail to deliver high-quality front-end solutions.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, with the ability to articulate ideas and contribute to discussions effectively.
- Develop and write high-quality coding that meets customer requirements.
- Experience working with client enterprise products, services, and strategies.
- Strong experience working in an Agile environment and understanding of the SCRUM process.
- Experience with other frontend frameworks, such as React or Angular, and their integration with Vue.js.
- Knowledge of server-side technologies and experience working with backend developers to implement RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with build tools like Webpack and task runners such as Gulp or Grunt.
- Understanding of UI/UX design principles and the ability to work closely with designers to ensure seamless implementation.
- Experience managing an offshore team in India is a plus.
Values we seek:
- Client Communication
- Technical Knowledge
- Minimum of 3-5 years with Bootstrap and Vue.js
- Learning new skills
We are seeking a skilled backend developer to join [Company]]. As part of our team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining high-quality software products, working with a variety of technologies and programming languages.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Your main duties will include designing and implementing new features, optimizing and maintaining existing code, and ensuring the software meets high-quality standards through testing and debugging. You will also work closely with other developers, designers, and product managers to ensure the software meets user needs.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Strong background in software development, with expertise in programming languages such as Java, Python, or C++.
- Strong programming skills along with strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Should be comfortable understanding and debugging complex code
- Self-starter, have the ability to work independently as well as with the team
Preferred Technical And Professional Expertise
- Experience with Cloud based technologies
- Experience and/or familiarity deploying and managing CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience and/or familiarity with build tools such as docker, Gradle, and Jenkins
- Experience and/or familiarity with large scale service infrastructure and container platforms like Kubernetes, OpenShift
- Experience automating tests, workflows, and tasks by creating tools in scripting languages such as Java, Python, Bash, etc.
Senior Web Developer
The Sr. Web Developer leverages advanced software programming skills to design, develop, and enhance applications that are critical to the operations of a transportation company. The Sr. Web Developer works collaboratively with business partners to develop web-based software in an agile, fast-paced, team, and collaborative environment to implement solutions that provide a competitive advantage to business operations. The Sr. Web Developer fosters continuous improvement by contributing to coding, testing, and implementation of best practices.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Perform moderate to complex programming assignments requiring an advanced understanding of established web application programming standards, methods, and best practices applicable to a corporate IT application environment.
- Gather and interpret business requirements, create functional specifications and determine the most efficient/appropriate technologies to achieve desired outcomes.
- Work with development teams to integrate web solutions with company systems and third-party platforms.
- Contribute to and review technical designs of software solutions.
- Work with engineers and architects in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Conduct research into new technologies, development practices, and frameworks.
- Collaborate with developers to implement solutions, resolve problems and perform code reviews.
- Work with vendor development teams to implement and support governance and change management processes.
- Provide best practice consulting to management, business partners, and team members.
- Ensure quality and maintain the performance of deployed solutions.
- Follow, contribute and support Agile-based software development practices.
- Assist with other projects as needed to contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization.
- Provide technical support and participates in on-call rotation to resolve critical application issues.
- Adaptability – Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Building Trusting Relationships – Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one’s intentions.
- Collaborating – Working cooperatively with others to help a team or work group achieve its goals.
- Communication – Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Continuous Learning – Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Initiating Action – Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Work Standards – Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Lead the development of cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new, and modifying existing, software applications.
- 5+ years of experience in web-related programming and technologies.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong technical aptitude, fast learner, and effective problem solver.
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and capable of working both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Great team player with a positive attitude.
- Experience with responsive CSS/JS frameworks such as Bootstrap, Angular UI Bootstrap, or Angular Material UI is a plus
- Experience integrating codebase with CI/CD processes using Git, Jenkins, and JIRA.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming, scalable software design, and REST service-based architectures
- Experience with Java and Spring Framework is a plus
- Experience with relational databases and SQL is a plus
Senior Fullstack Developer
[Company] is hiring a Sr. Full-Stack Developer to join our Technology Team in San Mateo, CA. This role will be on our Client Experience team and will be responsible for building, enhancing, and scaling our integrations and external facing portals for our clients and residents. As one of two developers on the team, you will have a high degree of autonomy and will be building new features end-to-end in a fast-paced environment. Your days will vary between working closely with other teams to define and scope integration projects and getting some solid heads-down time to build. [Company] , we also encourage a “promote within” culture, so there will be opportunities to grow as the team grows as well.
Our tech stack is Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and we’re on AWS. We also utilize Shortcut, Rollbar, and Scout. Experience in these is preferred but not required as long as there’s a willingness to learn.
