What Does a Python Developer Do?
Python developers do a variety of things using the Python language, including machine learning, data analytics, and visualization, producing applications, as well as developing web services, games, and languages. They must have excellent collaborative skills as they work closely with web developers, software engineers, and clients to produce engaging, functional software. These individuals also need to have a strong familiarity with testing and debugging tools. Solid analytical skills, the ability to troubleshoot effectively, and excellent project management skills are also essential for success in this role.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Python developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Python Developer is:
Python Developer Job Descriptions
As a member of our Software Engineering Group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You’ll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
- Advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines
- Understanding of architecture and design across all systems
- Working proficiency in developmental toolsets
- Knowledge of industry wide technology trends and best practices
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals, and passionate about building an innovative culture
- Proficiency in one or more modern programming languages – Python
- Understanding of software skills such as business analysis, development, maintenance and software improvement
- 4 years experience working in UNIX, SQL, Spark Software, Python, and Scala
- Understanding of architecting, designing, and Integrating solutions in a large-scale enterprise of highly distributed applications
- Good to have AWS/Cloud certifications and knowledge of AWS/Cloud Data, Analytics, ML services
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a technology related field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science, etc.) required
- Strong knowledge of Python object-oriented programming
- Extensive development experience with SQL and Relational Database systems like Oracle and Postgres
- Some experience with Data Warehousing, Data Marts, and ETL
- Experience with REST API’s, Snowflake, Big Data, AWS, and Cloud technologies is a Plus
- Experience with DevOps, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (Maven, Jenkins, Stash, Ansible, Docker) is a plus
- Experience in Agile methodologies (Kanban and SCRUM) is a plus
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills, both through written and verbal channels
- Excellent collaboration skills to work with multiple teams in the organization
- Ability to think out of box and design end-to-end solutions
- Passion and intellectually curiosity to learn new technologies and business areas
- Exploring new technology trends and leveraging them to simplify our data ecosystem
- Collaborating with internal and external teams to deliver technology solutions for the business needs
- Working on teams to improve development agility and productivity
- Delivering system automation by setting up continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines
We’re looking for a Python Developer to aid us in our mission to improve human health and quality of life.
Schrödinger is on the cutting edge of computational drug discovery and materials science. Our platform is used by researchers and companies around the world and drives our own internal drug discovery projects.
As a member of our Python Development team, you’ll play a key role in writing and maintaining GUI, workflow, and application code across a broad range of scientific products.
Who will love this job
- A Python programmer who’s passionate about building well-designed, well-tested, and user-oriented software
- A scientist at heart with an interest in simulations and modeling
- A natural collaborator who enjoys interacting both within the team and across departments
- Write clear, highly-organized, maintainable Python code
- Adopt good software engineering practices and methodologies
- Build complex software with many interacting parts
- Solid grasp of object-oriented programming principles
- Familiarity with writing unit tests and test-driven development
- Some background in chemistry, biology, or physics and familiarity with scientific language and concepts
- Experience in GUI development and/or large, complex codebases preferred, but not required
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you tell me about your experience with Python, as well as how you keep up with advancements and updates in the language?
- What tools and processes do you use to write, test, and debug Python code?
- Which Python frameworks and libraries do you like the most, and how have you used them?
- In order to optimize performance, how do you ensure that your code is maintainable and scalable?
- How have you used version control and code reviews to improve the quality of your code?
- Could you tell me about a time when you had to learn a Python library or framework quickly and what steps you took?
- Is your code secure and compliant with industry regulations and best practices? How do you ensure this?
- Could you tell me about a time when you had to troubleshoot a complex software issue and how you resolved it?
- Which skills are most important for Python developers, and what can you do to cultivate them?
- In order to develop applications that meet user requirements, how do you collaborate with other developers, designers, and stakeholders?