What Does a Property Manager Do?
Property managers undertake management responsibilities for residential, industrial, or commercial properties. They handle everything from rent prices, marketing, finding tenants for vacant properties, addressing tenant issues, and managing the maintenance of properties. They work with tenants and property owners to meet their needs, so they must have good communication and customer relations skills. Property managers must also have strong negotiation skills in order to negotiate lease contracts. Excellent attention to detail and record-keeping skills are also essential as these professionals handle rent payments, security deposits, and operating expenses.
A successful property manager should have an in-depth understanding of property management and the rental market and must keep abreast of the rules and regulations pertaining to property management. They typically work for property management companies, real estate firms, or property owners and should be familiar with MS Office or other relevant computer software.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Property manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Property Manager is:
Property Manager Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional property manager. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
[Your Company Name] is searching for a property manager who can help with the day-to-day operations at our management firm. We manage [list of properties] and need someone to oversee applications, move ins, move outs, maintenance requests, and more. This person should be experienced, reliable, and ready to manage a growing portfolio with potential to grow. Because of our commitment to tenant satisfaction, we’re searching for an experienced property manager to join our team and help manage and deescalate tenants in our properties. As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience in managing multiple properties, either in residential or commercial properties. Your ability to establish and maintain relationships should be top priority, and you have a natural desire to help people in all areas of the process.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Oversee and manage all designated buildings/properties
- Coordinate maintenance and inspections to ensure all laws and codes are in compliance
- Assistant tenants with the application process and background checks
- Collect rent
- Resolve property complaints and schedule repair work
- Paying property taxes, mortgages, insurance and maintenance costs
- Assessing applications in accordance with anti-discrimination laws
- Document property interior and exterior with each new move in and move out
- Oversee security
- Prepare annual expense reports
- Market vacant properties
- Manage leasing team
Education and experience
- High school diploma needed
- Associates degree or bachelor’s degree preferred
- Three years of related experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to convey and resolve complaints and problems that arise
- Excellent organization and customer service skills
- Experience managing properties both residential and commercial
- Experience handling stressful situations that may arise
- Ability to deescalate situations with current or past tenants
- Experience with advertising rental properties
- Experience in marketing and writing great property descriptions
- Treating client needs with urgency
ABC Company is seeking hard-working, energetic employees to help us maintain our large and quickly growing portfolio of vacation homes as a Property Caretaker in (City, State). Responsibilities will include maintaining homes and housekeeping; which includes deep cleaning, organizing, stocking amenities, and corresponding with our outstanding local team, as well as our central management team.
- Manage and maintain a portfolio of homes
- Guest calls and ASAP response to issues that arise with your properties
- Owner communication
- Familiarity with cell phones and reliable internet
- Professionally clean residences using cleaning procedures and products in conformance with prescribed company standards
- Sweeping, vacuuming, and washing all hard surface floors
- Moving all reasonably portable furniture in rooms to clean under and behind
- Maintaining hot tubs (no experience necessary, onsite training will be provided)
- Performing customer service and quality control
- Basic property maintenance (fixing garbage disposal, changing wall outlets, etc.)
- Weekend availability a must
- Applicants should be experienced in all aspects of general housekeeping and deep cleaning of residence
- Applied verbal and written communications
- Attention to detail
- Cleaning experience
- Personal smartphone and Internet access
- Reasonable comfort level with computers
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license is a must
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
The Property Manager has full responsibility for maximizing all aspects and performance of the assigned property.
The Property Manager is responsible to develop, direct, and supervise all property staff to achieve the financial and occupancy goals of the community while maintaining the property in good physical condition and appearance and providing exceptional customer service to our valued residents.
