What Does a Copywriter Do?
Copywriters are responsible for writing a variety of different content, such as websites, ad campaigns, social media posts, and print. A copywriter must have exceptional written communication skills and the ability to translate marketing objectives into captivating campaigns that inspire action. Copywriters know how to use the power of words to elicit a positive response. They inject heart and humor to drive action from readers. Copywriters have excellent collaboration skills and good listening skills as they typically work with art directors, graphic designers, digital strategists, and others.
A typical day for a copywriter may vary, but they must be able to understand a client’s vision and communicate that to customers. Copywriters must have thick skin and be ready to edit, revise, and change their copy to meet client desires and needs. Copywriters are good multitaskers, often working on several projects at once. Self-motivation, solid research skills, and good problem-solving ability are key attributes of a copywriter.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Copywriter salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Copywriter is:
Copywriter Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great copywriter is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
[Your Company Name] is in search of an experienced copywriter. This candidate will be responsible for producing engaging, clear text for different advertising channels such as websites, advertisements, and magazines. Duties include meeting with clients to establish needs, researching keywords, producing interesting written content, and proofreading work for accuracy and quality. The copywriter should propose concepts in an engaging way for clients, carry out projects once they are approved, interpret creative direction and technical information and turn them into persuasive copy concepts, and work with clients to edit and modify their writing in order to meet content expectations. The ideal candidate will be able to work well with a team, multitask, be organized, self-motivated, and be a critical thinker. Attention to detail is a must, and knowledge of SEO is essential. This candidate must have one or more years of experience as a copywriter, or a similar role, and the ability to understand SEO and web traffic data.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Write concise and compelling copy that calls the desired audiences to action
- Participate in kickoff meetings, status updates, and creative reviews to deliver assets that meet project objectives
- Present creative concepts and completed assets to clients
- Communicate clearly with external and internal contacts to ensure projects are completed on schedule and within client expectations
- Deliver consistent brand tone and messaging across various projects and media
- Brainstorm creative concepts for new marketing and advertising campaigns
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in digital marketing, creative writing, journalism, or a similar field.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong command of grammar and spelling
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Ability to adapt writing style to audiences and brand guidelines
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- 3+ years writing content for a business
- Experience writing SEO-specific content
- Excellent written skills and near-perfect grammar
This is a Copywriter role which will be responsible for leading writing projects on brand development, production design and label drafts, build out conceptual and customer-facing language for digital marketing platforms, and contributing to the social media marketing content plan. Duties will also include press releases and website copy.
What you’ll do
- The role is an idea and execution engine for the brand & voice copy for ABC Company, including but not limited to:
- Crafting and expanding the ABC Company brand voice for all global content mediums
- Manage copywriting development and ideation management for brand architecture
- Work with internal department to complete all creative writing milestones
- Collaborate closely with Head of Creative + Brand, Art Directors, Product Managers, Video Teams, to ensure campaigns are on message and aligned with brand architecture
- Pitch new content and creative concept ideas around the ABC Company content platform
- Write with precision, humanity, and affection for positive messaging
- Excel in a fast-paced, intense, environment under meticulous, driven leadership
- Be obsessed with innovation and crafting stories about human possibility
Skills and qualifications
- 2-5 years of relevant professional experience developing compelling creative copy for a world class agency or in-house creative team
- Have strong bias for action in a fast-paced, metric-driven environment
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results on creative projects
- Own, develop and evangelize brand personality through written word
- Self-motivated team player, with refined and assertive leadership skills
- The ability to pitch ideas, set and achieve goals and deadlines
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with a passion for the planet
We provide you with the opportunity to explore your curiosity and drive us forward. We’ll give you the space to share your strengths and we want you to show us what you can do. You can innovate, grow, and discover in a place where you can thrive.
- Conceptualize, develop, and write copy for campaigns including (but not limited to) emails, SMS, landing pages, banners, and other non-digital ad hoc requests
- Partner with art director to drive and optimize messaging
- Ensure communications are on brand and compelling to the target audience.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of marketing best practices and apply to all work.
- Continually test and optimize creative deliverables
- Develop internal best practices for digital copy
- Responsible for editing and proofing materials all communications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Creative Writing, Advertising, or a related field
- 3+ years copywriting experience with email/SMS campaigns or other related digital field
- Strong portfolio demonstrating digital/email samples
- Effective verbal and written skills including excellent spelling and grammar
- Attention to detail, good organizational skills, and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative work style
- Experience with Digital Asset Management Systems
- Experience copywriting for SEO
Our unique culture is rooted in a great deal of care for you and your success. Above all else, we are committed to strengthening your experience by ensuring your inner potential continues to be discovered.
We also offer about a dozen employee resource groups (ERGs) that allow you to tap into your personal identities, interests and passions. Our ERGs celebrate ethnic diversity, life as a working parent or caregiver, neurodiversity, the LGBTQ+ community, wellbeing, and more. Regardless of your interests, there is no shortage of opportunities to get involved, so tap into our global network and find where you can make your ideas come to life.
- Strong conceptual and writing skills with knowledge of the digital landscape
- Ability to create concepts and copy that deliver on creative briefs and align to business goals
- A solid command of the English language (grammar, spelling, and vocabulary)
- Polished client presentation skills, demonstrating a clear vision of how the work addresses problems and requirements set forth in a creative brief
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to envision creative ways to leverage online ideas and technologies
- Mid to high level of proficiency in branding, online marketing and media concepts
- Ability to integrate the big idea through multiple mediums
- A bachelor’s degree (or portfolio equivalent) in creative writing, advertising, communications, or relevant field
- Three-plus years of experience in an agency setting, with strong conceptual abilities, solid writing skills, and a knowledge of the digital landscape
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Blackford Center for Copywriting Certificate. Blackford Center for Copywriting is a renowned online copywriting program. In this program, candidates will learn how to write copy and content for the web, social media, newsletters, and press releases. They will also learn the basics of SEO, how to find clients, and set up their own websites. This course is available online for them to complete on their own time, and they will receive a certificate at the end.
- American Writers and Artists Inc. (AWAI). The course offered by American Writers and Artists Inc. is regarded as “the world’s most popular copywriting course.” This online course is completed at a candidate’s own pace and offers many benefits including how to write copy, create persuasive material, and opportunities to build up a portfolio of work in order to help them establish themselves as well-practiced copywriters.
Sample Interview Questions
- What does your research and writing process look like?
- What made you want to become a copywriter?
- What do you like about our current content?
- What kind of changes could you bring to the table?
- Have you altered your writing to fit different demographics?
- How do you define success on a project?
- What strategies do you employ before you begin writing a piece of copy?
- If you were asked to create 35 pieces of content per week, what would you say?
- Why do you want to work for our brand?
- What kind of experience do you have as a writer?
- How would you describe your personal writing style and tone?
- How do you work under stress?
- Have you ever received a piece of negative criticism on your copy? How did you respond?
- Can we see a copy of your writing portfolio?