What Does a Facilities Manager Do?
A Facilities Manager is responsible for the security and maintenance of a building. They inspect and repair electrical and plumbing problems, as well as any structural issues. They coordinate the installation of new equipment, and manage the upkeep of all equipment and supplies, ensuring that they meet all health and safety standards. These managers consistently look for ways to optimize space and reduce operating costs. They must be good leaders, have strong organizational skills, and have an eye for detail. Facilities managers must also ensure a safe environment for all employees.
Facilities managers may also handle insurance plans, service contracts, and maintain records and budgets. A high level of knowledge in technical or engineering operations as well as facility management best practices is required for this position since they will be the point of contact for most issues.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Facilities manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Facilities Manager is:
Facilities Manager Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a facilities manager, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
[Your Company Name] is looking for a dedicated facilities manager. The purpose of this position is to manage staff and vendors for facility improvements and maintenance activities for all buildings and facilities. This is accomplished by scheduling and managing our staff, developing cleaning standards, developing priorities and quality control programs. As well as implementing maintenance requests and preventive programs, coordinating contracts, vendors and the bidding process, investigating complaints and requests, and recommending budget expenditures. Other duties include completing special projects and activities.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Oversee building projects, renovations, or refurbishments
- Supervise teams of staff across multiple divisions
- Ensure the facilities meet compliance standards and government regulations
- Manage budgets
- Ensure the facility is operating as it should on a daily basis
- Identify areas that can make the building more efficient and cost effective
- Ensure efficient and smooth business operations
Education and experience
- High school diploma required
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Five years of related experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to think proactively
- Excellent multitasking and organization skills
- Experience working in a related position
- Experience working with a wide variety of software programs
- Professional Facilities Management certification
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership and management for the facilities organization at a specific location, set of buildings, or campus environment. The Facilities Manager is charged with the day-to-day implementation of policies, procedures, programs, and workplace services delivery that provides a well-managed and well-maintained building. An emphasis of this role is placed on a positive response to the concerns and needs of the tenants, environmental health and safety, and quality programs, in coordination with the client’s goals and objectives. This position coordinates the activities, financials, vendors, and manpower required for current and future needs of the building and operations.
- Ensure the day-to-day operations of the facility(ies) or campus, including custodial, life-safety, engineering, site services, and general maintenance, are implemented and carried out in a manner consistent with C&W policies and client directives
- Manage all contracts to ensure they are reviewed on a regular basis and are bid out as required; verify that invoices match contract pricing
- Supervise all maintenance programs relating to the interior and exterior conditions and appearance of the properties
- Respond positively and promptly to requests from building tenants and occupants. Oversee the implementation of ongoing contract programs to constantly assess tenant and occupant needs and to ensure problems are being solved promptly to the mutual benefit of the tenant, client, and the properties in accordance with contract scope and Service Level Agreements (SLA’s)
- Ensure that all site-specific documentation and reports are completed accurately and on time
- Prepare, review, and give initial approval and as needed all budgets, financial reports (monthly and quarterly), contracts, expenditures and purchase orders related to the facility(ies) or complex.
- Coordinate the preparation and publication of the annual budget, quarterly reforecast, and business plans
- Assist in the development of capital budgets for the property. This includes contributions towards a five-year plan of maintenance, facility improvement, and cost reduction initiatives
- Collect, analyze, and report statistical data as may be required to provide accurate and current assessment of facility management objectives
- Hire, train, and motivate facility personnel. Maintain positive staff relations. Conduct or approve performance evaluations for staff
- Thoroughly familiar with the management contract and all requirements contained therein
- Monitor and ensure that tenants and vendors comply with insurance requirements and coordinate all claims, as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Facilities Management, Corporate Real Estate, Project Management, or Business Administration required
- A minimum of 5-7 years of commercial high-rise, campus environment, and/or property portfolio management experience required
- Experience in leasing, construction, engineering, and all facets of property operation and building management preferred
- Experience with critical system environments desired
- Experience in the development and implementation of programs to drive out cost inefficiencies preferred
- CMMS/Work Order Management experience preferred
Additional eligibility qualifications
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM), International Facilities Management Association (IFMA), Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) industry certifications recommended; other Engineering, Business, or technical training or certifications preferred
- Ability to read and understand construction specifications and blueprints
- Proficient in understanding management agreements and contract language
- Excellent computer and systems knowledge: Strong literacy in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong discipline of financial management including financial tracking, budgeting, and forecasting
- Knowledge of Financial Systems (Yardi is a plus)
- Skilled in Building Management Systems, maintenance, and monitoring
We are seeking a candidate with experience building and launching new initiatives with a demonstrated track record of working with cross-functional studios and corporate partners successfully. A successful candidate will be passionate, self-motivated, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, able to pivot when necessary, thorough, and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and an unwavering attention to detail. This is a position that requires someone who is a proactive, positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and strong communication skills.
