What Does a Sourcing Specialist Do?
Successful businesses develop the ability to find and hire the best, most talented people efficiently and thoroughly. They realize that employees are the backbone of every great company, and should be regarded as its most valuable resource. Helping find the right candidate quickly is where a sourcer comes in.
Sourcers are akin to recruiters, but different in that they typically are tasked with finding and reaching out to passive candidates. These are people not actively applying through a company’s website or job posts, but instead, those talented individuals who may be an excellent fit for a company, but need to be discovered and contacted.
Sourcers, in other words, are hunters. They’re great at researching social media, the internet, and beyond to find those great candidates who might have slipped through the cracks, or may not be aware of opportunities for them at the sourcer’s company. In today’s world, there is no single best way to find and recruit talent, making a sourcer’s role an essential one in the recruitment process — finding qualified candidates where others can’t, then typically handing them over to a recruiter.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Sourcing specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Sourcing Specialist is:
Sourcing Specialist Job Descriptions
Develops and supports initiatives for cost, inventory reductions, and improvement of supplier performance. Collaborates with commodity teams to support combining of spend to affect cost savings. Has particular expertise in certain commodity purchasing. Involves working with suppliers to obtain parts, supplies, and/or equipment per design specification at the best value, within schedule and quality requirements.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Proactive, motivated, collaborative team member, as well as independent minded individual requiring little direction from Management
- Pursue and leverage strategic Supplier Partnerships that produce results in increased efficiencies and cost reductions
- Take personal ownership for supplier selection, quality, performance, and development
- Identify and develop solutions to opportunities, inside or outside assigned commodity group, which can be streamlined or made more efficient
- Analyze, develop, and implement strategy for assigned spend
- Responsible for assigned direct and indirect spend
- Identify foreign and domestic suppliers aligned to a Company’s needs for strategic growth
- Negotiate major supply contracts within a matrix team environment
- Develop and lead the implementation of effective purchasing processes, procedures, policies, and controls
- Monitor and offer improvements to Company’s ERP and web-based purchasing architecture
- Structure highly effective contracts in concert with global Company’s supply management teams
- Works proactively with global purchasing partners to develop strategies and solutions that will not only benefit the local organization but any or all of company operations
- Analyze supply market conditions, assisting immediate and senior management teams in developing organizational, and market strategies for growth
- Is skilled in change management methodologies
- Prepares purchase orders and bid requests using eProcurement tools
- Effectively partner with various departments across the organization to assess spend and develop/implement sourcing strategy
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Business, or related field from an accredited university a plus.
- Master’s degree a plus
- 5+ year’s professional experience in supply management a plus
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts for complex analysis
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Oracle, Word Processing software, spreadsheet software procurement, logistics, inventory software, internet software, order processing systems, project management software, manufacturing software, database software, and Contact Management systems
- Knowledge of Oracle purchasing modules is preferred
Certificates and licenses:
- Certified Purchasing and Supply Chain Manager (SPSM) is preferred
About this role:
ABC Company is seeking a Talent Sourcing Specialist to join the recruiting team that supports the Corporate and Investment Banking and Commercial Bank divisions.
- Participate in identifying and developing a pipeline of prospective candidates for employment, usually from a specific demographic or industry segment
- Identify opportunities for process improvements within Talent Sourcing functional area
- Review and analyze operational assignments or challenges that require research, evaluation, and selection of alternative solutions
- Exercise independent judgement to guide medium risk deliverables
- Cultivate relationships with external, often passive, talent, using a variety of techniques to identify and contact candidates
- Execute recruiting strategies and external partnership programs designed to raise awareness of Wells Fargo’s brand and support recruiting efforts
- Track candidate activity to anticipate recruitment opportunities
- Partner with Recruiters and networks to improve employee referrals, sourcing, and diverse representation in hiring
- Represent the company at national, regional, or local networking and recruiting events, and organize career fairs or conferences
- Present recommendations for resolving more complex situations and exercise independent judgment while developing expertise in the function, policies, procedures, and compliance requirements
- Collaborate and consult with Talent Sourcing colleagues, internal partners, and stakeholders, including internal and external customers within Talent Sourcing functional area
- 2+ years of Talent Sourcing, Recruitment, or Human Resources experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Demonstrated experience with the successful execution of direct sourcing methodologies and tools (i.e. internet sourcing, networking, cold calling, research, etc.)
- Ability to prequalify and present initial opportunity and value proposition to identified candidates
- Applicant tracking system and/or candidate relationship management (CRM) system experience
- Knowledge and understanding of HR policies, practices and procedures, including an understanding of legal and OFCCP recruiting requirements
- Maintain in-depth and up-to-date business intelligence of relevant competitors, market conditions, hiring trends, and other relevant market data
- Ability to deliver a positive and engaging candidate experience for internal and external candidates throughout the hiring and onboarding process
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) skills
We’re growing quickly, and we’re looking for a Sourcing Specialist to join our awesome Talent Acquisition team! Reporting to the Recruiting Manager, you would use your candidate sourcing and engagement skills to build pipelines of exceptional talent that will help us take our company to the next level. You would be an ambassador for ABC Company, advocating for our employer brand and driving brand awareness in the market. This is an excellent opportunity to join a tight-knit team that encourages creativity and supports one another.
- Brainstorm with the Recruitment team in leveraging best practices across research techniques, Boolean searches, tools, networking, and other sourcing methods
- Develop talent pipelines for future hiring needs
- Orchestrating candidate campaigns, outreach, engagement, and cultivation as well as conducting phone screens as needed.
- Develop and execute creative sourcing strategies
- Facilitate/coordinate interviews for an identified region
- Daily coordination with Recruiting team regarding job postings and candidate updates
- Working closely with the Hiring Managers to fill requisitions in a timely manner
- Manages applicant tracking system (ATS) to track candidates and provide regular recruiting-related reports and ensure system is properly maintained
- Manage, coordinate, and facilitate pre-employment and onboarding processes
- Provide administrative and compliance support to Recruitment team
Required education and experience
- Minimum of 2 years of talent acquisition experience, either as a Full-Cycle Recruiter or Sourcing Specialist
- In-House/Corporate recruitment/sourcing experience strongly preferred
- Familiarity working with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). We currently use Jobvite
- Proficiency in basic/advanced sourcing techniques (LinkedIn Recruiter, Boolean strings, Chrome Extensions, etc.)
- Experience managing multiple searches simultaneously, prioritizing the most urgent/impactful
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Technical Skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google mail, and PC.
Communication Skills: Fluent English, both verbal and written. Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, faxes, and filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe your approach to locating and identifying candidates.
- Which resources and tools have you used?
- Describe your process for sourcing through social media.
- Which job boards have you used?
- Which job boards do you prefer and why?
- How do you leverage professional networks when sourcing?
- How would you determine the ideal candidate for any given position?
- What’s important to consider when qualifying a candidate?
- What’s your approach to sourcing for a position that is new or unfamiliar?
- How do you determine whether you are successfully on track with a search?
- What steps do you take when realizing you aren’t on track for success with a search?
- If a candidate is not responsive to your outreach, what would be your reaction, and what measures would you take?
- If confronted by a confrontational candidate, what would you do in this situation?
- Which social media platforms would you use to locate potential candidates?
- What’s your approach to managing multiple positions at once?
- How many positions have you sourced for at one time?
- Which verticals, skill sets, and industries have you sourced for?
- What’s your most successful sourcing accomplishment?
- How do you determine the quality of any candidate which you recommend for hire?
- How often do you research the latest sourcing techniques, and how do you do this?