What Does an Office Administrator Do?
Office administrators are responsible for the operation of an organization. They are involved in numerous office tasks, including coordinating meetings, making appointments, and overseeing staff. These professionals are responsible for ensuring the office runs smoothly and efficiently according to company policies and procedures. An office administrator also keeps inventory records and replenishes supplies as needed. They perform bookkeeping functions, train staff, and manage the day-to-day needs of upper management, such as appointments, travel arrangements, and emails. Individuals in this role must be proficient with computers and computer software like MS Office and ERP to manage both financial and personnel records and databases.
An office administrator should have excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as strong leadership qualities and organizational abilities. Knowledge of general office management procedures and basic accounting principles are also fundamental skills necessary for success. Furthermore, these professionals are always seeking ways to improve processes that keep work flowing.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Office administrator salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Office Administrator is:
Office Administrator Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an office administrator. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Our rapidly growing business is looking for a dynamic office administrator to help get our company to the next level. This is the perfect opportunity for someone who likes a variety of tasks and doesn’t need a lot of oversight. We are looking for someone who is responsible, mature, a self-starter, personable, organized, can multitask, positive, outgoing/expressive, excellent with computers, and is passionate and enthusiastic with our clients.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Work closely with managers to maintain office operations
- Answer inbound phone calls and route the call to the appropriate personnel
- Perform general office administration and clerical tasks
- Book travel arrangements
- Schedule team meetings and client meetings
- Take meeting minutes and transcribe them into a digital format
- Implement strategic office procedures for employees, administrators, and other staff
- Post open job positions to job boards
- Access financial reporting records, generate reports, and transcribe data for presentations and upcoming events
- Supervise administrative staff
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and purchase new supplies as needed
- Welcome visitors and direct them to relevant office/personnel.
- Performing bookkeeping tasks such as invoicing, accounts receivable, and budgets
- Ensure adherence to company procedures and policies
Education and experience
- Minimum: high school diploma or GED
- Preferred: associates degree or higher in office administration or related field
- 2+ years related experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and highly accurate
- Highly organized and flexible
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of email, scheduling, spreadsheets, and presentation software
- Exceptional decision-making skills
- Thorough understanding of confidentiality
- Management experience in an office setting
- Specific industry experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software and phone systems
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience handling office equipment
- Customer service skills
- Research skills
- Experience managing budgets and expenses
- Comfortable handling confidential information
- Ability to adapt to changing situations
We are looking for an Office Administrator to join our growing team to help plan, structure, organize, and monitor the many activities happening within our organization. This invaluable role will support all departments and serve as a central hub where organization is key. Applicants must be familiar with business management practices, demonstrate leadership, have strong organizational and time management skills, and be great communicators. As we are in a time of rapid growth and development, we are looking for candidates to eventually advance and lead others within the organization. It is important that you are a teachable individual, open to learning new systems, receiving feedback, and adapting with us as we continue to grow as a company. We truly value passionate and down-to-earth people who are driven to get things done and find creative solutions to problems.
- Manage aspects of document control for the organization
- Monitor incoming/outgoing digital and physical submittals
- Support Purchase Ordering
- Tracking of Time and Expenses
- Coordinate internal and external meetings
- Learn, follow, and improve existing processes and procedures
- Support Accounts Receivables and Payables
- Maintain and ensure physical office space is professional and presentable
- Actively re-prioritize multiple tasks and projects to execute each one in a timely manner
Qualifications & skills
- Computer knowledge and efficiency, including Microsoft Office 365 products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Functions effectively as part of a team
- Strong decision-making/problem-solving skills
- Good math/accounting skills
- Industry experience preferred
Essential job duties
- Work closely with the Office Manager/General Manager to create a team environment producing high-performance results
- Create and maintain a front office environment of World Class Customer Experience through example
- Assist with providing the front office teammates with the necessary tools, training, and information to effectively perform their jobs
- Ensure the center’s consistent application of all ABC Company SOPs through ongoing training and monitoring
- Ensure R.O. file accuracy and SOP, DRP, and regulatory (BAR) compliance during repair and prior to vehicle delivery
- Provide accurate and timely payroll and HR-related administration and recordkeeping for all center associates
- Maintain Accounts Receivables, Accounts Payable accounts, and Cash Handling procedures to company standards
- Complete all Accounting related daily, weekly and monthly processing and reports per company SOPs in a timely and consistent manner
- Ensure controllable expenses are within acceptable guidelines
- Recognize and proactively manage potential problems (associate safety, customer, facility, etc.), including escalating to the next level as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of related experience
- Ability to effectively communicate with others, oral and written
- Organizations, multitasking; adapts easily to a fast-paced environment
- Personable, friendly demeanor with a “World Class” customer service approach to internal and external customers
- Maintains a well-groomed, professional appearance
Physical requirements/working conditions
The position is based in a climate-controlled, professional office environment with moderate noise levels. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work. Regularly required to talk or hear. Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The job may require lifting up to 20 lbs. and long periods of sitting while working at a desk. In the event that travel is required, one must be able to uphold the stress of traveling.
