What Does a Construction Scheduler Do?
The construction scheduler is responsible for developing and managing a project schedule. The process includes defining project tasks, estimating the resources needed, and creating a timeline. Schedulers track project progress, identify potential delays, and work with stakeholders to ensure that projects remain within scope.
A construction scheduler’s ultimate goal is to ensure that the project is completed on time, within budget, and meets quality and safety standards.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Construction scheduler salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Construction Scheduler is:
Construction Scheduler Job Descriptions
We are currently seeking Construction Project Scheduler with 7-10 years of experience to work at our ABC Company office in Nanuet NY.
Planning, coordinating, and developing schedules for large-scale civil infrastructure construction projects across rail and public transit, highways, airports, and bridges. Ability to work at the project level alone or as part of a team to support the construction team and the project manager, with recurring schedule updates, special incidental work such as Time-Impact Analyses, resource loading, and Schedule generated payments.
- Project scheduling using Primavera P6 software in developing design and construction schedules for medium and large infrastructure projects (>$200 million)
- Development of resource and cost loaded baseline schedules
- Analysis of project documents to identify potential project impacts
- Manage multi-disciplinary construction project schedules including design, engineering, construction, and integration of major sub-contractor’s schedule
- Analysis of proposal documents to generate activities, logic, and production rate at a level of detail adequate for the schedule
- Prepare Monthly Pay Estimate. Support cost reporting
- Prepare and present Time-Impact Analyses
- Prepare and present schedule narratives
Experience and education required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. PE preferred
- 7-10 years scheduling experience for civil construction projects valued between $200M – $1B
- Experience using Oracle Primavera (P6), working on Loadspring; virtual desktop
- Experience with cost/resource loaded scheduling
- Experience working with state, city and other government agencies in the NY metropolitan area
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence all stakeholders including colleagues, internal executives, and client representatives
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills. Strong written, verbal communication, and collaboration
ABC Company is seeking a highly motivated scheduler to support the business goals and objectives of both ABC and our clients. As a scheduler you will work closely with our construction and engineering operations to develop the overall schedule of project completion. You will be responsible for building and updating schedules at various milestones, as project deliverables are completed, and as scopes of work are added to a project, and to provide updates to key team members on the progress of project completion. At a minimum, this person will:
- Work closely with preconstruction manager, project managers, engineers, superintendents, contractors, and other project services staff to provide detailed planning and scheduling of projects from conceptual planning through engineering and construction
- Develop resource and cost loaded schedules, including lists of activities, major milestones, critical approvals, long lead procurement items and other critical project deliverables to be scheduled and tracked for the projects
- Develop schedule logic and constraints, realistic activity durations, and available resources
- Assess the impact of design changes and schedule slippages. Inform company management and clients of all schedule updates
- Apply knowledge of engineering, procurement, construction terminology, and concepts to develop and maintain critical path logic networks
- Accumulate and access historical data for use in maintaining realistic future planning and forecasting
- Provide guidance, direction, and specialized assistance for the resolution of difficult project control problems
- May interface with clients, attend regular meetings, and give statistical reports
- Travel to projects sites and other ABC offices as needed to participate in project meetings, develop schedules of project completion, and update schedules to identify work completed at the project sites
- 7+ years of experience on large commercial or industrial construction projects
- 2+ years of direct scheduling experience required in critical path management with a demonstrated history of successful schedule compression and mitigation efforts
- Excellent written and verbal communication presentation skills are a must
- Advanced knowledge of construction engineering technology, codes and standards, and an in-depth understanding of the interdependence and relationship between other functional units
- Working knowledge of standard cost control methods utilized in execution of various types of projects (EPC, Construction Management, Design Build, Time and Material, and Maintenance)
Additional job description:
- Prepares and maintains project plans, staffing requirements, and budgets
- Performs administrative tasks such as preparing progress reports and arranging meetings
- Communicates with clients, and tracks project progress
- Other duties as assigned
Highly desired is a BS Degree in Civil Engineering or Co
Do you want to make a difference? Do you want to grow your career at one of the industry’s leading construction firms? Put your expertise and scheduling skills to work at ABC Company. ABC Company is currently seeking a Construction Scheduler for projects. We set the standard for commercial construction and we are looking for talented construction professionals to join us. ABC is 100% employee-owned, so every one of our employee-owners has a stake in our success. As a result, we consistently meet and exceed our customer’s expectations with our commitment to safety, service, and integrity. Join us today. We Own It!
The Scheduler prepares summary level and detailed schedules for proposed or current construction projects. Schedules will be prepared using a bar chart or CPM format as required by the project team or owner. Schedules will be prepared using Primavera P6 Project Planner or Primavera SureTrak scheduling software.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Prepares summary level schedules for proposed projects. These are used to determine overall project duration, general conditions, and hoisting needs and are to be inserted into the proposal that will be submitted to the client
- Prepares detailed schedules for projects. This is done as early on in the project as possible
- The Scheduler assumes overall responsibility for the project schedules
- The Scheduler assists in schedule needs relative to ‘contract’ schedule vs. accelerated schedule as required by the project team. Provide schedules that will need to be issued with contracts or bid documents to subcontractors and suppliers. Cost/resource loading of schedules (and reporting) when required
- The Scheduler works with subcontractors and suppliers to establish timely deliveries of equipment and materials
- Performs Progress / Schedule Updates: Visit and walk projects to gather and update information. Interface with the Superintendent and project team with regard to schedule actuals and projections
- The Scheduler provides as-built schedule information for use in the project completion reports
- He or she updates the current workload schedule quarterly
- The Scheduler provides scheduling training to personnel as required
- A Bachelor’s of Science degree in construction management or related degree is preferred
- Must have 3+ years experience in commercial construction scheduling
- Construction field experience is a major plus i.e. Superintendent, Field Engineer
- Strong knowledge of construction systems and trade sequencing
- Presentation skills required in meetings and in training
- Must be able to read blueprints
- Primavera (Oracle) P6, P7 or P8 experience
- Must be able to assist the project team in planning workflow and phasing as required
How to Hire a Construction Scheduler
Consider the following when hiring a construction scheduler:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring a construction foreman, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a construction foreman opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience with construction scheduling software?
- What is your understanding of the construction project life cycle?
- Would you be able to give an example of how you scheduled a complex construction project?
- When a project schedule changes or delays, what do you do?
- How do you communicate with project stakeholders to ensure that the schedule is being followed?
- What is your experience with critical path method (CPM) scheduling?
- What do you do to stay on top of construction scheduling trends and technological advances?
- How do you handle conflicts between different departments or contractors in terms of scheduling?
- Can you describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision that impacted the project schedule?
- What steps do you take to ensure that project schedules adhere to relevant regulations and standards?