What Does a Community Manager Do?
A community manager is responsible for building and maintaining a positive online presence for a company or organization. This includes engaging with customers and members on social media, moderating forums, managing online content, and organizing community events. A community manager’s job is to foster community and loyalty among followers, and to represent the brand professionally and positively.
It is the responsibility of community managers to create, curate and share content that is relevant and engaging to the target audience, to build and maintain relationships with customers and community members, and to monitor and respond to customer feedback and inquiries. They may also manage online communities and forums, lead social media campaigns, and oversee customer support.
Further, a community manager ensures that the brand’s values, messaging, and tone are consistently communicated to its customers.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Community manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Community Manager is:
Community Manager Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a community manager, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
Do you love TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook? Are you witty, enjoy speaking with customers, and have excellent grammar? [Your company name] is looking for a dedicated community manager who is committed to maintaining our brand image. Responsibilities include participating in social events, corporate events, and workshops, heading up community initiatives and programs, and providing community feedback. You’ll be in constant contact with customers, influencers, and other brand ambassadors. If you are familiar with social media platforms, are a good listener, and enjoy working in a professional setting that is fun and always-changing, this is the perfect job for you.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Developing relatable posts for blogs, social media, newsletters, or promotional videos
- Monitoring social media campaigns
- Ensure accurate brand presentation
- Working with journalists and PR agencies
- Finding and sourcing influencers to represent the brand
- Speaking with customers on social media platforms
- Providing community feedback
- Creating beneficial content marketing plans
- Participate in social and corporate events
Education and experience
- B.S. degree in marketing, communications, skillset or relevant field
- Experience with marketing, sales, or social media
- Familiar with marketing strategies, sales techniques, and social media management
- Knowledge of media production and communication
Required skills and qualifications
- Ability to engage consumers
- Strong communication skills
- Funny, witty, and relatable in social media comments
- Creative and always up with the new trends
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Skilled market researcher
- Intense interpersonal skills
- Analytical abilities and in-depth knowledge of social media insights
- Expert level with community management navigation tools
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms and online networking
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A resume of successful online marketing campaigns is a plus
- Excellent time management abilities
- Dedicated commitment to fruitful customer service opportunities
ABC Company is seeking an experienced Social Media Community Manager to join our Social Team! This person will be the eyes, ears and voice of Artisan Council’s clients on social media, cultivating active and engaged digital communities, while also representing the voice of each different brand.
This role is highly collaborative and will report directly to the Sr. Social Media Manager. Our ideal candidate is beauty, pop culture, and community-obsessed with a team player attitude, a strong sense of creativity, excellent communication and writing skills, and is a multitasker that will hit deadlines in a fast-paced environment. This position is based in our New York City office.
- You will monitor and interact across all social media channels in an authentic manner true to each brand and channel (predominantly TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- You will publish daily content on social media channels and monitor performance
- You will identify social trends and pertinent conversations
- You will cultivate relationships and conversations with potential brand ambassadors and influencers as well as community members and giveaway winners
- You will identify opportunities to surprise, delight, and show our community members how much we appreciate them
- You will monitor social media channels outside of standard work hours
- You will maintain standardization for engagement responses and guidelines for frequently asked questions and new product launches
- You will lead community based content-generation programs and initiatives, on an ongoing basis but also particularly around key moments such as product launches or cultural moments
- You will source UGC and community stories for content (including monitoring, downloading and editing)
- You will undertake performance reporting, analysis and provide recommendations to your team to help advise their strategies
Essential skills and experience
- 2+ years proven experience in managing communities
- Deep knowledge of pop culture and cultural trends – you know the latest meme, tiktok sounds and trends before most people do!
- You know every up and coming creator in the beauty space
- You live in the comments section on tiktok, and know how to drive conversation and engagement when moderating the community on and off
- Passion for beauty, skincare, popular brands and other relevant communities is imperative
- In-depth knowledge of the relevant and upcoming social media channels + platforms, and how each platform can be leveraged in different scenarios
- Knowledge of the ins and outs of all social media channels, uses them effectively for work and personal
- Strong knowledge of Gen-Z+Millennial culture and the individuals at the forefront of it
- Social media enthusiast, champion of influencer and internet culture
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Excel / Google Sheets
- A self-starter who is motivated, proactive and outgoing
- Ability to work both independently, but also as a team-player
- Ability to write and edit communications and articulate the brand ‘voice’ in a creative, compelling, and witty manner
- Ability to jump from the community side of marketing to the analytical side
- Ability to adapt and adjust planned work through analyzing work demands, competing priorities, and tight deadlines; and to understand the most effective and efficient means to accomplish tasks within the parameters of the organizational structure, processes, systems, and policies
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and a knack for problem solving
- Finger on the pulse of culture
- Experience in a target oriented environment
- Ideally previous experience in a customer-facing or customer service role
The Community Manager will be the individual responsible for communicating and developing an intimate relationship with our community. By developing a significant understanding of our products, a successful Community Manager will educate and excite both existing and new community members through clear and thoughtful dialogue.
