What Does a Business Systems Analyst Do?
Business systems analysts can be called BSAs, computer systems analysts, and even systems architects. But no matter the label, these professionals are defined by the goal of helping an organization operate more efficiently and effectively through the design and implementation of information technology systems.
Business systems analysts use both business and information technology tools to evaluate a company’s operating systems and procedures — as well as designing and implementing improvements. BSAs typically consult with managers or other functional area leaders to understand how they use IT systems, research emerging technologies that might be a good fit for the company, analyze costs and benefits, and implement new systems. Their responsibilities can also include writing technical instruction manuals and training users.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Business systems analyst salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Business Systems Analyst is:
Business Systems Analyst Job Descriptions
A great business systems analyst job description can make a big difference when recruiting. Here are some real-world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
Our business systems analysts use a variety of different technical skills alongside a great ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical personnel. If this sounds like you, you could be the perfect fit for [Your Company Name].
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Analyze business, engineering, and data processing problems
- Improve computer systems and implement solutions
- Examine user requirements, procedures, and issues to improve existing systems and automation
- Review and analyze technical reports, manuals, periodicals, and other reference materials
- Review existing computer systems to understand capabilities, scheduling, and workflow limitations, and make recommendations, including upgrading to and purchasing new equipment or software packages
- Document, develop and revise system design procedures, test procedures, and quality standards
- Maintain, test and monitor computer systems and programs while coordinating installations of new applications and systems
- Assist staff in resolving computer-related problems, such as programming errors and malfunctions
- Consult with management to reach agreement on system operating principles
- Work with clients to address information computation or processing needs
- Train and supervise computer programmers and systems analysts on computer programs and systems
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, or an IT-related field. Employers prefer job candidates with a master’s degree in business or the equivalent, and experience in computer systems.
Required skills and qualifications
- Extensive experience in information technology, computer programming, and management information systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient in computer skills
- Ability to understand systems records and analyze data
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- 5+ years experience in analytics
- Bachelor’s in information systems, business, or a related field
Application Support BSA
Business Systems Analyst will apply technical savvy, problem solving and communication skills in an agile, fast-paced, custom applications development environment to support the innovation and smooth operation of proprietary, industry leading technologies. Work with platform administrators, software developers, subject matter experts and end users to facilitate platform adoption by helping implement system enhancements, resolve technical issues, and conduct training.
- Provide application and platform operational support to developers, business users, and customers
- Participates in the creation of standard operating procedures and end-user documentation
- Provide technical assistance in the evaluation, design, development, modification, and testing of programs and integrated platforms
- Coordinates with vendors to report and help resolve any issues or defects in functionality
- Create, maintain, and curate platform architecture documentation
- Works under the direction of senior technical team members and business contacts to understand and define system enhancement goals and technical requirements
- Utilizes company policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure quality, consistency, and performance of new frameworks being implemented
- Under direct direction, works to expand skills, and professional development
- Support existing applications on a 24×7 basis as a member of an applications on-call support process
- BS or BA in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field required. Advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience directly supporting packaged or custom software applications in a business analyst capacity
- Position is distinguished from lower positions by a good knowledge of a few business areas/processes, applications, and ability to solve business problems of general complexity. Good proficiency in business process design, execution, and operations
- Participates as a contributor to IT projects
- Good ability to merge business process and technical concepts together to innovate creative solutions to business problems and objectives
- Good written and verbal communication skills resolving end user questions and technical issues. Good interaction with associates from multiple disciplines and at various levels in an organization, good ability to adapt quickly to changing business requirements, good ability to quickly troubleshoot problems that may arise in work products and propose multiple options (and associated plans) for resolution
- Works under direct supervision
- Good proficiency and understanding of SDLC and supporting agile software development. Experience using Jira and Confluence is preferred
- Positive attitude and commitment to providing superior support and collaboration with team members, company associates and external partners
- Good proficiency for learning new systems and their administration, configuration options and integration methods and the ability to apply this knowledge to address business problems of general complexity
- Good ability to communicate complex concepts both verbally and in written form
- Good documentation skills- provides oversight around documentation creation/standards/templates, etc.
- Good proficiency with presentation skills both formally in a group setting and informally with 1:1 interaction with end users
- Good understanding of business functionality and the ability to translate it into application requirements
- Good prioritization skills, project management, and organization skills
- Good knowledge testing software and associated testing processes
- Good proficiency in system and business process interdependencies and change management
Voice and Data Networking BSA
This position contributes to our success by delivering and supporting technology solutions in support of technology initiatives. As a Business Systems Analyst, you will identify, design, and deploy technology and process solutions establishing key business capabilities enabling the realization of strategic initiatives and operational improvements. This role requires proficiency in requirements analysis, solution design, and process improvement coupled with the ability to collaborate effectively across various IT and business functions. Models and acts in accordance with our guiding principles.
