What Does a BI Developer Do?
Every business collects data. Whether it’s merely tracking sales and inventory, gathering demographic information about customers, or observing industry trends, companies need to find ways to manage and access data so they can use it to change and improve. That’s where a business intelligence developer comes in.
Business intelligence developers create software that helps businesses access data they’ve collected so they can use it to make informed strategic decisions. A business intelligence developer not only creates and manages requests for data but also presents that data to stakeholders within the company.
In today’s data-driven world, business intelligence developers must be skilled at troubleshooting and analyzing the individual needs of software users and stakeholders. It’s vital for a business intelligence developer to understand how people think, and how to make software easy to use. They also need excellent communication skills to train users on how to use software to find the information they need.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
BI developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a BI Developer is:
BI Developer Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a BI developer, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
Business intelligence (BI) developers design, develop, and maintain business intelligence solutions, maintain and support data analytics platforms, and conduct unit testing and troubleshooting. BI developers should be analytical and have excellent communication skills. They also have an acute business sense and strong problem-solving skills. [Your Company Name] is currently looking for an experienced BI developer. As an ideal candidate, you have an in-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing, and ETL frameworks.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Develop, maintain and support ETL processes using tools such as Microsoft SSIS
- Create reports and extracts from SQL server and other disparate data sources
- Create outstanding code in all tiers: user interface, business logic, data access, and database
- Develop high availability and highly scalable applications
- Create prototypes and proof of concepts
- Ensure solutions are released properly, and each release is documented
- Translate business requirements and problems into innovative technical solutions
- Participate in user research and usability testing to help improve the user experience
- Create and maintain unit and functional tests
Education and experience
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, or a related field is required for this position, as well as three to five years of experience in the business intelligence field.
Companies also strongly prefer candidates with a minimum of two years of back-end programming experience in languages such as C# or Java as well as three years or more experience in SQL technologies like SSRS, SSIS, and SQL Server.
Required skills and qualifications
- Possess and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills to ensure issues are handled in a fair, consistent manner
- Ability to think logically and troubleshoot issues
- Motivated to learn new business and technical concepts
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Deep understanding of relational database concepts with a solid knowledge of Cognos 10, SQL and PL/SQL
- Experience with ETL tools
- At least 5 years of solid SAP BW programming and analysis experience
- 2+ years of experience in BW on HANA
- 5 years of experience in Business objects 4.2 and above
- Expertise in WEBI, Design Studio & Lumira administration and auditing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What you’ll do
- Understand customer business requirements, scenarios, use cases, and the data models that facilitate them
- Understand the technical specification documents as developed by the technical team and translate them into detailed technical specifications
- Accurately evaluate level of effort (LOE) to help manage activities to ensure the quality/timeliness of deliverables
- Understand the software system design; describe the specifications in technical terms, select the methods, toolsets or technologies that will be used. Plan the appropriate user interface. Identify and manage dependencies with other components. Document these selections in the detailed technical specifications document for the project
- Develop code functions and unitary tests in accordance with quality rules defined by the technical team
- Write operation guides that explain the deployment of the software components in conjunction with DevSecOps practices
- Analyze and correct reported bugs and/or execute software changes required for the Project in alignment with Ball’s development strategies
- Capitalize on existing project deliverables to ensure continuity/reusability
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment
- Perform other duties as necessary
What you’ll need
- Bachelor’s in Information Technology or a related technical field plus 5 or more years related experience
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education
- Software Engineering Degree or similar experience
- Knowledge and experience with:
- Java, C# or other object-oriented programming language
- SQL, Oracle or other RDBMS
- SQL Server Data Tools, SSIS, DQS, IDQ
- XML Schemas and parsing
- API Development experience preferred
- Experience with System integration
- Experience with data transformation and migration
- Basic knowledge of web services, business logic and APIs
- Experience implementing/deploying enterprise level software solutions
- Experience with complex implementation projects
- Experience with implementing/deploying a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solution (Oracle Agile, WindChill, TeamCenter, ENOVIA, etc.)