This position requires close collaboration with the production and marketing teams, worldwide. Equally important, the Community Manager will be a conduit for our community and work with the product team to help understand user response to events and updates as well as to conceptualize future events, products, and features.
- Build, grow, and manage the community primarily on Discord.
- Engage daily with community members on both Discord and Twitter to understand community sentiment and collect feedback to share with the wider team
- Manage and scale and train a team of moderators as the community grows
- Coordinate with the product and marketing teams, to establish a regular cadence of announcements, promotions, and giveaways
- Set goals for, track and report on community-related metrics ensuring upwards visibility as well as helping inform on metrics’ significance
- Schedule, manage, and promote Twitter Spaces and other live events on Discord
- Develop relationships with community managers from other communities
- 1+ year of established online community management experience preferably in an environment managing a consumer focused Discord community
- Experience with advanced Discord management features including: bots, token gating, live event management, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- An independent, responsible and highly organized way of working, a creative way to engage and solve challenges
- Confidence in dealing with a heated atmosphere and challenging situations based on your excellent team player qualities. Not taking user complaints personally
- Technical knowledge of online community platforms, systems and software
- Have a strong secondary skill set (like creating user flows, using prototyping tools, art or programming)
- A desire to always be learning and improving yourself
We are searching for a Community Manager who will be responsible for the execution of strategic social media engagement, content delivery and outreach. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a proven ability to immerse themselves in the brands they support via; engaging, synthesizing, leading, motivating, and positively influencing their online communities.
- Manage branded social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) on client’s behalf
- Monitor conversations across social media and address important mentions in real-time through engagement, escalation, or documentation
- Respond to complaints, requests, and mentions of advocacy in owned and earned social media in real-time
- Posting to social channels: maintain a consistent voice across channels aligned with branding and target audience
- Discover trending topics, community needs, and interests of client’s audience across social media, adjusting content and messaging accordingly
- Generate insight into community performance and provide recommendations for improvement
- Create social media reports and aggregate data into actionable insights to inform marketing
- Attend all status meetings and client meetings/calls
- 1+ years of professional level social media experience
- Related experience or education in the field of marketing, communications, advertising or consulting
- 4 year BA/BS degree in related field required
- Experience in social media and online engagement tools, preferably Sprinklr
- A driving passion for social media, building community, interacting with various audiences
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time and self-management skills
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work under pressure on multiple projects
- Advanced computer literacy in a Microsoft Office environment
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Facebook Certified Community Manager. Candidates knowing their social media platforms is extremely important. They should be experienced with Facebook and how to establish communities, make strategic content decisions, engage and moderate the community, and measure and analyze community success. Candidates can take a 30-minute practice exam, but the real exam is 105 minutes long. They will not need to renew this certification.
- Community Management Specialist. This certification is everything candidates need to master community management. With seven separate modules and six hours, they’ll become a master at community management. The modules cover everything from how to segment communities on social media platforms, how to grow a community, how to build better content, how to track using community management metrics, and moderation with customers. They’ll need to enroll in the course and pay $495, take seven quizzes, and one final exam.
Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you think you are a great fit for this position?
- What is your ideal work environment?
- What is your process for dealing with concerns or complaints on social media?
- We want to present differently on TikTok and Instagram/Facebook. How would you go about that?
- What experience do you have leading conversations on social media platforms?
- Have you ever managed a corporate social media page?
- How would you respond if someone left a rude comment on one of our corporate social media pages?
- What is your response when a customer complains on a corporate social media page?
- What methods would you use to go about communicating our brand to consumers?
- What are your preferred social media management tools?
- Which social media accounts do you have? Which of these is your favorite and why?
- How do you interact with competitors on social media?
- If allowed to represent our company, which social media platforms would you focus your time and attention on?
- What do you know about our company’s online presence?
- What part of this role do you anticipate being the most challenging?
- What do you feel are the best practices for measuring and managing the success of a developing community?
- What steps do you take to ensure high web traffic to your community?
- In your previous role, how did you use social media platforms to promote a brand?
- What strategies do you use to ensure a strong community base over time?
- What made you choose the career of a community manager?
- Have you noticed that ATT on Facebook has impacted your insights? How are you working around ATT?
- Do you have previous experience leading online forum discussions?
- In your opinion, why is it important for a business to have community managers?
- Which software programs are you familiar with?
- What has been your biggest accomplishment as a community manager and why?