- Supports project initiation efforts by assisting in the definition of project scope and the identification/selection of targeted solution(s). Assists project management in the development of work plans, effort estimates, and delivery timelines
- Gathers, analyzes, and documents solution requirements. Facilitates user story creation and backlog grooming in an agile delivery environment
- Coordinates with vendors and partners to ensure retail telecommunications (phone and internet) are installed in a timely manner
- Utilizes LEAN techniques to develop business process designs and improve operations via process re-engineering efforts
- Creates solution designs utilizing user-centric design techniques
- Coordinates with business, development, and testing teams and leverages relevant process and technology proficiency to propose optimal solution(s) options delivering required business capabilities
- Proactively identifies and effectively assesses improvement opportunities (productivity/efficiency gains, cost savings, etc.)
- Utilizes agile delivery methodologies and participates on scrum teams in execution of solution delivery projects
- Considers overall user technology experience in thoughtfully designing engaging solutions
- Discuss users’ needs and determine vulnerabilities or areas of poor performance to boost productivity, efficiency, and accuracy in our computer systems
- This position contributes to our success by executing against process and technology solutions in support of our Retail Network Voice and Data Provisioning initiatives
- Planning, coordinating, tracking, and ensuring that phone and data circuits are provisioned and installed on time at retail stores
- Reviews and approves invoices for new store and remodel activity from vendors. Reviews with procurement if necessary
- Provides 24*7 global support of critical systems
- Demonstrates system proficiency and leverages subject matter expertise to perform root cause analysis and assess issue trends
- Coordinates issue resolution with vendors and/or cross-functional teams. Provides timely and thorough communication regarding issue status/resolution with end-users and other key stakeholders
- Creates and maintains systems documentation (e.g. Microsoft Teams, Knowledge Base Articles) Develops and facilitates system training
- Assists with the creation and analysis of Retail Network Provisioning reports
- Partners with business and proposes solutions/improvements
- Works effectively in a self-directed manner with minimal direction from lead and/or manager
- Leads smaller streams of work. Interfaces across all organization levels comfortably
- Generates new ideas and influences decisions within and outside team
- Demonstrates knowledge of telecommunications industry trends and innovative thought leadership
- Collaborates well with other teams to improve the overall productivity and quality of processes
Software Development BSA
In this interesting and diverse role, you’ll
- Be accountable for meeting organizational expectations regarding business solution delivery standards, solution quality, client satisfaction, BA/QA resource management, fiscal oversight, practitioner skills enhancement, work scope management, and the enhancement of BA/QA practitioner capabilities
- Be accountable for ensuring all business analysis and quality assurance work products adhere to the practices and standards defined by Community of Practice and project leaders
- Be responsible for active participation in appropriate professional Community of Practice forums and for contributing to standards development and implementation
- Be accountable for establishing and revising level of effort estimations, monitoring task execution and meeting established project milestones
- Collaborate with client facing and technical delivery teams to ensure the efficient elicitation and implementation of business solution functional requirements and non-functional requirements
- Be accountable for the documentation of formal requirements, use cases, user stories, test plans, test cases, test scripts, and test suites which ensure that the software solutions developed and tested are fit for purpose, meet business needs, and are operationally sustainable
- Be accountable for ensuring all business analysis and quality assurance resources comply with time reporting and other mandated organizational and corporate policies
- Great understanding of Java, SQL, .NET, C++, HTML, and Microsoft Office
- Excellent organization, analytical, planning, and leadership skills
- Great relationship building and consulting skills
- Bachelor’s degree or 4+ years in equivalent experience
- CSM preferred
- CMST, CMSQ, CBAP, or CCBA are a plus
- Familiarity with SharePoint and automated QA tools
- Mastery knowledge of Agile methodology
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP). This certification demonstrates a candidate’s ability to draw valuable insight and meaning from highly complex data. In order to qualify for this certification, they’ll need a master’s degree in a related field with 5 years experience, or a bachelor’s with 7 years experience. This certification is an excellent way to show potential employers candidates have the knowledge to guide sensitive and strategic business decisions in the long term.
- IIBA Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA). This entry-level certification is an excellent first step in moving into the world of business analytics. This is the first of three courses offered by the Institute of Business Analytics. To become eligible, candidates will need to complete 21 hours of professional training credits within the past 4 years. After that, there’s no renewal or expiration.
- IIBA Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA). This is the second level of certification following the ECBA. This certification will further prove a candidate’s commitment to business analytics and demonstrate that they are a serious contender among their competitors. This certification requires 3,750 hours of business analytics work, 21 hours of professional development training, 2 professional references, and the prerequisite ECBA.
- IIBA Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP). This is the third and final certification in the IIBA chain. This designates the highest and most accomplished in a candidate’s field and demonstrates the highest level of mastery one can be given within the field. After they’ve obtained the previous two certifications and provided all the necessary criteria, they can test for the coveted certification.
Sample Interview Questions
- What experience do you have in analyzing business processes and identifying areas for improvement?
- Can you describe a complex problem you solved using a systems approach?
- What methods do you use to gather requirements from stakeholders?
- How do you ensure the solutions you provide align with the company’s overall strategy and goals?
- Can you give an example of how you have worked with cross-functional teams to implement a new system?
- How do you stay current with technology and industry trends in business systems analysis?
- How do you prioritize and manage competing project demands and timelines?
- Can you explain how you handle conflicts or roadblocks during a project?
- Can you walk us through your process for testing and quality assurance in a project?
- How do you measure the success of a project and its impact on the business?
- What business intelligence tools have you worked with in the past?