Key job responsibilities
- Build operational and headcount plan to manage Studios and Post Production Facilities infrastructure and staff
- Along with scheduling, creating, and overseeing billing processes of facilities usage, coordinating with production finance as necessary
- Oversee the maintenance programs for production and non-production facilities
- Project manage studio infrastructure capital improvement projects
- Manage third-party contractors/vendors engaged in operating and maintaining properties, including third-party studio operations partners at the company’s various studio leaseholds
- Develop strong relationships with key business stakeholders by monitoring and listening to feedback, and delivering reporting for business-critical elements
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment, able to multitask, and meet multiple tight deadlines
- Work with Production Real Estate on potential new projects and launch those projects into operation
- Work with Amazon Procurement on equipment and supplies purchasing
- 10+ years experience in entertainment-specific campus operational and facilities management and overseeing Production and Post Production infrastructure
- Demonstrated track record of managing a profitable P&L
- Experience in creating and managing maintenance programs
- Experience building and managing a team or department within a startup or entrepreneurial setting, particularly one with both proprietary and contract resources
- Keen understanding of sourcing/procurement, building systems and maintenance, vendor management, and customer service
- Comfortable with legal terms and structures for standard commercial contracts
- Experienced in reading and translating CADs/blueprints
- Strong knowledge of facility infrastructure repairs and restoration
- Knowledge about sustainable infrastructure and practices
- Knowledge about BMS systems and operations
- Proficiency in production tools and productivity software, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, Sharepoint, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Professional designations such as FMP, CEM, PMP
- Smart Building, building automation, and plant experience
- Exceptional leadership, time management, facilitation, and organizational skills
- Self-starter who exhibits ownership of assigned tasks and who will push for solutions that solve immediate problems while building toward long-term goals
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced, dead-line-driven environment
- Accustomed to working in a team and collaborating with all levels within the organization
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail
- Ability to build rapport with clients and manage expectations
- Ability to effectively be flexible in approach, and respond well to pressure
We are seeking a motivated and experienced individual to take on the Facilities Manager role at ABC company. This position exercises overall responsibility for facility operations, physical plant, and the management of facilities part-time event staff, and all vendors. This is an exempt role reporting to the General Manager of the venue.
What this role will do
- Responsible for managing all aspects of facility operations and maintenance, including but not limited to, front of house operations, preventive maintenance, third-party contracting, limited governmental relationships, and staffing
- Recruits, hires, trains, and supervises part-time staff/supervisors, including but not limited to: Maintenance, Cleaning, Restroom Valets, and all Vendors
- Oversees the onboarding of staff using the application Workday and ensures that all employee data is managed properly
- Develops and oversees overhead expense budget for related departments
- Assists, in coordination with the general manager in preparation of annual operations budget
- Maintains and monitors records of all incident reports – investigates and manages all pending cases, including interviewing staff and attending arbitration hearings as necessary
- In conjunction with all management and other personnel, works to provide a safe and enjoyable facility for guests and employees including all Service Culture training
- Ensure optimum operating condition of all amphitheater equipment, such as crowd control devices and tenting
- Implementation and execution of all company policies, procedures, and programs
- Develops and coordinates an outgoing traffic and circulation plan with neighboring communities.
- Develop and implement recruiting program for seasonal event staff and other seasonal positions.
- Develop and coordinate the Injury Prevention Program for staff
- Development and maintenance of municipality relationships including police, fire, rescue, traffic, and other departments
- Coordinate and manage subcontractors and third-party vendors to ensure safe, efficient, and successful events
- Coordinate with Regional Facilities Manager to develop long-term preventive maintenance programs, capital expenditure programs, and other asset protection and improvement programs
- Ordering of and proper storage of all venue chemicals and related data sheets per standards
What this person will bring
- Bachelor’s degree in management preferred or experience in lieu of degree
- Minimum of two years of experience as Facilities Manager in a comparable division
- Previous experience dealing with police and public officials
- Previous supervisory experience managing large numbers of employees
- Previous experience with labor union contracts required
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Facility Manager (CFM). This certification is awarded by the International Facility Management Society (IFMA). This certification proves that a facility manager has the proper knowledge and training to deal with complex management issues. An exam must be passed to obtain certification.
- The Facility Management Professional (FMP). FMP certification is great for entry-level and transitioning facilities professionals and is designed to strengthen hard and soft skills in facility management.
- The Sustainability Facility Professional (SFP). The SFP is an assessment based program that focuses on sustainable building management practices. This certification is designed to increase efficiency, make candidates think strategically, and improve their company’s performance. It is a time tested credential.
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you imagine your typical day as a facilities manager?
- What strategies do you use to manage and prioritize multiple facility projects and initiatives, and how do you ensure they are completed on time and on budget?
- Is there a time when you had to troubleshoot a facility system or equipment issue, and how did you resolve it?
- Describe your experience in implementing and developing facility maintenance plans.
- What strategies do you use to identify and mitigate potential risks at your facility?
- Have you ever managed a team of contractors or vendors, and how did you ensure that their work was completed to your satisfaction?
- Do you have experience working in a regulated industry? If so, how do you ensure that your facility meets industry standards and regulations?
- How have you managed energy consumption and sustainability initiatives in a facility?
- What was the last time you had to work with other departments or stakeholders, such as HR or finance, in order to accomplish a facility-related goal or project?
- What do you do to ensure that your facility is properly maintained and cleaned? Which strategies do you use to ensure that visitors and employees feel welcome at the facility?