What Does an Office Manager Do?
Office managers oversee the day-to-day operations of an organization and ensure that office procedures and systems function smoothly. Their responsibilities may include overseeing support staff, managing office supplies, and maintaining office equipment and facilities. From small businesses to large corporations, office managers can work in a variety of industries.
A successful office manager must have excellent organizational and time management skills, as well as the ability to multitask. As they will interact with clients, stakeholders, and other team members on a regular basis, these individuals should also possess strong communication and interpersonal skills. Furthermore, they should be able to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with care. As such an important administrative role, office managers can make the difference between an efficient, well-run operation and a disorganized mess.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Office manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Office Manager is:
Office Manager Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an office manager. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
The ABC company located in (city, state) is recruiting one person to fulfill the Office Manager functions. In their Office Manager capacity, the employee will ensure the smooth running of the office on a day-to-day basis.
- Keep the office stocked with necessary supplies (stationery, furniture, equipment, snacks, etc.)
- Organize company events
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements; generate and submit expense reports
- Provide general support to visitors
- Organize internal meetings and meetings with partners/collaborators
- Partner with HR to maintain office policies, arrange on-site candidate interviews, and onboard new hires
- Coordinate with IT on office infrastructure
- Manage relationships with vendors, service providers, and landlord; ensure that all items are invoiced and paid on time
- Oversee buying and receiving activities for office and lab
- Prepare annual budget, plan expenditures, analyze variances, and make necessary corrections
- Organize lab notebook distribution and filing according to Legal’s requirements
- Serve as point person for contract management
Education and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, including business administration classes or equivalent
- At least 5 years previous administrative or secretarial experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional organization skills
- History of working with budgets
- Independent contributor
- Complete fluency with Microsoft Office suite and advanced web-based purchasing/expense/contract/etc. applications
- Highly motivated individual, who is used to fast pace environments and wants to be part of a dynamic team
We have an opening for a highly-skilled and motivated Office Manager to supervise operations. This position would be a great opportunity for individuals that are serious self-starters who are looking to grow their career.
- Review and make improvements to office production
- Manage overall office administration
- Work with Management in monitoring budget for office-related items and staff
- Handle copy services, word processing, mail and distribution services, office reception, office equipment, utility services, and communication systems
- Engage in growing and changing office policies and procedure for improved workflow
- Past experience in a supervisory role
- General familiarity with Basic Office Equipment
- Well-founded grasp of customer service
- Practical knowledge of navigating basic office equipment and protocols
- Microsoft Outlook experience
- Solid understanding of data entry
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word experience
- Command of Microsoft PowerPoint
- Proven knowledge of Google Docs
- Job-related experience
The Office Manager in ABC company manages the office’s daily operations by providing guidance and leadership necessary to assist the store in achieving sales and profit goals.
- Procedural compliance to ensure that all transactions are handled in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Successful implementation of company programs and initiatives (including extended warranty sales, in-store signage, pricing and merchandising tagging)
- Providing the direction, leadership, and motivation necessary to assist the store in achieving sales and profit goals
- Achieving personal sales and extended warranty goals by working on the sales floor
- Assist Store Manager in recruiting, interviewing, and hiring top talent
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One to three years of retail office experiences
- Previous supervisory experience
- Ability to sell in a commission environment
- Experience using a PC or POS system or other computer keyboard is required
- Strong communication and organizational skills required
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Sample Interview Questions
- How have you managed office operations and ensured that office systems and procedures run smoothly?
- Could you tell me more about your experience managing office supplies and maintaining office equipment and facilities?
- What is your experience managing schedules and delegating tasks to support staff?
- Are you familiar with managing office expenses and budgets?
- Do you have experience scheduling and preparing materials for office events and meetings?
- What steps do you take to ensure that office systems and procedures are efficient and effective?
- What is your experience with handling confidential or sensitive information, such as financial records or personnel files?
- In a fast-paced environment, how do you prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects?
- Have you implemented or maintained new office policies and procedures?
- When it comes to relationships with clients, stakeholders, and team members, how do you ensure that they are positive and productive?