What Does a Concierge Do?
A Concierge, also known as a guest relations manager or guest service worker, is responsible for taking care of a wide range of customer or guest needs. Typically, they work in the hospitality industry, although some work in high-end office buildings and apartment complexes. Their main purpose is to ensure guests have a pleasant experience and all their needs are taken care of. To be a concierge, excellent communication skills and customer service skills are necessary.
In the course of a day, a concierge might assist guests or tenants with dinner and tour reservations, arrange tickets to events, and coordinate transportation. Other duties include greeting guests, managing customer complaints, running errands for guests, and ensuring requests for housekeeping and/or maintenance are taken care of in a timely manner. Working knowledge of computers, good written and verbal communication skills, and a polite and friendly personality are essential. A concierge must also be able to multitask and have an excellent knowledge of local dining, attractions, and shopping.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Concierge salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Concierge is:
Concierge Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a concierge. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
[Your Company Name] is seeking a new concierge. You will be responsible to deliver the highest quality customer service to all members and guests. As the first point of contact, you play a crucial role in ensuring everyone who visits feels welcomed and valued. In this role, you will enjoy a fun work environment while building value-based relationships, which increases member loyalty and assists them in meeting their healthy way of life goals. As an ideal candidate, you have proven customer service experience working in the hospitality industry or a related field.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Greets guests and/or customers
- Handles guest or customer complaints
- Provides local information to guests, including directions, attractions, shopping, nightlife, or recreational opportunities
- Arranges transportation for special events, excursions, and tours
- Acquires tickets to special events or makes reservations for guests at a wide variety of venues, such as dinner, recreation times, or spa treatments
- Runs errands for guests
- Provides a range of business services such as shipping packages and assisting with printing needs
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail
- Manages luggage and deliveries
- Plans and schedules special events, parties, or meetings
- Arranges for interpreters or translators
- Managing requests for housekeeping and/or maintenance
Education and experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years of hotel guest services experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Positive attitude
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- Ability to speak a second language
- Experience in customer service, preferably in the hospitality industry
- Sales experience
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in hospitality, business, or related field
This individual will assist with the day to day activities of the Concierge Desk at an award winning luxury hotel and provide the guest(s) with the highest level of service possible, while maintaining the hotel and Preferred standards of service.
- Recognize guests, develop professional relationships with them and use their surnames as often as is appropriate
- Be the ambassador for the city and the hotel
- Maintain constant awareness of hotel operations (occupancy, arrivals, departures, VIP guests, amenities, etc.)
- Be the “expert” as to the hotel’s location in relation to major office buildings, points of interest and areas of the city to make appropriate recommendations and arrangements for guests
- Maintain current and complete information on relevant Boston area restaurants and nurture business relationships to obtain reservations on short notice
- Maintain listings of current and future theatrical performances, museum exhibitions, concerts, and other notable events while having the contacts to obtain tickets on short notice
- Maintain database of all services which guests might need including, but not limited to, translation assistance, babysitters, religious services, tailors, retail stores, museums, attractions, theatres, restaurants, shopping, and tours
- Coordinate any guests; tickets, floral, transportation, dining, etc.
- Handle all outgoing mail, courier and delivery packages daily
- Take reservation calls and monitor reservation channels when the Reservations Department has left for the day and on the weekends
- Ensure that all legitimate guest requests are handled in an efficient, appropriate manner
- Assist front desk as needed
- Use Concierge software to record all guest requests and communicate to colleagues on a daily basis
- Coordinate activities of drivers, bellmen, and doormen informing them of special guests and group arrivals at beginning of each shift
- Ensure that drivers, bellmen and doormen maintain standards of service, performance, and appearance at all times luggage delivery, retrieval, and storage is handled expediently and securely
- Resolve all guest requests, needs, issues, and complaints during the shift
The Concierge is the face of the company and their main goal is to delight each and every customer. You will be responsible for clients from the moment they get in touch with the company, until their vehicle is in for their appointment. That includes fielding in-bound calls, chats, and emails; dispatching valet drivers; and ensuring that the schedule has been optimized each day. In this role you will juggle multiple clients at any one time, and will need to have exceptional communication skills, customer service experience, and empathy. Experience in the auto industry and with sales in any capacity are preferred, but not required.
