What Does a Systems Analyst Do?
In today’s world of tech-heavy business, it’s vital to have employees capable of managing enterprise IT and information systems. A business can only grow as fast as its infrastructure, and having people who can install, test, and upgrade that infrastructure is key.
Systems analysts implement and maintain complex computer systems for businesses. They assist in creating the requirements that developers and programmers follow, and create testing and analysis methods for the improvement and optimization of business systems.
Successful systems analysts have strong technical backgrounds and expertise in systems analysis, and excellent analytical, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills. They should also be able to translate business requirements into technical solutions by understanding business processes.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Systems analyst salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Systems Analyst is:
Systems Analyst Job Descriptions
- Technical responsibilities include maintaining a working knowledge of customers daily operations to ensure superior technical support
- Identifying process improvements based on customer’s needs and troubleshooting and providing client support for systems and applications
- The Systems Analyst may participate in Project Management from inception to completion and performs other duties as assigned
Certifications and education
- Computer Tech Related Related Field
- High School or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Computer Related
- 2 years of Systems Implementation
- 2 years of Systems Design
- 3 years of Systems Support
- Organizational skills
- Computer skills appropriate to position
- Critical thinking skills
- Work with a team
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of regulatory standards appropriate to position
- Multi-tasking skills
As a Systems Analyst, you will support our production systems and work on valuable data analytics.
- Support WMS, WES, WCS, and other order processing systems within the fulfillment network
- Troubleshoot technical issues in WMS, WES, WCS, and other systems across all operations as they occur
- Understand all available reporting tools, create reports that enable improved operation visibility and performance
- Develop deep knowledge of site level operations in order to drive and support continuous improvement efforts
- Continuously review operations setup and drive improvement via enhancements and functionality deployments
- Act as point of contact for production for all system requests (including order research, ad hoc reporting, etc.)
- Responsible for all level 1 Support
- Document support issues and resolutions
- Create Work Instruction and SOP documents
- Develop training materials for WMS, WES, WCS
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Attention to details
- Flexibility and reliability to cover scheduled shifts that support 24/7 production operations
- BS degree required. Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or Engineering Degree desired
- 1+ years of experience in multi-site industrial distribution, manufacturing, or processing environments
- Efficient Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point), Google app (Gmail, drive, sheets, etc.) knowledge
- SQL experience
- Experience gathering data and creating custom reports
- Some travel
- Translate requirements, ideas and concepts into wireframes, process flows, mockups and prototypes that lead to value added solutions, and intuitive user experiences for Almac Group
- Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, and mock-ups optimized for a wide range of systems and devices including off the shelf solutions.
- Regularly set up feedback sessions whereby the proposed design is presented clearly to all stakeholders so that they all understand the proposed solution
- Create technical and/or functional specifications and processes using structured analysis and data modelling techniques (e.g. Wire frames, ER Modelling)
- Carry out impact assessment work on system design and system changes
- Understand system interdependencies and collaborate with project teams accordingly to reduce the risk of unknown impacts when carrying out design
- Ensure the design is approved before implementation
- Work with the QA teams to ensure the design is adhered to
- Verify that the proposed solution meets the design
- Computer Science or related bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the following:
- Functional analyst, or related role
- Working with clients to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences, solutions and systems that meet client needs and vision
- Designing secure solutions that are well thought through and include both an intuitive user experience and design of integrated systems
- Communicating functional and technical information and ideas clearly and concisely to non-technical staff
- Using UX design best practices to design solutions
- Working effectively in a team setting ensuring consistency of solutions and experience across the organization
- Delivering value added solutions and providing some cost benefit analysis to the proposed solutions
- Documenting the proposed design
- Working with new solutions and commercial off the shelf solutions
- Tools used in development, testing, and installation of new software
- Tools used to mock UI screens and software flow
- Agile and Waterfall methodologies, and the software development life-cycle
Preferred experience and education
- Minimum of 1 year in Software Development
- Healthcare regulations pertaining to software development
- ERP and/or Supply Chain applications
- General security precautions incorporated into all user requirements
- UX design
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you analyze and recommend solutions for improving efficiency and effectiveness in complex technical and business systems?
- How do you prioritize projects?
- Have you conducted gap analyses to identify areas for improvement, and gathered requirements from clients and stakeholders?
- What experience do you have with the development of process flows and system designs, including using modeling and simulation software?
- Can you describe your experience undertaking feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses?
- How would you handle frequent changes to user and system requirements?
- How do you assess internal and external IT system needs?
- How do you perform a software audit?
- How do you maintain system and software records?
- How do you perform software registration?
- How do you analyze and evaluate existing systems?
- How would you communicate user scenarios in a technical document?
- Can you describe your experience communicating technical information to non-technical stakeholders clearly and concisely?
- What experiences have you had developing and maintaining technical documentation, such as system specifications and user guides?
- Describe the different modules in the SAP application.
- What is a DHCP server?
- What is the difference between SSH and SSL?
- How do you ensure the cost efficiency of IT systems?
- What steps do you take when initiating new projects?
- What is the approach for top-down analysis and design?
- What aspects of system analysis require documentation?
- How would you handle a system or production outage?
- How would you implement a new software tool?
- How to you remain up-to-date with the latest technology and advancements in systems analysis?