What Does a Quality Analyst Do?
Quality analysts ensure that products and services meet established quality standards. They monitor and evaluate processes, products, and services as part of their job in many industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and technology. Typically, these analysts work closely with other teams, such as engineering, operations, and customer service, to improve and reduce quality.
A quality analyst needs to be able to analyze and solve problems as well as have a solid understanding of quality management principles and tools. Professionals in this role must be able to analyze data and identify trends and patterns that indicate quality issues or areas that can be improved. It is also critical for quality analysts to be capable of developing and implementing quality management systems that comply with industry regulations.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Quality analyst salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Quality Analyst is:
Quality Analyst Job Descriptions
Summary – the basic function of the role
The Quality Analyst position is integral to the success of ABC Company’s growing business; the position will have the responsibility for ensuring that the quality management system on the manufacturing floor is robust and followed to ensure product compliance. The successful candidate will work closely with various departments to review and validate products based on quality requirements and recommend changes to predetermined quality guidelines. The Quality Analyst shall demonstrate strong attention to detail and have analytical and problem-solving abilities. This role shall also interpret and implement quality assurance standards to provide accurate and comprehensive feedback to colleagues. The Quality Analyst shall take an active role in the Internal Quality Audit program.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Promote quality goals, policies, objectives, and standards throughout company operations
- Develop and revise procedures and work instructions for compliance with the QMS while identifying opportunities for improvement
- Perform assessments to ensure the functionality, reliability, performance, and quality of the products
- Identify and remedy defects within the production process
- Recommend, implement, and monitor preventative and corrective actions to ensure that quality assurance standards are achieved
- Compile and analyze statistical data
- Ensure that user expectations are met during the testing process
- Investigate customer complaints and product issues
- Ensure ongoing compliance with quality and industry regulatory requirements
- Effectively manage and communicate product processes and system quality issues with applicable departments on a day-to-day basis
- Develop and carry out any Quality related training required within their area of expertise
- Promote regular communication of Customer requirements to Production Supervisors and Shift Leads
- Participate in special projects and continuous improvement projects as required by management
- Inspect parts and products to customer, company, and supplier dimensional drawings and standards
- Control internal calibration plan and calibrate critical measurement tools internally as required
- Review the accuracy of destructive and non-destructive testing such as proof load, break tests, electrical resistance tests, linear density, and elongation tests, as applicable
- Create and review certificates of conformance, certification manuals, and data books for especially products
- Perform incoming inspection of critical products, noncompliant, and/or returned materials for verification, disposition, and recording of appropriate information and records, as required
- Generate inspection reports, maintain, and control inspection records, as required
- Responsible for completion, reporting, and investigation of NCR as assigned by the manager
- Process priorities in a timely manner
- Keep a safe and clean environment and follow safety rules
- Perform compliance assessments and internal audits
- Accompany third-party inspectors for validation of test reports and witnessing purposes
- Additional tasks as assigned
Skills and competencies
- Ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers and suppliers
- Proficiency in dimensional inspection equipment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Write and complete technical forms and reports
- Develop and revise quality procedures and work instructions
- Read and interpret blueprints and engineering specifications
- Apply concepts such as functions, percentages, rates, and proportions to simple data
- Be able to work in a team environment
- Meticulous attention to detail
- High School diploma or GED
- Associate degree or higher preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in quality inspection, calibration, auditing, and testing
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of QA databases and applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience using common tools (calipers, micrometers, functional gauges, megohmmeters, tape measures, laser mics, and more) is preferred.
- Internal calibration of measurement tools experience
- Auditing experience, ISO 9001 preferred
Employees may have to lift documents/materials up to 50 pounds in weight. The employee will have to be able to walk/climb to a variety of primary work locations, including traveling by air/auto to other sites. The employee will need to listen, understand, and speak with team members in person, telephonically, and electronically at all levels within a diverse workforce and with supported organizations. The employee is able to work in front of a personal computer and telephone for long periods of time.
Approximately 25% travel to support other ABC Company locations as needed.
The primary work environment is a non-temperature-controlled workshop/manufacturing facility where following appropriate safety protocols at the location would be required. Employee will be
Protecting our policyholders’ dreams, passions, and livelihoods has a direct impact on the communities we serve. We work towards excellence, conduct ourselves with high integrity, and take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Small Details. Big Difference. Find out how you can make a difference with a career at ABC Company.
ABC Company is seeking an experienced Quality Analyst! This role will adhere to and promote quality assurance methods and procedures to ensure all information systems and data solutions meet minimum company standards, and end-user requirements, and are free from defects. The Quality Analyst will plan, document, and execute quality assurance (QA) testing; and track and report testing results.
