What Does a Mobile Application Developer Do?
Mobile application developers develop, maintain, and design mobile applications for various platforms, such as iOS and Android. Working with project managers and stakeholders, they design and develop mobile applications that meet project requirements. Their job also entails making mobile applications efficient, responsive, and easy to use. Developing these mobile applications requires knowledge of programming languages such as Swift, Java, and Kotlin.
Programming skills and experience with mobile development frameworks and tools are essential for successful mobile application developers. They have a thorough understanding of software architecture and design patterns, as well as software life cycle methodologies. As well as having strong problem-solving skills, they can also work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Mobile application developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Mobile Application Developer is:
Mobile Application Developer Job Descriptions
ABC Company is seeking a Mobile App Developer with experience as an iOS/Android mobile app developer. The ideal candidate is a candidate focused on developing and delivering a product that is centered around a great customer experience.
- Developing features for new requirements and functionality across ABC Company’s iOS/Android mobile app platforms using Kotlin and Swift
- Maintaining and growing the mobile app platform’s API library. Includes updating API’s and creating new APIs as needed
- Triaging and correcting mobile app defects
- Reviewing and translating business requirements/user stories into development requirements in coordination with Scrum Team activities/procedures
- Participating in Scrum Team design review meetings to establish designs and approaches for user stories and requirements
- Participating in Tech Review meetings with development team members to define technical approaches for established stories/designs
- Troubleshooting issues reported by users to correct application and API defects/anomalies
- Designing, developing, and testing software to meet requirements and design specifications in accordance with development standards and procedures
- Participate in code reviews and training programs
- Maintaining automated deployment/build procedures and mobile app distribution procedures
- Experience as an iOS/Android mobile app developer
- Experience developing iOS/Android applications (Swift & Kotlin experience required)
- Experience delivering a product that is centered around great customer experience
- Experience creating and maintaining API’s/web services
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with clients as well as internal teams
- Experience working with git-based source control on a development team
- Experience with offline databases (i.e., Realm)
- Flexibility to occasionally travel to ABC Company offices and/or client sites with advance notice.
The Mobile App Developer will be responsible for the development, testing, and maintenance of new and existing internal and customer-facing mobile applications that drive awareness, loyalty, and repeat purchases. They will research UI and UX trends, update new/current applications and work with colleagues to brainstorm innovative ideas for new applications. Additionally, the Mobile App Developer will provide systems support to the ecommerce development team.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing, coding, testing, and maintaining new and existing mobile applications; partner with other developers (internal and contract) when applicable
- Collaborate with Ecommerce, Marketing, and Creative departments to identify and plan for new features
- Develop application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality
- Write unit and UI tests to identify malfunctions
- Remain up to date with the terminology, concepts, and best practices for coding mobile apps
- Communicate with users to understand their needs and experiences
- Demonstrates high degree of professionalism in communication, attitude and teamwork with customers, peers and management
- Demonstrates high level of quality work, attendance and appearance
- Adheres to all Company Policies & Procedures and Safety Regulations
- Adheres to local, state, and federal laws
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by management
- Understands and complies with all company rules and regulations
- Experience with mobile app devices and technologies (iOS, Android)
- 2-4 years of experience in mobile app development writing well-structured, testable code, maintaining, and updating codebase, publishing apps to Apple and Google and keeping detailed changelogs
- Ability to provide examples of applications developed by oneself or with a team
- Mobile app frameworks/SDKs or native mobile programming
- Familiarity with OOP design principles
- Experience with Commerce Cloud and other Salesforce products
- Experience with REST APIs and JSON data
- Experience using git version control
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems
- Strong understanding of web development technologies with some experience in any of the following: C# (.NET Core or later), PHP, Amazon Web Services, MS Azure
- Experience with mobile commerce, payment gateways and security
- Experience with SOX & PCI compliance standards
- Experience with ADA compliance standards
- Decision Making
- Results Orientated
What you’ll be doing…
You will be part of a Full Stack and Mobile delivery team which is responsible for delivery of critical applications like wireless store operations and auction platforms. If you are passionate about innovative solutions and be part of a team that works on all the latest and greatest technologies to focus on best of class user experience, this is something that you are looking for.
- Design and code highly scalable and highly available applications with world class user experience for ABC Company
- Design and build iOS Swift and Andriod Kotlin mobile applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze, design, and ship new features
- Fully responsible for native mobile app development in the team
- Build and publish applications in app stores
- Implement new technologies to maximize application performance
- Participate in design discussions for end-to-end experiences and enhancements across all customer touch points and channels
- Projects will include new product/feature launches, enhancements, experience redesign, and tech stack migration using agile methodology
- Participate in day to day activities involving design, development, test support, deployment
- Work in a positive, collaborative working environment that instills respect, trust, quality. and success as its core goals
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you’ll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Four or more years of relevant work experience
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree
- Strong experience in IOS Swift and iOS SDK
- Strong knowledge on Android Kotlin
- Hands-on experience in the full life cycle of Android application development
- Good Knowledge of Android SDK’s
- Knowledge in core Java
- Experience with memory management and caching mechanisms specific to mobile devices.
- Experience working with iOS frameworks such as Core Data, Core Animation, Core Graphics, and Core Text
- Knowledge in RESTful web services
- Experience with Push Notifications and Toast
- Experience with Eclipse and ANT based build system
- Experience with Android Studio
- Experience in Gradle
- Experience with Supply chain domain
How to Hire a Mobile Application Developer
When hiring a mobile application developer, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, mobile application developers are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
Here are some popular freelance platforms that we recommend when hiring a mobile application developer:
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a mobile application developer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced mobile application developer. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a mobile application developer opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- In your work, which platforms and tools have you used to develop mobile applications?
- When developing mobile applications, how do you ensure they are user-friendly, efficient, and responsive?
- How do you develop mobile applications using Swift, Java, and Kotlin programming languages?
- What measures do you take to prevent potential security breaches in the mobile applications you develop?
- In your work, how do you apply methodologies such as Agile or Waterfall to software development?
- When developing mobile applications, how do you ensure accessibility for users with disabilities?
- How would you manage your workload when working on several mobile application development projects simultaneously?
- What was the most challenging technical problem you faced during the development of a mobile application?
- In terms of meeting project requirements and deadlines, how do you work with project managers and stakeholders?