ABC Company is a clinical-stage biotech seeking to revolutionize life-changing therapeutics for patients by identifying novel T cells and epitopes. We are looking for a highly motivated researcher to join our Translational team as Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, supporting both pre-clinical and clinical-stage programs. The ideal candidate should have relevant experience in primary T cell culture, immunoassays, flow cytometry, and cancer biology, as well as enjoy an exciting, collaborative, and vibrant startup culture. A team player with a sense of urgency will thrive in this role.
- Act as the point of contact for visitors to the ABC Company office and create a safe and welcoming environment
- Ensure guests are following all safety/COVID protocols
- Support Business Team VPs in administrative functions
- Interact with multiple levels of employees, vendors, and partners while professionally representing the Business Team and ABC Company
- Organize and maintain files and databases in a confidential manner
- Manage communication including emails and phone calls
- Assist in presentation preparation such as ppt, excel, word, etc.
- Maintain calendars, schedule appointments, meetings, and reservations
- Receive deliveries; sort and distribute incoming mail
- Maintain and order office supplies
- Receive invoices and review them for accuracy
- Coordinate staff travel arrangements including transportation and accommodations
- Order and maintain office and break room supplies
- Support office manager with duties such as contract management, event planning, and catering
- B.S. or 3+ years of administrative experience in any field but preference for candidates with experience in biotech or start-up
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Microsoft office suite and/or Google Business proficiency
- A high degree of attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize with multiple managers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (both written and oral)
- Handling confidential information
- Enthusiastic, problem-solving abilities, and a willingness to work in a fast-paced environment
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- The Certified Administrative Professional (CAP). This certification is accredited by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA) and is specifically designed for administrative professionals. To be eligible without a degree, candidates will need 4 years of relevant work experience. With an AA or bachelor’s degree, they’ll need 2 years of experience. Relevant work experience includes verbal and written communication, business writing, records management, project management, and accounting functions. The course covers areas such as organizational communications, business writing and document production, and office and records management. With a CAP, candidates demonstrate that they have the administrative skills necessary to excel as office administrators.
- The Certified Manager (CM). Offered by the Institute of Certified Professional Managers, this certification program verifies a candidate’s ability to manage and their potential to lead with a level of competency. The eligibility requirements include a combination of education and experience. To earn the certification, they must pass a series of three CM assessment exams covering the foundations of management, planning, organizing, and leading and controlling. The CM certification will separate candidates from their peers for hiring and career advancement.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA). Offered by the Institute of Management Accountants, the CMA is a professional certification credential in management and financial accounting. The CMA signifies that candidates possess knowledge in areas such as financial planning, analysis, control, risk management and internal controls, and professional ethics. To obtain certification, they must pass a rigorous exam, meet the educational and experience requirements, and commit to continuous learning through continuing professional education (CPE).
How to Hire an Office Administrator
When hiring an office administrator, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder for an office administrator opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- Which led you to pursue a career in office administration, and what experience do you have?
- When faced with conflict or difficult situations at work, what techniques do you use to resolve disputes fairly?
- Tell me about your experience managing schedules, coordinating meetings, and handling travel arrangements.
- What techniques would you use to motivate and inspire your administrative staff?
- Describe your experience managing budgets and finances, and explain how you will keep the office within its budget.
- When did you have to prioritize competing demands on your time and multitask? How did you cope?
- What steps do you take to ensure that the office is always stocked with office supplies?
- When it comes to handling incoming and outgoing correspondence, how do you ensure that it is handled in a timely and professional manner?
- When it is time to update policies, what steps do you take to ensure they are followed?