What Does a LMS Specialist Do?
A LMS Specialist is a professional who designs, implements, and manages a company’s or organization’s learning management system. LMS Specialists play a variety of roles, depending on the needs and industry of their companies or organizations, but some typical duties include managing and customizing the LMS platform, creating and uploading course content, creating and delivering training programs, tracking the progress and performance of learners, and providing users with technical assistance and training.
It is possible for LMS Specialists to work in a variety of industries, including education, healthcare, and corporate training. They should have a solid understanding of instructional design, e-learning technologies, and learning management systems, as well as excellent communication and project management skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
LMS specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a LMS Specialist is:
LMS Specialist Job Descriptions
- Administers or implements training-related applications including the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Ensures quality of training data reported to customers
- 45% Supports training department by processing information in LMS including creating classes, completing employee information, entering test scores, registering associates, researching databases for information, pulling and reviewing work instructions, and researching and resolving system-related problems
- Creates, maintains, and updates management structures
- Inputs data and performs quality control of data input by other training staff
- Validates and implements system upgrades 25% Prepares customized and regular reports
- Validates report data
- Performs data analysis
- Recognizes trends and provides feedback to training management
- Create and validate reports for audit requests (CMS, URAC, BCA, etc.) as needed
- 20% Interacts with technical vendors, help desk, I/S, and customers
- Provides guidance and recommendations for decisions and/or problem resolution related to LMS
- Coordinates with network/server administrator to facilitate database file maintenance and problem resolution
- 10% Delivers database training to appropriate audiences
- Writes desk procedures and quality work instructions
Required skills and abilities
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- High-level accuracy using a personal computer
- Internet-based technology skills
- Basic business math proficiency
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle confidential or sensitive information with discretion
- Required Software and Tools: Microsoft Office
Preferred skills and abilities
- Any skill level using SQL/HTML
- Statistical analysis experience
- Database use experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn additional software programs
- Ability to navigate the internet for research purposes
- Ability to learn/master specialized reporting/database software
- Work Environment: typical office environment
- Some travel may be required
- Bachelor’s Degree or 2-year degree plus 4 years of job-related experience OR 6 years of job-related experience
- Required Work Experience: 2 years of job-related experience
The LMS specialist works in the XYZ Division as part of the Professional Development and Training Team supporting government contracts delivering quality-of-life programming to service members and their families. The ideal candidate will provide help-desk support, troubleshoot learner issues, create and maintain Moodle LMS events and user accounts, report on LMS activities, create and maintain Adobe Connect classrooms, and support webinar trainers as a session producer This position requires strong customer service skills, meticulous attention to detail, ability to conduct system quality control (QC), ability to prioritize and work with little supervision, and meet all deadlines. This is a telework position with non-traditional hours.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Staff and support the LMS Helpdesk to assist learners worldwide with LMS and Adobe Connect access and functionality issues
- Provide technical support for trainers during live, online learning events with audiences of up to 500 learners on the Adobe Connect Platform.
- Populate and manage course pages and activities in the Moodle-based LMS.
- Weekly maintenance activities including creation and management of user accounts, archiving past events, calendar maintenance, and resource updates.
- Create, manage and control the quality of Adobe Connect classrooms.
- Create and distribute contract-required reports using Excel and ensure compliance with all quality control procedures to ensure high-quality products and deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned
Required education and/or experience qualifications
- ABC Company is a COVID-19 vaccination-required company and requires all employees to be vaccinated or seek an approved accommodation for a protected reason (medical or religious).
- AA/AS degree and two years of relevant work experience providing customer service and support in a technical environment.
- Required high-speed internet access in a home office setting.
- Exceptional computer skills including proficiency in Word and Excel. Expertise in data management/data manipulation utilizing advanced features in Excel.
- Skill in handling multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines.
- Experience and capability in conducting Quality Control activities in a technical setting.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Experience with web-based instruction and online learning platforms (Moodle, Adobe Connect, Go-To Meeting, and Blackboard).
- Strong analytical and technical skills with exceptional attention to detail and organization.
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills. Shares expertise with others.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Supports the Competence Development organization by effectively coordinating the tactical execution of training-related communication and print projects from concept to delivery. This includes the establishment of the brand, and design direction, development requirements, tasks management, timelines, production, and final delivery of materials
- Supports the Competence Development organization by effectively coordinating and executing communications for competitions, tradeshows, dealer, and customer meetings (ex. event microsites, brochures, announcements, etc.)
- Serve as the primary manager and publisher for training related direct email communications
- Review, edit, and ensure accuracy and post-training, as well as dealer development bulletins on the Trucks Dealer Portal
- Prepare content, ensure accuracy and distribute training news through various brand communications channels (ex. Growler, and Up-To-Speed)
- Responsible for sourcing, preparing, ensuring quality, and/or updating content for training-related brochures, flyers, and catalogs
- Support the overall dealer development organization with specific communication requests, and the development of presentations
- Champion the Mack and Volvo brand identity across all developed materials
- Serve as a subject matter expert and advisor on LMS functionality and processes, as well as providing LMS support for the Learning Program Managers, Training Managers, Learning Program Design Managers, Brand and Content Manager, and Group Trucks North America’s (GTNA) Field teams and dealership personnel
- Acts in a Customer Support role by answering key questions of learners, field personnel, corporate staff, and department teammates over online chat, email via the Functional Help Email Box, and telephone communication
- Responsible for managing data feeds between the LMS and other information systems, as well as providing technical support, troubleshooting, and testing activities, when necessary
- Shares responsibility for testing learning objects functionality in the LMS
- Provide support to the LMS Support team as needed
- Conduct other duties as assigned
- Customer Focus
- Communicates effectively
- Attention to detail
- Project Management
- Can build networks
- Tech Savvy
- Action Oriented
- Peer Relationship
- Learning on the Fly
- Can stand alone
- Works with integrity and trust
Who are you?
- You have a BA/BS degree in marketing, graphic design, or communications. Experience may be considered
- You are proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, and Illustrator
- Experience in graphic design and copywriting and editing
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Familiarity with Eloqua or equivalent marketing automation software preferred
- Experience in a training environment and familiarity with learning management systems
- 3-5 years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with Cornerstone on Demand LMS
- Excellent project management and cross-functional communications skills are critical
How to Hire a LMS Specialist
Here are things to consider when hiring a LMS specialist:
- Recruiting: Can you source and recruit for this role successfully using your internal resources and tools?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: How time-sensitive is this need? What happens if it remains unfilled?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. We recommend the following options when hiring a LMS specialist:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a LMS specialist opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What types of LMS platforms have you worked with in the past, and how did you get involved with them?
- What steps do you take to make sure that your training and development programs are aligned with your business goals and objectives?
- How do you evaluate training programs and learner performance, and how do you use the data to improve them in the future?
- What is the process by which you collaborate with subject matter experts and trainers to develop and deliver training programs through the LMS platform?
- What resources do you use to maintain your skills as instructional design, e-learning technologies, and learning management systems change?
- What are the best techniques for designing and developing engaging, effective e-learning content for an LMS?
- How do you ensure the reliability and performance of your LMS platform, and how do you customize it to meet the needs of your organization and users?
- How did you approach a particularly difficult project as an LMS specialist?
- How do you cultivate the skills you need for success as an LMS specialist?