- Answer inbound phone calls
- Respond in a timely manner to emails, chats, and messages
- Dispatching drivers, and optimizing the schedule of appointments each day
- Approach every scenario with flexibility and responsiveness
- Be solutions minded by offering suggestions for various issues that may arise
- Other tasks as assigned
- HS Diploma
- 2-3 years customer service experience
- Motivated, organized, and effective communication skills
Looking to create a magnifique and memorable experience for someone? As a concierge at this hotel, you have that opportunity!
What is in it for you
- Be part of a high performing team who supports and inspires each other to be your best self everyday
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities
- Joining a motivating and inspiring team of ambassadors, focused on personalized service and unique experiences
- Career development opportunities with national and international promotion opportunities. The sky is your limit!
What you will be doing
- Creating a wonderful and memorable experience for our guests
- Assisting guests with travel arrangements
- Acquiring extensive knowledge of the hotel facilities, nearby attractions, and restaurants to make the most suitable recommendations
Your experience and skills include
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Service focused personality is essential; customer related experience is an asset
- Be a collaborative team player, a creative problem solver who leads with your heart
- Excellent communication skills and professional presentation
- Prior experience working with Opera or a related system is an asset
Your team and working environment
- Be part of an exciting and influential team who encourage you to be your best self each day
- We recognize and celebrate team and individual successes
- A brand influenced by French indulgence offering a genuine experience of art de vivre for both ambassadors and guests
- A passionate and inspired team that creates unique experiences for all they meet
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Hotel Concierge. This certification is administered by The National Concierge Association (NCA) and is awarded based on concierge services excellence, continuing education in the hospitality industry, and community involvement. To obtain certification, candidates must attend the NCA orientation session and complete a written essay, exam, and interview with the National President and NCA Chief Executive Officer. They also must be approved by the NCA Executive Board of Directors. Emphasis is placed on a candidate’s guest service skills, proficiency using technology and the internet, ability to provide personalized service, diversity awareness, and immersion in global and cultural environments. Candidates employed as hotel lobby concierges with at least 90 days of experience in the field are eligible.
- NCA Certified Concierge. The National Concierge Association (NCA) grants NCA Certified Concierge certification status to NCA Concierge members who have demonstrated concierge services excellence, continuing education in the hospitality industry, community involvement, and who are active in the NCA. Qualifications include becoming a member of the NCA, attending the NCA Orientation session, and completing all requirements of the NCA Certification program, which include a written essay, exam, interview with the National President and NCA Chief Executive Officer, and approval by a majority vote of the NCA Executive Board of Directors.
- Art of Concierge (AOC) Certificate. The International School of Hospitality offers the AOC to candidates looking to take their guest service skills to the next level. This course combines theory and practice in providing candidates with the expertise they’ll need in dining, entertainment, and leisure, as well as developing their sense of self and integrity as a professional concierge. They will learn the latest and best practices in the industry from some of the most prominent individuals in the field. Key topics include creating comprehensive itineraries for guests and their parties, making recommendations for food, leisure, and entertainment, global guests and guest diversity, and safety and security.
How to Hire a Concierge
Consider the following when hiring a concierge:
- Recruiting: Do you have the internal resources and tools to source and recruit for this role successfully?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid, or even junior-level skills suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project, or an indefinite need?
- Management: Can you effectively direct the work effort?
- Urgency: Are there any deadlines associated with this need?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, various great options exist for every scenario, no matter how unique. When hiring a construction foreman, we recommend the following options:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder when hiring a concierge:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- How would you deal with a challenging guest? Can you give an example of a past experience?
- What are the keys to success when interacting with guests?
- Can you give an example of a time when you went above and beyond to deliver exceptional customer service?
- What does discretion mean to you?
- When are you allowed to say “no” to a guest’s request?
- How would you help guests to spend their free time in the area? What would you recommend?
- How would you respond to a guest who made a request that you didn’t know how to fulfill?
- What are some popular local options for entertainment?
- How would you enhance a guest’s experience when celebrating a special occasion, such as a child’s birthday or a wedding anniversary?
- Describe a typical day at your current or previous job.
- What is the most challenging aspect of being a concierge? How do you manage this?
- How do you prioritize your work when responding to multiple requests simultaneously?
- What is the most significant trait that makes you a good concierge?
- What is the most difficult part of providing excellent customer service?
- How would you handle a negative coworker?
- What motivates you?
- What are the best restaurants in the area?