Essential responsibilities and duties
- Develop and maintain efficient and professional staff and other human resource responsibilities including hiring & terminating employees under the direction of the Regional Manager. Orienting, training, and scheduling of employees. Performing written evaluations of employees including any needed disciplinary actions. Making recommendations for salary increases and/or promotions and bonuses
- Reviewing and maintaining accurate payroll records as required by the company
- Maintaining employee morale, motivation, and teamwork
- Effective and respectful communication with staff at all times
- Ensure a professional appearance and manner for oneself and all personnel at all times
- Meet income expectations by maintaining high occupancy levels. Ensuring full and on-time rental payments. Minimizing delinquencies and uncollectible accounts. Seeking auxiliary income opportunities. Keeping within established budgets. Eliminating unnecessary expenses
- Manage the accounting of all income including depositing monies received daily, posting transactions into Entrata, and maintaining accurate financial records
- Review and approve all property invoices according to company procedure
- Oversee all activities related to leasing involving advertising and promoting the community including seeking agreements with business and locator services to promote the community. Ensuring the practice of approved leasing techniques and sales methods. Overseeing applicant screening procedures. Reviewing and approving all leases and related forms before move-in. Ensuring the proper move-in/out procedures. Handling all details of move-ins and move-outs regarding Entrata. Insuring apartment inspections at check-in and check-out
- Design and implement a resident retention program, i.e., newsletters, resident referral programs, and/or social activities
- Maintain a good rapport with the residents including efficient and courteous responses to all resident requests and resolving conflicts properly
- Inspect the property daily to ensure that the residents are provided with a clean, safe, and well-maintained community
- Develop and maintain a maintenance program focused on ensuring that maintenance requests are handled promptly and professionally. Emergency maintenance is given immediate attention. Turnovers are completed thoroughly and efficiently. General maintenance is occurring routinely. Preventative maintenance is scheduled and documented. Needed property improvements are communicated to upper management. All maintenance records are completed accurately
- Inventory and maintain adequate supplies and equipment needed for the property according to company procedure
- Ensure that all personnel are knowledgeable concerning and operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) standards and company safety policies at all times including reporting accidents and emergency situations to the corporate office and preparing proper reports
- Monitor the performance of vendors and contractors
- Generate, maintain and submit all administrative forms, files, and reports in an efficient and timely manner
- Remain knowledgeable on market conditions, industry issues, technology, and skills
- Work with upper management in completing any other reasonable task needed to accomplish the community and company objectives. This includes informing and enforcing new policies and procedures brought up during the monthly Manager’s Meetings, Manager’s Training Seminar, Yearly Budget Seminar, or any other corporate meeting
Qualifications and requirements
- 2 years or equivalent previous property management experience
- Good reasoning skills
- Retain new information and training
- Have problem-solving skills
- Be able to deal with conflict situations
- Strong leadership, organization and time management, sales, and customer service skills are also essential
- Be able to communicate effectively and professionally and present information to customers, residents, and other employees of the company
- Ability to read accounting ledgers and calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, pro-rations, etc.
- Strong computer literacy with Entrata, Adobe, MS Word, Excel, E-mail, and Internet or the ability to learn quickly is also required.
- Associate’s Degree or 2 to 3 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience as an onsite Property Manager in a multi-family community required
- Experience with sales, marketing, and financials
- Proficient in computer software including but not limited to, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Experience with Onesite, Ops, Bluemoon, and Yardi is required. Direct Experience with Onesite is strongly preferred
- Manage all day to day operations and onsite team
- Interview and train new employees
- Maintain positive working relationship with residents, vendors, and contractors
- Manage and accurately report details of property’s operating costs and expenses
- Work to meet budgeted goals for income and expenses; develop strategic marketing plans to achieve occupancy, delinquency and physical plant goals
- Identify existing and potential barriers to the successful accomplishment of property objectives and utilizing performance data, observation, and budgetary and other financial information and creates solutions to those problems
- Utilize the market information to make strategic decisions for the success of the property
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Manager of Community Associations (CMCA). This is awarded by the National Board of Certification for Community Association Managers (NBC-CAM) and recognizes candidates who have gained the necessary skills and knowledge to manage community associations, such as co-ops and/or condo associations. Education on new and updated rental laws are needed for all members. This is a requirement for them to keep their CMCA certification current.
- Certified Property Manager (CMP). Qualifying is an extensive process. To become certified, candidates must have knowledge in all areas of the business. Having a real estate license or having documentation proving that a license isn’t required from their state is required.
- Residential Management Professional (RMP). Candidates must have a real estate license, have a minimum of 2 years of experience, and manage 25 rentals in a candidacy time period.
- Certified Apartment Manager. This certification works great for property managers who work specifically on apartment rentals. These programs can be completed online or in a classroom. An exam is required to take at the end of the course for property managers to achieve accreditation.
Sample Interview Questions
- Do you follow a particular approach when it comes to managing a property and dealing with tenants?
- What methods do you use for collecting rent, budgeting, and reporting property finances?
- Do you use any strategies to address communication challenges with tenants and contractors?
- What steps do you take to ensure that properties are well maintained and that tenants’ needs are being met?
- When faced with a difficult tenant situation, how did you handle the situation?
- What are your methods for managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and responsibilities at the same time?
- Have you used any effective strategies to address property maintenance and repair issues?
- Which tools or systems have you used to manage property records to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date?
- What was your experience working collaboratively with property owners and contractors?