- Experience deploying or integrating with Dassault Systèmes software solutions and XPDM importer preferred
As the BI Developer you will be accountable for configuring pipelines to ingest data into our BI system and owning all technical aspects of the BI platform. You will help design and support solutions to interface with external APIs, automating internal processes and implementing technical aspects of data governance. An ideal candidate will have technical competence balanced by an empathetic understanding of business needs.
- Establish automated processes and scripts to support the BI platform
- Demonstrate data literacy, a deep understanding of the data, and an appreciation for the art of data visualization and storytelling
- Provide technical leadership on data architecture design best practices
- Build and maintain data pipelines within the BI platform
- Maintain and understand legacy PHP Reports and converting them to the BI platform when necessary
- Creating custom visualizations to enhance data storytelling to our customers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field, or equivalent experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 2 years of programming experience with Python and/or PHP
- At least 2 years of experience with SQL
- At least 2 years of experience interfacing with multiple APIs
- At least 2 years of experience creating reports and dashboards with a BI Platform (Domo, Tableau, Power BI)
The primary responsibility of this role is to work collaboratively with end-users to develop reporting systems that provide accessible information for decision-making. The BI Developer uses warehouse data to solve organizational problems through reports, analysis, and data visualization. The BI Developer will provide enterprise-wide data warehouse expertise with an emphasis on data design, access, usage, security, and quality of information assets. The BI Developer will work in support of all managers and users requiring data for decision support.
What you’ll be doing
- Data Modeling BI and Data Warehousing solutions
- Assists in implementing effective business analytics practices that drive improved decision-making, efficiency, and performance
- Communicate with non-technical business users to determine specific business requirements for reports and business intelligence solutions
- Communicates regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure database integrity, security, and optimized performance at the application and database level
- Works collaboratively with institutional staff and reporting officials to resolve data discrepancies and/or clarify reporting procedures
- Maintains an accurate and comprehensive inventory of data, data systems, and data storage
- Ability to use presentation, word processing, and database or spreadsheet software
- Demonstrated attention to detail in ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of the data warehouse and the individual work units
- Possess strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills, clearly and accurately. communicating complex and/or technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Self-motivated; able to work within a project-based environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
What you bring
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering, a similar degree, or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on Software development expertise within an Information Technology division
- Knowledge of SQL and Cloud data warehousing concepts
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of BI areas including ETL design, analytics, and reporting
- Experience in business intelligence and data warehousing environments such as data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries, database design, normalization, and de-normalization techniques
- Demonstrated experience in data extraction and manipulation, and ETL techniques required
Added bonus if you have
- Professional- BI Developer certification
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP). The CBIP certification program is offered by Transforming Data With Intelligence (TDWI) and is intended for senior-level IT professionals who focus on data management and business analytics. The certification proves a candidate’s knowledge of BI technologies, best practices, solutions, and emerging trends. Requirements include 2+ years of experience in a computer-related field, such as computer information systems or systems analysis. The initial certification is valid for 4 years and must be renewed every three years after that by completing 120 credit hours of continuing education.
- Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate. Microsoft offers this certification for data analysts using Microsoft Power BI. Certification demonstrates a candidate’s ability to prepare, model, visualize, and analyze data, and deploy and maintain deliverables. The certification is good for 2 years and must be renewed passing the latest Microsoft Power BI renewal assessment.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is Business Intelligence?
- Explain your experience in data warehousing.
- How do you handle data quality issues?
- What is your experience in creating and deploying reports?
- Can you explain your experience with SQL and data manipulation?
- What BI tools and platforms have you worked with?
- Can you give an example of a complex BI project you worked on?
- What is your approach to data visualization and dashboard design?
- How do you ensure data security and privacy in BI solutions?
- How do you keep up-to-date with the latest BI technologies and trends?