This position can be either full remote or hybrid out of one of our office locations.
Your days will vary depending on the projects, but some things you can expect to do:
- Enhance our integrations with clients & onboard new clients
- Build new features such as external-facing portals, email notifications, and AI-enhancements for better client experience
- Strengthen our core technology to handle exponential growth
- Work with other technology teams to create and implement best practices for our code base
- Contribute to all phases of the development life cycle and write well-designed, testable, efficient code
- Learn the ins and outs of our business and contribute ideas on how to meet our company goals
- Strong experience (5+ years) in Web Development – preferably some in API integration
- Strong experience (5+ years) in an Object-Oriented Language
- Self-starter and strong ownership mentality
- Experience in all phases of a project – from ideation to rollout
- Experience thriving in a dynamic environment where goals and requirements may be changing
- Experience working with other technical and non-technical teams
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Web Professional–Web Developer – Offered by the International Web Association, the CWP Web Developer is a specialist certification that will prepare candidates for promotion and help them advance their careers as web developers. To apply for this certification, they’ll need at least two years of experience in the field.
- Ironhack Web Development Boot Camp – If candidates are beginners or looking to switch careers, this boot camp will teach them the fundamentals of programming. The course costs $12,000 and can be completed full-time in nine weeks, or part-time in 24 weeks. This course is taken online but requires candidates to study at certain times of the day, Monday through Friday, offering them a structured learning environment.
Web Developer Qualifications to Look For
- Designed, developed, and maintained websites, ensuring responsiveness across various devices and platforms
- Worked with content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal
- Collaborated with UX/UI designers to ensure the website’s design was implemented effectively
- Optimized websites for maximum speed, scalability, and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Conducted website testing to identify any technical problems or bugs
- Managed hosting environments, including database administration and scaling applications to handle load changes
- Integrated data from various back-end services and databases
- Stayed updated with emerging web technologies and industry trends
- Worked closely with clients or stakeholders to understand web requirements and ensure deliverables met their expectations
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and team-working skills
- Great attention to detail
- Good organizational skills and time management
- Creativity and a keen aesthetic sense
- Ability to learn quickly and stay updated with industry trends
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Web Development, or a related field is commonly preferred
- Coding bootcamps or specialized web development courses can also provide necessary skills and are sometimes seen as alternatives or supplements to traditional education
- A comprehensive portfolio showcasing past projects and web designs
- Certifications in specific tools or languages, such as Microsoft Certified: Azure Developer Associate or AWS Certified Solutions Architect, can be advantageous, especially for more specialized roles
- Continuous learning and staying updated with the latest web development trends and technologies is crucial
How to Hire a Web Developer
When hiring a web developer, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, web developers are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
Here are some popular freelance platforms that we recommend when hiring a web developer:
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a web developer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced web developer. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend CareerBuilder for web developer openings:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you explain the difference between front-end and back-end development? This question helps gauge the candidate’s understanding of the complete web development process.
- Can you describe your experience with responsive design? Given the prevalence of various screen sizes, understanding responsive design is crucial.
- How do you approach debugging in your development process? This question provides insight into the candidate’s problem-solving capabilities.
- Could you discuss your familiarity with web standards and best practices? An experienced web developer should stay up-to-date with industry standards.
- Have you ever used version control systems such as Git? Version control is a crucial aspect of collaborative web development.
- Can you explain how AJAX works and provide an example of a project where you’ve used it? This question tests the candidate’s knowledge of asynchronous web development techniques.
- How would you ensure a website’s accessibility and usability? This question covers the candidate’s understanding of user experience and web accessibility standards.
- What frameworks or libraries do you commonly use in your projects and why? This explores the candidate’s experience with tools like React, Angular, Vue, or jQuery.
- How do you test your code? Understanding the candidate’s testing methodology ensures the delivery of reliable, high-quality code.
- What are your strategies for optimizing web performance? This question assesses the candidate’s knowledge of efficiency and web optimization techniques.
- Can you explain how you have used APIs in your projects? API integration is a key component of many web development projects.
- What methods do you use to keep up with the latest web development trends and technologies? This question examines the candidate’s passion for continuous learning and growth.
- Can you discuss your experience with web security? What strategies have you used to protect a website from threats? Security is a significant concern in web development, and understanding it is crucial.
- Describe a challenging web development project you’ve worked on and how you overcame the difficulties. This question offers a chance to understand the candidate’s problem-solving skills and how they handle challenges.