What Does a Retail Sales Associate Do?
Retail sales associates are the face of the retail store and the direct line to the customer. They are responsible for greeting customers, helping resolve minor issues or needs, building rapport, ringing up sales, and more.
These associates are responsible for keeping a clean and organized store. They stock shelves, clean up messes, return orders, direct and assist customers, and close sales. Individuals in this role can also encourage customers to join rewards programs, offer advice or recommendations, and assist with the delivery or pick-up of goods.
A retail sales associate should have an excellent understanding of the POS systems the company uses as well as strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Additionally, they will be expected to have a flexible schedule, the ability to upsell, and maintain a positive attitude.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Retail sales associate salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Retail Sales Associate is:
Retail Sales Associate Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a retail sales associate, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
Because we are a well-established and fast-growing company with many store locations, [Your Company Name] needs a diligent and hardworking employee for the purpose of helping our business grow. A self-driven individual with great customer service skills and a sense of urgency with a good work ethic is needed. You must welcome customers into the store and stay knowledgeable about our range of various products. Your duties will be to promote special sales, offers, and awareness of our store loyalty program.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Welcome customers into the store
- Stay knowledgeable about our range of products
- Explain to customers the best products for their needs and push promoted products
- Accept and process orders, operate the register, and resolve return issues
- Recommend related products to increase customers’ opinions further and enrich the shopping experience
- Explain to customers the best products for their needs
Education and experience
- High school diploma or GED
- In-depth knowledge of products
- Excellent sales and communication skills
- Working knowledge of payment systems
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent knowledge of working a register
- Exceptional and outstanding sales experience
- Knowledgeable about inventory management and skills to promote the business with confidence
- In-depth knowledge of mathematics
- Communication & problem–solving
- Quantifications and a cheerful working attitude
- Ability to upsell
- Very familiar with POS (Point of Sale) Systems and ability to adapt to learn new technologies
- Should be an excellent communicator with exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding sales knowledge and time management skills
- Experience working in another retail store
This position includes implementing store promotions, displaying sale and informational signage, and coordinating events.
- Ensure customers receive outstanding service & have a commitment to service excellence and customer satisfaction
- Generate sales and merchandise product
- Be positive and friendly at all times to your coworkers and especially to our customers
- Execute the daily operational, day-to-day goals and priorities assigned by store management
- Participate in the stocking of new shipments and help the team to keep the receiving and back stock area clean and organized
- Uphold merchandising, inventory, and store cleanliness standards and procedures
- Maintain well-stocked, well-organized department, and back-stock area
- Be responsive to safety issues and be conscious of shoplifting activity
- Solicit customers to open (Store) rewards membership
- Be proactive about learning everything you can about our customers, our products, and our business
- Assist in training and mentoring of your peers
- Uphold Attendance policies
- Other duties may be assigned
- Strong product knowledge in Hardware related products, gardening, plumbing, electrical, paint, construction, tools, or other hardware-related area required
- Education/Training: High School diploma, some college preferred
- Prior retail experience preferred, not required
- Knowledge of retail computer systems, MS word, and other computer systems (computer literate)
- A commitment to service excellence and customer satisfaction
- Solid team player with excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, exceptional organizational ability, high attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds frequently
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to move and handle boxes of merchandise and fixtures throughout the store, which entails lifting and perform all functions as set forth.
The purpose of this job is to consistently achieve individual sales goals to support the store’s sales and profit objectives, while providing superior customer service.
- Generate sales to exceed personal sales goals
- Promote the Music and Arts lesson program
- Create business by networking with teachers/schools, churches, and community organizations
- Develop customer relationships and provide compelling sales presentations based on sales training
- Demonstrate outstanding customer service to each and every customer
- Promote customer loyalty
- Participate in all areas of store’s operation including merchandising, displays, and maintenance
- Additional duties as assigned.
Minimum experience, knowledge and skills
- 1 year of relevant work experience
- Intermediate knowledge of musical instruments and written music
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- 2 years of relevant work experience
- Skilled knowledge of musical instruments and written music
- The ability to work as part of a team and also independently
- Good communication and ‘people’ skills
- A strong commitment to customer service
- The ability to work under pressure and handle challenging situations
- Confidence, drive and enthusiasm
- Decision-making ability and a sense of responsibility
- Ability to work as a team in a sales presentation to overcome customers’ objections and close additional sales
- The ability to multitask with customers in store and on the phone
The Sales Associate is expected to engage customers to determine their needs and direct them to the appropriate merchandise while providing product knowledge and offering additional goods and services. In this role you will be expected to meet sales and productivity goals and you will work directly as a consultant to customers who want to create wedding and gift registries.
- Engage customers in a courteous, helpful, and respectful manner, promptly and politely responds to customer inquiries and customer requests for support
- Escort customers to appropriate merchandise
- Explain basic features of merchandise to customers
- Resolve customer issues and escalates issues as necessary to ensure customer satisfaction
- Organize and straighten merchandise areas on the sales floor
- Process customer transactions through the register as required
- Execute activities related to store initiatives to offer customers additional products and services (e.g., special sale items, credit card applications)
- Assist customers in creating registries, as needed
- Execute price changes and sign changes as needed
- Perform additional, sometimes specialized duties as required by business needs including, but not limited to, stocking, freight processing, fulfillment, and price changes, cart retrieval, and cashiering
Education, experience, and qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1 year of retail experience desired
- Effective communication and customer service skills
- Readily adjusts schedule, tasks, and priorities when necessary to meet business needs
Candidate Certifications to Look For
Citibank Certified Retail Sales associate
The course will make candidates learn about the value of great salesmanship and key activities that every sales associate needs to execute to be successful. Another benefit is discovering and practicing the activities required to make the customer comfortable in the store and with sales representatives. The training will build their interpersonal skills ahead of their tasks, such as describing the various selling and service models and how they impact customers’ satisfaction.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your previous retail sales experience?
- What is your approach to engaging a customer when they enter the store?
- When making product recommendations, how do you assess a customer’s needs?
- When it comes to maintaining the appearance of the store, what steps do you take to ensure that shelves are well stocked and displays are well arranged?
- To provide customers with the best recommendations, how do you keep up with new product releases and inventory changes?
- What steps do you take to ensure customers have a positive shopping experience in your store, and how do you address any problems that may arise?
- When you had a high volume of customers, how did you manage your time and prioritize their needs?
- In order to ensure accuracy and prevent errors, how do you handle cash and credit card transactions?
- When have you collaborated with other team members toward a common goal, such as completing a large sale or restocking a specific item?
- Can you tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer, and how you handled it?