Truck drivers transport materials and goods among manufacturing, distribution, and retail centers. They may also perform sales and customer service as part of the job. Other typical duties include basic repair work and inspecting their vehicles for mechanical issues. Depending on the fleet size requirements of the industry, their routes may be regional or national.
A truck driver works independently, but may help warehouse workers load and unload items into their trucks. This position requires extensive knowledge of applicable truck driving rules and regulations, and the ability to drive long hours. Truck drivers are dependable with great communication skills, and must be willing to travel regularly.
Sample job description #1
Our knowledgeable team of drivers is responsible for efficiently delivering the right products to our customers in a professional, safe and timely manner. They pick up pre-loaded trucks from our distribution centers and drive routes pre-determined by our logistics team. We work hard to ensure our drivers are set up with the environment and support they need – like accurate orders, well-maintained trucks and equipment, and a strict compliance to safety regulations.
If you are interested in a career delivering globally recognized brands, this is a great way to get started. We offer competitive pay and benefits, best in class training, cutting-edge technology and opportunities to learn, grow and develop your career.
Position responsibilities may include, but not limited to
- Abide by Company attendance policies.
- Safe and professional operation of a commercial motor vehicle, including but not limited to: Combination vehicles, straight trucks, or other vehicles such as pick-up trucks and service vans with a GVWR or GCWR over 10,001 lbs.
- Complete pre-trip, in-route, and post-trip inspections of equipment.
- Ability to operate vehicles in congested areas with limited space and potential obstacles.
- Comply with all applicable Department of Transportation regulations including but not limited: Controlled Substances, Commercial Driver Licensing, Driver Qualification, CMV Operation, Hours of Service; CSA inspections and compliance, Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance, etc.
- Maintain an acceptable driving record in compliance with Department of Transportation Regulations and ABC Company Fleet Safety Policy.
- Utilize an on board computer to track hours of service.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Safely and accurately unload and deliver multi-temperature product to customers utilizing a variety of preferred methods including lift gates, carts, conveyers, hand trucks, and/or pallet jacks.
- Utilize barcode scanners at the point of delivery as required to verify delivered product.
- Pick up returned product as required.
- Accurately complete delivery and pick up paperwork.
- Maintain contact with Dispatch to receive delivery or pick up instructions or changes in scheduled deliveries or pick-ups.
- Maintain route plan as provided by Dispatch.
- Communicate to Dispatch any barriers to maintaining the route plan so any changes can be communicated to the customer.
- Maintain knowledge and comprehension of all applicable Department of Transportation regulations and Company policies through Company training and certifications.
- Observe all local, state and federal laws and ordinances.
- Abide by all ABC Company policies and procedures.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required skills and experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age or meet the minimum state legal age requirements.
- Valid Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) and acceptable driving record within MVR policy guidelines.
- At least one year driving experience with a Class A-CDL or equivalent military driving experience.
- A minimum of one year of safe driving experience with some of the experience within the past 12 months in a CMV similar in type to the one they will be operating for the Company.
- Must have one (1) year of work experience in an environment; such as, distribution center, roofer, farmhand, grocery dock, construction or other positions which require continuous heavy lifting.
- Knowledge of DOT regulations.
- This position must pass a post offer drug test, background check and DOT Physical.
Preferred skills and experience
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Beverage industry experience.
- Prior customer service experience including solving issues/problems
- Experience working with manual or powered pallet jacks.
Sample job description #2
ABC Company is searching for a customer-focused Part-Time Propane Delivery Driver to join our team! ABC Company Truck Drivers are critical to our success as they are the face of our company in their daily interactions with our current and future customers. As a part-time driver on our team, you will pick up and deliver propane to residential and industrial customers in a safe and efficient manner. ABC Company delivery drivers can expect to work local routes and be home every night; however, on-call rotations for after hours and weekend emergency deliveries may be needed.
- Loads, secures, transports, delivers, and unloads propane to and from specified destinations
- Provides exceptional customer service by supplying service information and answering inquires
- Inspects vehicle and notifies supervisor of needed equipment, supplies, or routine maintenance
- Maintains compliance with all DOT requirements
- Previous truck driving experience, preferred
- Class A or B CDL, Hazmat and Tanker Endorsement, or obtain quickly
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Good driving record
- Physically able to lift up to 60 pounds, in all weather conditions
- Must be a Citizen or National of the United States, a lawful, permanent resident, or have authorization to work in the United States
- Applicants must not now, or any time in the future, require sponsorship for an employment visa.
Sample job description #3
All drivers run daily routes with frequent stops and are required to load packages onto hand trucks and unload product at each stop on the assigned route in the order they are designated by the Transportation Department Manager. The candidate will operate successfully in a cross-dock model picking up a loaded truck from a nightly delivery at the assigned loading dock and return the empty truck back to the assigned lot at the end of the route. May be required to assist occasionally with loading-trucks, palletizing product, and performing other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Manager.
- Provide technical, customer relations, and personnel management for major programs and projects.
- Runs routes efficiently, meeting or exceeding designated route times
- Unload product from trailer, by hand or using a hand cart, and place in designated customer storage areas. May include transporting product down ramps, stairs, or docks, in all weather conditions.
- Frequently lift, push, or move product that weighs 1-75 pounds, up to 100 pounds; frequently reach up to 72″ to stack and unstack pallets and hand cart; constantly bend and twist while loading and unloading product, and retrieving items from trailer.
- Verify delivery of items with customer and obtain proper signatures. Contact management for authorization when discrepancies are on invoices. Communicate all errors/returns.
- Calls in when a customer does not receive their entire order (shorts)
- Handles any customer complaints professionally
- Handles company equipment properly, follow written driver safety rules, and performs a pre-trip inspection. Perform pre-trip and post-trip responsibilities in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations and Sysco policies and procedures
- Degrees/Certificates Minimum Required:
- High School or GED or equivalent
- One-year route delivery experience or applicable background driving a straight truck
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License – Class A required
- Must be able to read and understand English.
- Operate vehicle in a variety of traffic and weather conditions.
- Meet or exceed minimum productivity levels established by the Company.
- Meet or exceed established cases per error goals
- Demonstrate strong customer relations and problem resolution skills.
- Effectively plan and organize work activities independent of direct supervision.
- Develop a good working knowledge of product and inventory control techniques and procedures.
- Maintain ongoing inter-department communications related to routing, safety, and customer relations.
- Proven ability to communicate articulately and perform simple arithmetic (Experience in handling money preferred)
- Building Customer Loyalty
- Managing Work
- Building Trust
- Frequent lifting of product up to 50 lbs. during the shift, infrequent lifting to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to climb on and off the box of the truck
- Frequent bending, squatting, pushing, and pulling
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
Sample interview questions
- What interested you in a career as a truck driver?
- Are you comfortable traveling for a week or longer?
- What is your greatest strength and how would it apply to your position as a truck driver?
- Do you think communication skills are an important aspect of your role as a truck driver?
- How do you keep yourself motivated as you drive for long periods of time?
- Tell me about your professional driving experience and include any accidents you’ve been in or special licenses you’ve earned.
- Tell me about your truck maintenance routine.
- What’s your strategy for ensuring that you consistently meet your deadlines?
- Have you ever been late for a delivery, and if so, how did you handle the situation?