What is a Media/Advertising Sales Representative?
Companies need to advertise to reach potential customers, so they buy advertising space on radio, television, billboards, and in print publications. Media/advertising sales representatives work with these clients to place advertisements where they can reach their target audiences. Selling advertising involves cold-calling, networking, and deep knowledge of the demographic information about the media outlet’s audience.
A media/advertising sales representative must be skilled at compiling audience data and research and presenting it to clients. Also, it’s essential to possess skills like relationship-building and verbal and written communication. Media/advertising sales representatives must be able to develop and maintain a network of clients as well as find and develop new prospects.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
Average Salary and Compensation
Media/advertising sales salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Media/Advertising Sales Representative is:
How to Hire a Media/Advertising Sales Representative
There are a number of initial considerations when hiring a media/advertising sales representative:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to successfully source and recruit for this role?
- Complexity: Does your project require a senior professional, or is a mid- or junior-level inspector sufficient?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or a permanent requirement?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effort effectively?
- Urgency: How time-sensitive is this need? What happens if it remains unfilled?
- Headcount: Do you have room on your team for a new W2 employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. We recommend the following options when hiring a mechanical engineer:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a mechanical engineer opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
If you have a winning attitude and are highly motivated, ABC Company has an exciting sales position selling integrated, multi-media advertising plans. This position is responsible for generating revenue through the sale of all our print and digital advertising products.
The successful candidate will enhance relationships with current accounts and target potential advertisers to acquire new accounts. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected to develop advertising programs that address client needs and grow revenue. Well-developed organization and planning skills will ensure your success in servicing the account including managing the order, complying with Company deadlines for ad copy, handling the credit and billing processes, and preparing layout and artwork specifications for advertisements. This is a collaborative team based position that requires a solid knowledge of competing media, marketing, and industry practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or communications or commensurate work experience
- 1 year of media experience, preferably digital marketing is required
- Prior experience with digital and print advertising sales experience preferred
- An understanding and passion for digital marketing including paid search, paid social, streaming radio, CTV, email marketing, and YELP
- Experience in consultative selling process, including pre-call discovery and setting appointments, completing a comprehensive needs analysis with potential clients, creating proposals, and presenting and closing business
- Ability to use a CRM to track sales activity and revenue
- The ability to use research materials and data to create marketing solution proposals using PowerPoint
- The ability to assist clients with advertising copy and coordinating the production and scheduling of advertising in collaboration with other departments
Skills, experience, and attributes:
- You must think and act like a sales hunter. Aggressive sales activity is expected
- Strong client and agency contacts; well networked
- Strong desire to bring positive energy and strong sales activity to the team
- Keen ability to identify and present big picture concepts, yet pay attention to detail
- Flawless written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and balance the needs of multiple departments within the company
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of products, CRM, and other internal systems
- Outstanding customer service skills required
- Desire to be proficient in ABC Company products and services across digital, print, and event categories
- Reliable car transportation and valid driver’s license required
This Account Executive, Business Development position sells XYZ advertising and marketing services and ABC Company events and services to a pre-determined base of supplier clients. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising in our ESP and ESP Websites programs, e-newsletters, email marketing service, ad placements on our various websites, research tools and other media, and exhibit space, suites, and sponsorships at ABC Company events.
Position responsibilities include:
- Driving sales while meeting and exceeding all daily, weekly, monthly, and annual sales goals
- Aggressively and regularly informing clients of XYZ and ABC Company products and services
- Developing prospects through active communication to all assigned accounts
- Collaborating with Account Manager to sell all ABC Company events and sponsorships
- Communicating sales confirmations to customers and maintaining detailed records of each customer call
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience
- 2-3 years business to business phone sales experience required
- Strong communication skills and proven ability to articulate the value of advertising products to business decision makers
- MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and basic knowledge of Internet
- Experience with sales databases, Sales Force is a plus
- Open to travel requirement of 25%.
- Ability to “hunt” – search for and develop new broadcast and digital business and grow existing digital and traditional radio business
- Generate new business through persistent focus on new client development and strategic sourcing
- Prospect and identify marketing revenue opportunities, create broadcast and digital sales packages, present to clients, and close the sale
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key decision-makers
- Create holistic digital marketing solutions with the ability to manipulate and calculate pricing structures utilizing CPM (cost per thousand) and CPC (cost per click)
- Create fully integrated marketing campaigns to deliver strong ROI for clients utilizing both traditional radio and digital extension
- Meet and exceed individual quarterly and annual budgets
- Fully participate in CRM (Client Relationship Management) system
- Participate in training to enhance professional skills and overall understanding of new and evolving media
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Ability to successfully execute the sales process whether working remotely or onsite
- Demonstrated success in outside advertising sales (three years experience preferred)
- Ability to organize, analyze, and interpret statistical data to draw conclusions from findings
- Self-starter and a Team player
- Capable and willing to resolve issues as they surface
- High level of proficiency with computers, software, and new technologies
- Advertising enthusiast, from ad copy to social posts, you embrace it all
- Enthusiastic, positive and creative perspective with new business development
- A commitment to personal growth through continual training
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- A high level of proficiency with computers, software, and new technologies
- Receive, process, and maintain information through oral and/or written communication effectively
- Substantial physical movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction with good eye and hand coordination
- Lift, move, and carry up to 50 pounds on occasion
Sample Interview Questions
- What is a key to success when communicating with the public?
- How do you maintain accounts while regularly gaining new ones?
- What are your strategies for ensuring sales quotas are met?
- How can you tell when someone wants to purchase advertising space?
- Tell me about a time you closed a difficult sale and how you handled it.
- How would you close a sale with a client who has expressed they wish to use a competitor’s advertising services?
- How do you handle rejections?
- What do you look for when researching a competitor’s services and pricing?
- When compiling information from multiple sources, how do you decide what information is relevant?
- What do you love the most about working in sales?