What Does a Logistics Manager Do?
Logistics managers are high-level operators that ensure the efficient and effective storage and distribution of goods. These managers ensure customer fulfillment and streamline transportation, storage, and distribution of products in a network.
Logistics managers will typically organize shipments, plan routes, maintain stock and cost levels, and negotiate pricing contracts. Additionally, they may be expected to work directly with staff to reduce waste and inefficiency and ensure warehouses are adhering to health and safety codes.
These professionals must have great interpersonal skills while maintaining an analytical, solution-oriented mindset. Creative problem solvers and those that excel in data analysis positions are an excellent fit for the role. While a candidate with any educational background can succeed in this position, moving up in this career will generally require higher levels of education and certifications.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Logistics manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Logistics Manager is:
Logistics Manager Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional logistics manager. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
The logistics manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization’s logistics operations. This includes ensuring that goods are efficiently and cost-effectively transported to and from suppliers and customers, as well as maintaining inventory levels and tracking shipping costs. The logistics manager also develops and oversees procedures for receiving, storing, and shipping goods. In addition, this position will oversee warehouse staff and ensure that all operations are conducted according to company standards. The ideal candidate for this job should have a degree in supply chain management or a related field and 10+ years of experience managing and developing procedures for an organization’s logistics department. The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, as well as excellent communication skills, are also essential to success in this role.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Manage and maintain accurate inventory in warehouses
- Nurture relationships with clients and product suppliers
- Negotiate shipping rates and arrangements with product carriers
- Create and maintain schedules for inbound and outbound shipments
- Direct the flow of an organization’s materials and products
- Manage and mentor team members
- Collaborate with other departments to implement logistical improvements
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics, or another related field.
Required skills and qualifications
- Organizational and communication skills
- Aptitude for counting and inventory management
- Managerial and business management skills
- Excellent adaptability and leadership skills
- Ability to build trustworthy relationships with customers at all levels
- Experience in business process review and analysis, managing departmental and project budgets
- Experience in leading a group of team members with effective leadership
- 10+ years of managing a team
- Chooses the appropriate and most efficient method of transfer based on business and customer needs
- Creates, manages, and tracks transfer orders, end to end, of materials and roasters with logistics partners via LCL, FCL, LTL, and FTL
- Ensures execution of transfers are performed prioritizing quality, time, and budget
- Communicates effectively with stakeholders at origin and destination to ensure alignment
- Confirms all info is correct, organizes, and files shipping notices and BOLs
- For material inbounds, proactively follows up with logistics partners to confirm the status of pending transfers and communicates to Procurement and Warehouse internal partners, to support a 3-way match
- For roasters, proactively follows up with logistics partners to confirm the status of pending transfers and communicates to CX internal partners
- End-to-end management of import/export process and documentation
- End-to-end management of all logistics-related claims
- Strategic sourcing of logistics vendors; evaluate, qualify, and choose vendors
- Sources primary, secondary, and tertiary logistics partners to mitigate risk and benchmark performance and costs, negotiate costs
- Builds and maintains relationships with logistics partners to ensure quality, timeliness, and cost-effective service
- Serves as the liaison between the company and logistics partners on all transfer-related activities, reconciliations, and quality management
- Create and track scorecards for logistics partners; on quality, on time, costs for common lanes, etc
- Leads recourse activities in the event of transfer nonconformance
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Operations, Business Analytics, Economics, related field, or equivalent
- 5+ years in a manufacturing/CPG environment, including a working knowledge of logistics (Incoterms, Import/Export, LCL, FCL, LTL, FTL), and systems
- Experience in computer and software applications, including knowledge of shipping software (e.g. Fed Ex, UPS), database/ERP/inventory systems (Netsuite, Salesforce, Jira), Google suite, MS Office suite, and working knowledge of landed cost calculations
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong attention to detail, multitasking, and creative problem-solving skills
- Team player with a strong ability to build and maintain relationships
- Ability to perform measurements and mathematical operations
- Bias towards action and ability to thrive in a quickly-evolving, fast-paced environment
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs
- At times, will be required to go into various areas of the facility; office, lab, and manufacturing, subject to temp and humidity changes
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods throughout the workday
Who you are
You are a confident communicator and excel at solving problems in real time. You understand how to work with many different personalities. You strive to foster a positive and inclusive work environment. You ask questions and dig deep to find the answers you are looking for. You take information and make informed decisions. You are always looking for opportunities to improve. You are looking for a challenge!
