What Does a Solutions Architect Do?
Solutions architects are responsible for driving the success of complex technical projects. Often leading cross-functional teams, they must understand a wide range of technical concepts, be able to collaborate with stakeholders, and be able to analyze and interpret data. They must also be able to design and implement effective solutions that meet the needs of their customers.
A successful solutions architect will be skilled at identifying technical problems and developing creative solutions with numerous solutions and platforms. They must be excellent problem solvers and leaders who can communicate effectively with technical staff, executive management, and business stakeholders.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Solutions architect salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Solutions Architect is:
Solutions Architect Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a solutions architect. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
[Your company name] is looking to hire a driven solution architect who is enthusiastic about working hand in hand with our business and IT department to implement the most effective IT strategies to accomplish our productivity goals. As a solution architect with our company, you will work very closely with our customers to formulate the perfect IT equation for their success. If you enjoy technical concepts and problem-solving conflicts that may arise, our company would make a great career fit for you!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Analyzing technological environment and enterprise specifics
- Documenting requirements
- Preparing the cross-sector infrastructure
- Creating prototypes
- Aid customers in their technology selection
- Fostering solution development
- Finding the best solution to solve existing problems
- Describing the ins and outs of software to project stakeholders
Education and experience
- BS in computer science, information systems, or equivalent education or work experience
- At least 10-12 years of IT management experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent skills in computer and operating systems
- Proficient knowledge in infrastructure and engineering design
- Efficient at DevOps
- Familiar with system security measures
- Proficient at business analysis and database management
- Knowledgeable in cloud development and web platforms
- Expert verbal and written communication skills
- Risk management and identification skills
- Mastery of software development process and technical skills
- Proficient in solution construction and management
- Master’s degree in computer science or a related engineering field
- Equivalent work experience in software engineering
- Google cloud experience
- Comprehension of the current state of machine learning, cloud migrations, continuous integration/deployment, SQL/NoSQL, security, networking, and cloud-based delivery models
The Solutions Architect manages large teams who are developing high-level frameworks that align an organization’s IT infrastructure with business processes/data to improve the efficiency and productivity of business operations.
The person in this role will be responsible for envisioning and developing new digital products. The person will execute day-to-day product development activities across design, development, stakeholder communication, technology vendor management, and delivery.
- Collaborating with product development teams to provide a high-level vision of enterprise solutions and development initiatives
- Understanding and communicating the Enterprise strategy to Application, Data, and Solutions Architects along with other non-technical stakeholders
- Collecting, generating, and analyzing innovative ideas and technologies to use across the business
- Provide strategy to meet Audit Approach Manual (AAM) 22852 Certification for all products and solutions in Audit and Assurance portfolio.
- Prepares large enterprise system development cost estimates, budgets, and schedules
- Participating in the strategy for building and maintaining the development platform along with modeling, design, and coding practices
- Monitors architecture and design creation process and reviews the project artifacts
- Promoting Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment processes and DevOps capabilities
- Evaluate results within business unit to determine if organizational objectives are being met
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related discipline. While an advanced degree is preferred, the value is placed on the extent of the relevant experience and accomplishments
- 10+ years Industry experience, in architecture and delivery of software products and solutions
- 3+ years of experience designing and implementing Azure cloud environments, architectures, and operational models. Including developing cloud-ready solutions
- 2+ years of experience in planning, analyzing, designing, architecting, and supporting Audit and Assurance products and solutions
- 5+ years in a data engineering role with demonstrable experience with Cognitive computing, data integration, data mining, Natural Language Processing, Hadoop platforms, and automating machine learning components
- 3+ years of experience within a Sr Architecture role within large Scaled Agile program
- One or more programming languages (C#, Python); One or more databases (SQL, No SQL), Web front end technologies (Angular, ReactJS etc.), .NET Application frameworks, Business Intelligence solutions (Power BI), Enterprise integration patterns (MOM, SOA etc.), Machine learning & AI, Big Data analytics, Azure cloud provider, Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes etc.)
- Work is non-standardized and widely varied, involving many complex and significant variables including significant time spent planning, evaluating complex solutions and issues, and negotiating outcomes. Strong analytic ability and inductive thinking are frequently required to devise new approaches to situations where previously accepted solutions have proven inadequate. Supervision typically consists of periodic coaching, advice, and feedback. Management of a team within a business line
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future
- Knowledge about PCAOB regulations & standards, accounting standards like US GAAP & IFRS is a plus
- Certified Cloud Solution Architect by one or more cloud providers (Azure, AWS, GCP) preferable
ABC Company is looking for a Senior Solutions Architect in (City, State) who is passionate about helping our customers build infrastructures and applications at scale. Our solutions architects are experienced technologists with technical breadth and depth coupled with strong interpersonal skills. As a solutions architect, you will work directly with some of our largest and fastest growing customers to enable innovation through continuous deployment of cloud native technology stacks and advanced cloud solutions.
Our solutions architects build architectures and provide prescriptive guidance across application architecture, networking, storage, operating systems, virtualization, and Big Data. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of large scale distributed computing solutions, and experience leading deep architecture discussions, and hands on experience. You will partner with Sales, Professional Services, and other ABC Company teams to craft highly scalable, flexible and resilient cloud architectures that address customer business problems and accelerate the adoption of our services.
Roles and responsibilities
- Ensure customer success in designing, building and migrating applications, software, and services on the ABC Company platform
- Lead deep architectural discussions and design exercises to create world-class solutions built on ABC Company while ensuring solutions are designed for successful deployment in the cloud
- Be an ABC Company evangelist. Educate customers of all sizes on the value proposition of ABC Company.
