What Does a Front End Developer Do?
Front-end developers are computer programmers who optimize web pages and mobile apps for maximum efficiency by creating designs that meet user requirements. Typical duties of a front-end developer include determining what the structure and design of a web page should be, creating a functional yet aesthetically pleasing design, and maximizing efficiency. Front-end developers must be conscious of maintaining brand consistency across all web pages. They work closely with back-end developers, graphic designers, and user experience (UX) designers to ensure the consistency of web designs. As such, a front-end developer needs to have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
A front-end web developer should be able to create seamless UX for a wide range of platforms, including mobile games, digital menus, rich video, and more. They must adhere to brand standards while observing development best practices. A solid background in search engine optimization (SEO) is also extremely helpful.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Front end developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Front End Developer is:
Front End Developer Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional front end developer. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
[Your Company Name] is in search of an experienced front end developer. This candidate will be responsible for using their knowledge of programming languages to code user-side applications including visual elements and overall layout of websites and applications. Duties include working with clients to develop the overall look and design of a website, writing website code with programming languages such as HTML, C++, and Java, producing, maintaining, and modifying websites and user interfaces, incorporating applications, graphics, audio, and videos int client websites, and creating tools that enhance the user’s website experience. The ideal candidate will be able to work well with a team, be organized, self-motivated, and a critical thinker. Knowledge of multiple programming languages is a must, and how to code for websites and applications is essential. This candidate will have one or two years of website development as a front end developer.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Plan the structure and layout of webpages
- Create UX optimized for desktop and mobile use
- Balance aesthetic and functional design choices
- Maintain brand standards through web design
- Build novel features designed to improve UX
- Use various markup languages to write websites
- Work with back-end developers to troubleshoot website code
- Create wireframes and mockups to present to art directors and clients
- Receive and implement feedback from internal and client reviews
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Candidates with extensive work experience may not require a degree, but formal training of some sort is always mandatory.
Required skills and qualifications
- Understanding of crucial web and visual design elements
- Solid knowledge of adaptive and responsive design
- Understanding of server-side CSS
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Solid communication skills
- Experience using graphic design tools, such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to thrive under tight deadlines
- Experience developing scalable and reliable software products for operational infrastructure projects
- Experience creating APIs for large datasets
- Previous work as a java developer, full-stack programming developer, front-end programming developer, software engineer, or software development engineer
- Work with a team of project managers, designers, strategists, and developers to build brand new experiences with VueJS/Nuxt
- Use client work to refine our tools and tech with each build
- Collaborate with designers early in the production process to help them understand tech capabilities
- Share learnings with our team and help mentor less experienced teammates
- Review teammate’s code and help maintain high code quality
- 2+ years of applied experience with modern SPA frameworks (React, Vue, Nuxt, etc.)
- Experience or a deep understanding of statically rendered websites, their benefits, and drawbacks
- Provide confidently clean code in with HTML, CSS & JS
- Focus on the readability & maintainability of code
- Implement cross-browser compatible features as a baseline
- Strategically choose solutions that support efficiency in rendering, loading, and painting of the page on the full spectrum of devices and networks without sacrificing accessibility or UX
- Familiarity with WCAG success criteria and generalized experience in building accessible, intuitive websites
- Balance design aesthetics with accessibility, keeping WCAG guidelines front-of-mind while seeking opportunities to push the boundaries of the web as a medium
- Comfortable with Git
- Take personal responsibility for deadlines, code quality, and tasks
- Experience collaborating with and mentoring other developers
- Communicate effectively & often
- Adept at creating and maintaining your development environment
This person will be responsible for bridging the gap between graphic design and the technical implementation of new features and functionalities. They will need to balance between the functional and aesthetic design, while ensuring the experiences are optimized for all devices.
The Front-End Developer reports to the Director of Digital Experience
- Build, validate, and maintain web page templates from supplied wireframe layouts
- Translate UI/UX wireframes to code
- Use mobile first strategy to determine code structure and functionality
- Support and implement best practices for layouts, navigation, architecture, and site speed
- Partner with back-end developers, product managers and business users
- Assist in user acceptance testing prior to code releases and launches
- Monitor site performance to identify and fix usability issues
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies supporting usability and design
- Degree in computer science or related field
- Salesforce Certification preferred
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging
- Understanding of web development process from design to development and deployment
- Ability to translate current state business into future state recommendations
- Must be able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a teamwork-oriented environment
We are looking for a self-starter that can excel in a hybrid work environment. A successful candidate will have effective communication skills, a focus on meeting client expectations and attention to detail. We are seeking an individual who has a positive attitude and who is looking to be a part of our collaborative team.
Required qualifications and skills
- Experience with responsive frameworks, cross-browser and multi-platform
- Familiarity of version control systems such as Git
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to producing quality work
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Applied understanding of web analytics
- A good eye for user interface design, typography, and user experience
- Experience creating HTML emails and managing campaigns
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, including Illustrator and Photoshop
- Comfortable developing on a Macintosh platform or willingness to learn
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Java Development Certified Professional. Java offers a certificate through Learning Tree International with the opportunity to certify candidates as working professionals in web development and consultation. An exam is required, and renewal of the certificate is not required.
- Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP). This certification is offered through the IEEE Computer Society, and prepares candidates for software development and engineering. This certificate needs to be renewed every three years and an exam is required for certification.
Sample Interview Questions
- When did you first start programming?
- What are your best practices for front-end development?
- What is your approach to building responsive and accessible web applications?
- What is the best way to optimize the performance of your web pages and ensure that they load quickly?
- Have you ever had to troubleshoot and debug a complex front-end issue?
- What do you do to make sure your code is maintainable, scalable, and easy to work with?
- What are some examples of web applications you have developed and what role did you play in each?
- Are you able to work with designers and developers to ensure a cohesive and effective user experience?
- What are your methods for incorporating user feedback and analytics data into your development process?