- Strategically plan and manage the East Coast Logistics team and functions, ensuring successful operations
- Work in collaboration with the Production and Warehouse teams to ensure continuous process improvement and success in all Logistics departmental functions including delivery windows and fulfillment
- Manage timesheets, reimbursements, report cards, and related data required for accurate payroll for regional delivery drivers
- Monitor that all documentation including spreadsheets and databases is up to date with accurate information
- Work in collaboration with Talent Acquisition and People Operations to facilitate recruitment processes, onboarding, and orientation for new team members with a focus on retention
- Develop and coach departmental Dispatchers and Logistics Supervisors to continuously improve team performance
- Reinforce the structure of the East Coast team by helping to identify and establish new SOPs and key metrics
- Remain in compliance with all SOPs and regulations to ensure operational success
- Identify equipment and team needs, and ensure quick communication to escalate and solve
- Develop new strategies to streamline processes and reduce cost
- Collaborate with business partners in the Operations team including Warehouse and Production departments to ensure the successful delivery of products
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty, work alongside the team, and prioritize against tight deadlines
Safety and job standards
- Maintain and adhere to COVID-19 Policy compliance
- Maintain and adhere to OSHA and Food Safety compliance
- Provide real-time feedback to all direct reports on a consistent basis
- Commit to workplace safety and ensure safe business practices for employees and customers
- Foster an inclusive and respectful work environment for employees and customers, and promptly works to resolve any issues in collaboration with People Operations
- Engage in respectful and positive communication organizational-wide
- Create a growth-oriented workplace where all staff are set up to succeed and grow individually as well as feel empowered to improve the overall operations of the company
- Promote a 100% mentality, building a team that is focused on continuous improvement in both process and outcome
- Must be willing to embrace change and provide insight regarding new processes. You will be empowered to bring new innovative concepts to life on an ongoing basis!
- Minimum 2+ years of related Logistics management experience, ideally with working knowledge of last-mile delivery operations
- Experience with and understanding of company expansion efforts from a holistic growth perspective preferred
- A tech-savvy approach and comfortability and proficiency using multiple platforms including G-Suite, Slack, Dispatch, and Routing Software
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; must be a team player and interested in continuously developing leadership skills
- A dynamic personality & maintains grace under pressure
- Basic mechanical skills to make emergency repairs and/or manage the maintenance of facilities
- Strong organizational, multitasking, and communication skills
- A deadline-driven approach while maintaining attention to detail and quality of service
- Manage the performance of salaried employees as well as hourly paid employees under their responsibility, resolve performance issues, and ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- Collaborate with senior management and customers to determine their needs and expectations and operate the account to meet those demands
- Be responsible for the payroll of employees
- Analyze weekly and monthly P&L statements to determine account profitability, and provide financial data and weekly operations reports to senior management
- Be responsible for accounts payable, vendor quotes for purchased materials, and customer invoicing
- Hold Safety & Security meetings, provide safety training, and ensure compliance with safety regulations
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must be available to work on a flexible schedule on the various work shifts
Skills and abilities
- Builds and manages effective teams
- Strong leadership and motivating skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingual, English and French (for Quebec locations only)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills within a diverse team environment
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills
- Demonstrates analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, structure, and schedule tasks to maximize effort and meet deadlines
- Must be computer literate and able to use the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel and Word required)
- Excellent knowledge of Transportation and/or Warehouse Logistics operations advanced required
- Excellent knowledge of safety and security requirements advanced required
- H.S. diploma/GED required
- Bachelor’s degree in business, logistics, or supply chain preferred
- Three (3) years or more relevant experience in the supply chain, logistics, warehouse, or industry-related field required
- Two (2) years or more managing and leading direct reports required
- Excellent knowledge of Transportation and/or Warehouse Logistics operations advanced required
- Excellent knowledge of safety and security requirements. advanced required
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- International Certificate in Logistics and Transport (CILT). This course is designed to support candidates moving into, or who are already within supervisory or team leader roles, but require training and development.
- Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP). Demonstrate knowledge of the essential technology, concepts, and strategies of supply chain management and enterprise resource planning.
How to Hire a Logistics Manager
Consider the following when hiring a logistics manager:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring a logistics manager, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend CareerBuilder when hiring a logistics manager:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What experience do you have managing a logistics department?
- How do you guarantee on-time and budget delivery of shipments?
- In the event of delays or schedule changes, what do you do?
- When was the last time you had to make a difficult logistics management decision?
- What methods do you use to ensure quality and cost-effective service from suppliers and vendors?
- How do you optimize supply chain management?
- What is the best way to measure logistics operations’ effectiveness?
- How have you managed inventory and ensured adequate stock levels?
- What are your best methods for prioritizing tasks and managing time in a fast-paced logistics environment?
- How do you keep up with logistics management trends and regulations?