- Author or otherwise contribute to ABC Company customer-facing publications such as whitepapers, blogs, and proof of concepts
- In partnership with the sales team, formulate, and execute a sales strategy to exceed revenue objectives through the adoption of ABC Company
- Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within customers to enable them to be cloud advocates
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the ABC Company solutions architect community
- 2+ years of design, implementation, or consulting experience in applications or infrastructures
- 4+ years within specific technology domain areas (e.g. software development, cloud computing, systems engineering, infrastructure, security, networking, data, and analytics)
- 7-10+ years design, implementation, or consulting experience with distributed applications
- 5+ years of experience in application, infrastructure, database, and networking architectures
- Experience working with external customers (pre-sales, consulting, technology/software sales)
- Technical degree required; Computer Science or Math background desired
- Hands on working knowledge of software development tools and methodologies
- Experience architecting/operating solutions build on ABC Company
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy customer solutions to the cloud
- Communication and presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with executives, IT Management, and developers
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Willingness to travel up to 20%
- Under limited guidance, works at the business unit level developing the end-to-end solution architecture for significant initiatives in partnership with key business and IT stakeholders
- Expose current state architecture and identify options for future state architecture
- Works closely with business and IT stakeholders creating solutions that balance competing interests and concerns
- Develop plans for and facilitate the migration from current to selected future state by providing technical leadership to multiple initiatives
- Mentor those in less senior positions
Job specific information
- This position is for a Software Architect on the Global Clearance Solutions team
- The ideal candidate will have experience in software architecture for distributed enterprise systems with an emphasis on Cloud Native design utilizing Micro Services
- The candidate should be experienced in implementing IT architectural visions by collaborating among other architects across the enterprise
- Candidate will need the ability to travel (approximately 30%) for domestic and international meetings and sometimes with short notice
- Accountable for delivering high-value architecture and design artifacts for all solutions in the Clearance domain area
- Collaborate with Enterprise and Solution Architects and leadership to lead domain visioning roadmaps, ensuring that they align with the strategic direction
- Responsible for architectural solutions to ensure Operational Excellence across all systems
- Collaborate with Advisors and Scrum Teams to determine solutions and provide mentorship
- Provide support, guidance, and oversight with Advisors and Scrum Teams for PHLD, detailed design, and program integration during implementation activities
- Consult and guide the organization in the architectural strategies and the Renewal modernization efforts
- Develop architecture design for Renewal based architecture in the global Clearance domain space
- Combine strategic and tactical visions. Assist in facilitation of the tactical solution while ensuring alignment with IT strategy
- Architect and lead initiatives for Non-Functional Requirements across organization
Skillsets & experience required
- Experience with modern server technology stacks such as Java, Angular, Springboot, and Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Proven history of Software Architectural Design in a distributed environment using Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodologies
- Demonstrated history of architecting and implementing Micro-services-based systems and patterns is preferred
- Experience working with management and collaborating among cross-organization teams
- Excellent knowledge in database design concepts and SQL
- Implementation experience in Spring boot and Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Demonstrated knowledge of next-gen UI designs, coding, testing of web-based applications using Angular
- Proven ability to rapidly deliver artifacts, prototypes and proof-of-concept work to validate a proposed architectural approach
- Experience driving Quality Driven Management (QDM) practices and leading Quality Action Teams
- Demonstrated history of architecting and implementing Micro-services-based systems and patterns is preferred
- Knowledge of Clearance systems, customs regulations, and processes is a plus
- SPARX modeling experience is a plus
- TOGAF certification is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information Systems, business, and/or equivalent formal training or work experience
- Five (5) years equivalent work experience in information technology or engineering environment
- A related advanced degree may offset the related experience requirement
- Ability to lead, working collaboratively and creatively with business and IT stakeholders
- Strong human relation and communication skills
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Open Group Architecture Framework (OGAF). The OGAF is used by some of the world’s leading organizations to improve business efficiency. Certification is achieved by passing two exams. Renewal is not required.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE). The MCSE requires two-plus years of education or training along with at least two years of work experience. Candidates are expected to pass an oral or written exam. No renewal is required.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional – Architecture (CISSP). The CISSP is an appropriate credential for chief security architects but is also useful to solution architects in any specialty as companies value security very highly. In today’s world, candidates can’t be too careful with IT security. This certification requires two-plus years of training or education after high school. Candidates also must have two years of work experience and pass an oral or written exam. Certification renewal is required every three years.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate. This certification is intended for candidates who perform a solution architect’s role. It requires more than two years of work experience. Candidates must pass an oral or written exam. Recertification is required every two years.
- CCNP Service Provider Operations (CCNP). The CCNP requires candidates to pass an oral or written exam and renew certification every three years.
- Emergency Management Certification (EMC). The EMC requires a minimum of two years of education or training after high school. It also requires two-plus years of work experience. Candidates must pass an oral or written exam.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience with designing and implementing technical solutions, including creating requirements and system architectures?
- Describe your experience leading cross-functional teams and stakeholders in technical solution development and implementation.
- How have you defined and implemented security and privacy solutions, such as data encryption?
- What methods do you use when communicating and collaborating with client stakeholders and other team members?
- How do you keep up with advances in technology and systems architecture, including emerging technologies and best practices?
- What goals do you set for yourself as a solutions architect?
- Describe a time you successfully resolved a complex technical challenge or issue. What was your approach?
- Describe a time when you were unable to resolve a technical challenge. How did you communicate the challenge and issues?
- What skills do you think a solutions architect should possess?
- What strengths aid you in fulfilling your role as a solutions architect? What about weaknesses?
- What educational background do you have that prepares you to be a solutions architect?
- Tell me about the projects in your portfolio.
- How would you improve our existing software? How would you go about implementing those changes?