About the role
- Defines, implements, and executes data or application development quality assurance (QA) and regression business system manual testing within the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). This includes planning, creating, evaluating, and tracking testing results
- Isolates, replicates, and reports defects; verifies defect fixes in the SDLC
- Works as part of an agile team building trust with the business to achieve organizational, business owner, and product owner goals
- Reviews user stories and acceptance criteria to ensure a full understanding of deliverables and identification of test requirements
- Coaches, mentors, and assists business departments in defining user acceptance test cases and plans
- Enables, promotes, and improves quality assurance (QA) SDLC processes. Develops new and updates existing QA best practices
- Estimates quality assurance efforts on user stories
- Demonstrates practical experience in a variety of insurance industry procedures and practices while interacting with internal employees, outside vendors, and consultants
- Demonstrates proficient understanding of the design, execution, and reporting of software testing
- Performs a variety of tasks to facilitate the completion of projects including but not limited to coordinating communication with outside departments, writing documentation and specifications, testing, and consulting
- Assists with the execution of automation scripts for agile teams’ ad hoc needs
- Assists in the selection, design, development, and implementation of quality assurance tools
- You enjoy using logic and analysis to solve problems
- You are creative and innovative and enjoy challenging the status quo
- You are curious and enjoy seeking additional information – always asking the “why”
- You enjoy brainstorming and can deal with concepts and complexity comfortably
- You are a self-starter and enjoy taking a lead role in improving products and services
- You are quality-focused and can manage multiple responsibilities
What it will take
- Associate’s degree in computer science or a business-related discipline with a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to information system and/or business analysis
- Experience with manual and/or automated data or system application testing including developing, documenting, and executing test cases
- Extensive computer software knowledge (above-average word processing knowledge, ability to create and maintain spreadsheets, extensive experience with entering data into databases) – OR – SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL (writing queries), or other databases and BI reporting tools (e.g., Microsoft Power BI). Knowledge of and experience with data movement validation (ETL, ELT, CDC)
- Experience working within a project-management environment
- Demonstrated writing, editing, and proofing skills with attention to clarity, grammar, and detail. Strong communication skills to seek out details, express ideas, and present solutions in ways the audience can understand. This may involve researching, interviewing, and anticipation of how to apply a solution to a current or new process
- 3 or more years of Commercial P&C insurance and/or Guidewire experience is highly desirable
- Experience working within an agile environment, writing detailed business requirements or user stories, and Microsoft Azure DevOps and Test Manager highly desirable
The Quality Analyst ensures compliance with cGMP regulations in the manufacturing area including all documentation complying with the company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), governmental regulations, and other requirements where applicable, and facilitates communication between departments to ensure a smooth flow of materials and release. The Quality Analyst reviews and releases raw, intermediate, and finished materials, and leads quality assurance initiatives and implementations.
Essential areas of responsibility
- Coordinates the sampling, testing, and release of printing components used for packaging operations
- Reviews receiving records and manufacturing documentation of materials (bulk, printed components, etc.) to be used in the manufacture of finished goods
- Confirms products to be released in ERP System
- Supports production activities by performing in-process monitoring-related tasks (i.e. temperature/humidity, pressure, statistical checks (AQLs), etc.
- Assists in the training of new employees in job duties according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), current Good Manufacturing Practices, (cGMP), and Company training procedures
- Coordinates, assembles, and reviews the site (retention area) Annual Product Review
- Interfaces with manufacturing, warehouse, QC, and materials management to ensure adherence to policies and procedures
- Supports the Investigation, CAPA, and Effectiveness Checks quality system by initiation deviations and participating in the event response team initiative
- Prepares change controls for SOPs
- Updates SOPs for the review and release of finished goods and raw materials
- Maintains QA documentation files, database, and logs
- Responsible for completing all training requirements and maintaining 100% compliance with all assignments
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- Requires High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in a regulated environment (Manufacturing or Quality) or one (1) year of satisfactory performance as a Quality Inspector
- Experience in Microsoft Office required
How to Hire a Quality Analyst
When hiring a quality analyst, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, quality analysts are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
We recommend using either Toptal, Upwork, or both.
Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers in the world. Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Top companies hire Toptal freelancers for their most important projects. Hiring a quality analyst on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced quality analyst. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a quality analyst opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you ensure that products and services meet established quality standards based on your experience with quality management?
- How do you monitor, evaluate, and identify areas for improvement in your processes, products, and services?
- What steps did you take to resolve a quality issue when you were investigating it?
- How have you collected and analyzed data to identify trends and patterns that indicate quality issues?
- Do you develop corrective action plans based on priorities and factors?
- In what ways have you trained and coached other members of your team on quality management principles and tools?
- What strategies do you use to improve quality and reduce defects in collaboration with other teams, such as engineering, operations, and customer service?
- Do your quality management system and process conform to industry regulations and standards?
- When have you worked with a team to create and implement a new quality management system or process?