What is a Junior Architect/Designer?
Every building, no matter how large or small, is the result of a team of talented professionals working — often behind the scenes — to design and build it. One of these team members is the junior architect/designer.
Junior architects/designers typically work at architectural or engineering firms, using their talents to support various architectural projects. They work on many things, including helping prepare architectural plans and designs, assisting in essential presentations, and helping develop and finalize building plans.
The nature of their work is typically entirely collaborative, working as part of a team under the supervision of a senior architect or lead designer.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings and
Average Salary and Compensation
Junior architect/designer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Junior Architect/Designer is:
How to Hire a Junior Architect/Designer
Consider the following when hiring a junior architect/designer:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring a junior architect/designer, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- You intend to hire on a temporary, contract, or contract-to-hire basis and direct the work activity
- You are hiring a direct employee but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a junior architect/designer opening:
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Job Descriptions
We are committed to being a great place to work that fosters the professional growth of every individual through a relaxed, collaborative, and dynamic work environment.
Our group is an award-winning mid-sized design studio dedicated to delivering creative public transit design solutions that elevate and strengthen the communities they serve.
We are looking for a Junior Architectural Designer/Intern Architect with an interest in complex projects from start to finish. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of experience in an architectural office and be an out-of-the-box thinker with a holistic understanding of the design process and a talent for developing creative design ideas. This is a great opportunity for a passionate and creative mind to take on dynamic and challenging projects and be part of creative design initiatives on transit projects both locally and internationally.
Most of the things you’ll work on:
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team (engineering, urban design, and others) to support the design and construction of rapid transit projects in Canada and the United States
- Assist with creating and developing station designs, functional layouts, diagrams, and presentation materials based on complex programming requirements including public and service areas
- Developing construction documents
- Assisting in the construction administration phase: general review, site instructions, change orders, and interpretation of contract specifications
- Assist the Senior team members with other tasks including updating logs and checklists
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum Degree in Architecture
- Minimum 2 years of experience in an architectural firm
- Proficiency with Revit and BIM software, 3D Rendering, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office
- Well-organized with the ability to manage time and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently within a collaborative team.
- Proactive and detail-oriented
- Creative and collaborative with a passion for designing and detailing
- Analytical thinker and problem solver
- Desire to grow within a team environment
- Experience in transit station design will be considered an asset
ABC Company is looking for a Junior Architectural Designer to join our growing Architecture team. Our projects include work for city and state agencies and range from industrial pump stations for the ABC DEP to aesthetic design requirements for XYZ’s Comprehensive Modernization program. We are looking for a candidate who is excited about public, civic, and infrastructure architecture, with the flexibility to work in varied capacities from survey work in the field to design documents, 3D renderings, word processing, and data organization, in the office.
- Drafting proficiency in Revit and CAD (rendering skills a plus!)
- Ability to read and understand constructions documents
- Ability to collect and record survey information
- Proficient in Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of building codes and standards
- Located in the NY Metro or Westchester area and ability to travel to field visits in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Brooklyn
- Ability to interact well with customers and co-workers, in the field and at the office
Education and experience
- Bachelor of Architecture, Bachelor of Science in Architecture, or Master of Architecture
- Prior experience working in an architecture or A/E firm is preferred but not required
- 1-3 years
- Active participation in AXP and on the licensure track
As a Junior Architectural Designer at ABC Company, you will be responsible for collaborating with lead Designers to develop and document designs for a wide variety of high-performance K-12 public and independent schools, higher education, healthcare, cultural and performing arts, and civic and justice projects. You will coordinate and collaborate with team members in multiple disciplines to maintain project schedule and design quality through all phases of small to large and complex projects. ABC Company team members will mentor you and ensure that you receive the breadth of experience required for licensure. As a member of one of our integrated design teams, you will create architecture that elevates the human experience through design.
If you are a collaborative thought leader with a strategic mindset and want to grow with the nation’s dynamic leader in school design, this is the position for you. If you are a collaborative thought leader with a strategic mindset and want to grow with one of the nation’s leading design firms, this is the position for you. ABC Company is 100% employee-owned so you will have the opportunity for ownership in the Firm within a year of joining it. We rely on all our employee-owners to apply their financial acumen and creativity to grow the Firm profitably.
The successful candidate will
- Collaborate with other team members to identify and propose solutions to design challenges
- Provide design input, feedback, and support from master planning and concept design through construction documents
- Produce accurate documents aligned with firm standards for project assignments
- Communicate to Lead Designers and the Project Manager on the progress of assignments according to the established project schedule and work plan
- Ensure project information is incorporated into project documents clearly and appropriately
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Architecture from an accredited program
- 0 to 3 years of previous design team experience on small to large and complex public and private projects
- Basic understanding and technical knowledge of architectural drafting and design
- Proficiency in the use of computer modeling and rendering software such as Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch-Up, InDesign, Rhino, Lumion, and Enscape
- Strong commitment to sustainable design and climate action
- Commitment to pursuing professional licensure
- Eligibility to work in the United States without the need for a work visa or residency sponsorship
Sample Interview Questions
- Why are you deciding to leave your current job?
- What projects of ours do you like the most?
- What skills are important to obtain when it comes to being an architect/designer?
- What made you decide to become a junior architect/designer?
- How would you describe your style of work as a designer/architect?
- How do you keep yourself motivated?
- What do you do in order to keep up with the latest trends in this industry?
- What duties are you responsible for?
- Can you tell us how you decide which work to prioritize?
- Would you say you are an organized person?
- Have you ever had a challenging project? What was the end result?
- What would you say your best skill sets are?
- What are your multitasking skills like?
- How do you ensure that you are being compliant with the laws and regulations required to follow as an architect?
- Do you work well with others?
- Are you project management professional (PMP) certified?
- How would you say your mathematical skills are?
- Do you enjoy collaborating with other designer architects?