What Does a Warehouse Manager Do?
Warehouse managers oversee all day-to-day operations of a facility, including budgets, inventory, logistics, storage, shipping, and receiving. They manage and supervise warehouse personnel while implementing policies and procedures to create a safe, organized, and productive work environment.
Warehouse managers are also responsible for the maintenance and repair of all equipment, and often act as the primary point of contact for vendors and outside suppliers.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Warehouse manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Warehouse Manager is:
Warehouse Manager Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great warehouse manager is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
A warehouse manager is needed for urgent hire at [Your Company Name]. As a manager, your responsibilities will largely vary. First and foremost, you must uphold your company standards in every aspect of the warehouse, attempting to achieve and help the completion of their vision. The layout of the warehouse may be upon your decision, so you will need to analyze this space in an attempt to create simpler, more efficient systems. Whether it be the company or legal standards, you must ensure that policies and procedures put in the warehouse are fulfilled. If there is a legal procedure/policy that outperforms the ones prior, you must immediately install them, as well as search for new ones. While it may be difficult working in a warehouse, you will be responsible for protecting and ensuring the health, hygiene, safety, and security of the warehouse. This not only applies to employees you oversee but the machinery as well. Inputting data for tax reasons and accounting is also an essential part of the job. Your company will most likely provide a budget, and it will be your responsibility to work within it to guarantee that deadlines and tasks are completed without overspending. To successfully fulfill this role, you must speak with and handle clients, suppliers, and/or transport companies. As the overseer of the employees, it will be your duty to assign tasks while also encouraging them. If you’re interested, apply today!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Oversee warehouse and shipping department
- Ensure accurate inventory tracking and accounting
- Manage the efficient flow of products and materials through a warehouse environment
- Recruit, train, and coach warehouse staff
- Create warehouse metrics reports as needed
- Follow all applicable safety standards
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics, or other related fields required
Required skills and qualifications
- Organizational and communication skills
- Aptitude for counting and inventory management
- Managerial and business expertise
- Excellent leadership skills
- Experience in warehouse management procedures and best practices
- Proven ability to implement process improvement initiatives
- Hands-on experience with warehouse management software and databases
- Leadership skills and ability to manage staff
- Ensure the warehouse operates at peak efficiency by supervising, organizing, directing, training warehouse employees, and establishing, monitoring, and managing operation goals
- Develop warehouse operations systems by determining product handling and storage requirements, equipment utilization, inventory management, gate processes, and shipping
- Train and manage a warehouse team of 12-15 employees to solve day-to-day operational issues and reach short and long-term performance goals
- Work to create a positive, teamwork-centered environment
- Oversee daily operations, while controlling and managing inventory and logistics
- Supervise daily activities of the warehouse, including quality assurance, inventory control, space management, logistics, floor productivity, shipping, and customer service
- Schedule and oversee warehouse team and manage the flow and quality of work to maximize efficiency
- Meet regularly with warehouse personnel to review, analyze, and develop actionable plans for productivity
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations
- Assist with other duties as deemed necessary
Qualifications and requirements:
- Available to work 8am-7:30pm Monday-Friday
- High School diploma or GED
- 5-7 years experience in warehouse lead or management role
- Experience in Industrial Distribution
- Experience in HVAC preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- ERP experience
Responsible for managing warehouse tasks in loading, unloading, order pulling, shipping, returns, forklift operation, receiving, and distribution. Responsible for supervising warehouse staff.
- Oversees tasks such as loading, unloading, sorting, picking, stocking, staging, fabrication, and transportation of goods
- Performs tasks in warehouse management software program
- Load and unload materials to and from designated storage area, such as racks, shelves, or vehicles. Stack or pile materials, such as lumber, boards, or pallets
- Ensures installation of protective devices, such as bracing, padding, or strapping, to prevent shifting or damage to items being transported
- Verify computations against physical count of stock
- Oversees condition of work area (i.e. free of trash, product in correct location, etc.)
- Follows company safety policies and procedures
- Oversees material handling process, including receiving and filling orders
- May drive truck to pick up incoming stock or deliver materials to designated locations or operate forklift or other machinery to complete tasks
- Completes warehouse operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results
- Responsible for training warehouse staff to best practices, coaching and counseling staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Proven work experience (3-5 years) as a Warehouse Manager
- Expertise in warehouse management procedures and best practices
- Leadership skills and ability to direct staff
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Warehouse management software experience a must
- SAP experience a Plus
- Must pass work eligibility requirements
Essential job duties and responsibilities:
Warehouse Manager is responsible for overseeing warehouse staff operations, equipment, and inventory.
- Controls all incoming and outcoming stored inventory
- Constant organization of warehouse to maximize space
- Receive and release equipment in the ABC Company system
- Take care of inventory reports
- Schedule all incoming loads and give appropriate appointment times
- Update shipment reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Ensure all required procedures are being followed and all documentation is completed in a manner that meets MEI standards. Examples but not limited to Pre-tasks, inspections, and daily work sheets
- Maintain the condition of the warehouse in a manner that is consistent with the company’s standards
- Drive performance and develop the warehouse team in a manner that is consistent with the Continuous Improvement process
- Interact with customers, drivers, vendors, auditors, and visitors in a manner that is consistent with ABC Company’s mission and policy statements
- Help facilitate training of employees
- Monthly reporting
Minimum qualifications (experience, skills, and education):
- HS diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License
- Minimum 2 years warehouse supervisory experience
- Industrial Machinery Equipment Operations experience
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations
Physical requirements & working conditions:
Performing General Physical Activities — Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work in a highly functioning team environment
- Display the highest levels of honesty, integrity, and professionalism
- Take pride in your work and in the company
- Communicate openly and strive for peak performance in daily tasks
- Know and deliver the quality service ABC Company’s customers have come to expect
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- OSHA Safety Certificate – Because of the field of work, this certificate will be impressive to employers, if they don’t already require it. The OSHA Safety certification shows candidates have an understanding of safety, which is a top priority while working in warehouses.
- CSS – The Certified Security Supervision and Management exam allows candidates to flaunt their proven management skills. Obtaining this certification will reassure a candidate’s boss that they are receiving the quality they are paying for. This certificate requires two years of experience, guaranteeing only the best will acquire it.
Sample Interview Questions
- Are there any previous positions you were in where leadership was required?
- Tell me about your previous experience managing a warehouse.
- What measures have you taken in the past to ensure the safety and security of the warehouse and the products stored therein?
- Tell me about a time when you had to resolve an employee problem in the warehouse.
- Which kind of inventory management and tracking systems have you used?
- You notice an OSHA violation. How do you handle it?
- If one of your employees is constantly in violation of safety regulations, how would you approach them about the issue?
- What steps have you taken in the past to improve performance and efficiency?