What Does a UI Developer Do?
The user interface (UI) is where users control and use a particular piece of software, and UI developers are responsible for visualizing and creating that part of a program. A UI developer lives at the intersection of computer programming, psychology, and graphic design. UI developers have to get inside a user’s mind and predict how a user would want to control a piece of software, then design an interface that is intuitive and easy to learn.
In addition to hard technical skills, UI developers should also have soft skills like verbal and written communication, project management, team leadership, and presentation. A UI developer needs to be able to effectively communicate ideas to stakeholders outside of the development team to align the goals of a particular project. Generally, a UI developer doesn’t work alone, so team leadership and the ability to motivate and coordinate colleagues are also critical.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
UI developer salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a UI Developer is:
UI Developer Job Descriptions
When it comes to recruiting a UI developer, having the right job description can make a big difference. Here are some real world job descriptions you can use as templates for your next opening.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product’s direction, visuals, and experience
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off with engineering
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user-friendliness to complex design roadblocks
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and site maps to communicate interaction and design ideas effectively
- Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive stakeholders
- Conduct user research and evaluate feedback
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human-computer interaction, interaction design, engineering, or a related field required
- A master’s degree in those fields is strongly preferred
Required skills and qualifications
- Demonstrate UI design skills with a strong portfolio
- Substantial experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and site maps
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Ability to present designs and sell solutions to various stakeholders
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Solid experience implementing automated tests leveraging Jasmine and Cypress
- Good working knowledge of cloud security and web security
- Enthusiasm to work in an Agile development model
The UI Developer will provide the highest level of technical expertise for the design, development, and usability of user interfaces for ABC Company software products. They will provide leadership for all front-end design and code while effectively prioritizing and managing deadlines and internal client expectations. They will also develop innovative and effective solutions for the team’s web and mobile interfaces.
This role will require collaboration with project management, developers, engineers, and client teams to create the new look for our next generation of products. It requires broad development expertise and strong design experience with responsive user interfaces running on a broad array of devices, from large screen displays to small mobile screens. Successful candidates will demonstrate past success and enthusiasm to work in a global team-oriented environment that offers the opportunity to build the discipline.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Product Vision Development
- Partner with backend development, project management, test engineers and client teams to create the new look for our next generation of products
- Engage with other developers to create structures that facilitate effective communication in user interfaces
- Develop code from sitemaps, wireframes, storyboards, and HTML prototypes
- Primarily responsible for the front-end of online projects and partnering with backend development to ensure that the front and back-ends work together as expected
- Establish and follow best practices in creating UI components
- Other duties, as assigned
- Provide technical leadership to the project team; ensure that all team members are working together effectively, are communicating with other teams, and producing quality work in line with the overall program vision
- Provide useful updates to allow other managers to plan their business activities
- Work with internal and external customers to develop systems to meet required business specifications
- Act as a liaison with specified user areas
- Identify client software applications and hardware requirements
- Assist the scrum manager in performing required tests, installation procedures, and anything else required to complete sprints on time
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Familiarity with source code version control, preferably Git repos
- Familiarity with responsive design strategy and implementation (Hands-on experience a plus)
- Experience with an enterprise level application development
- Hands-on experience working within a scrum team
- Experience deploying cloud-based applications (Azure, GCP, Amazon preferred)
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 5+ years of UI software development and IA experience
- Knowledge of software development in public cloud environments (AWS preferred)
- Excellent time management and organization; able to handle pressure and meet deadlines
- Skill in prioritizing and triaging obligations
- Attention to detail
- Successful track record of meeting and exceeding goals
- Ability to achieve results while working independently
- Ability to travel on company business, attend client functions, and professionally represent the company
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other related fields like Electrical or Computer Engineering; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience working as a UI developer or highest-level technical contributor on enterprise software development teams
- 2 years of experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Review, Evaluate, and Validate technical requirement
- Experience with angular technologies
- Work with Product Owners and other team members to translate the requirements into final deliverables
- Understand Storyboards, Wireframes, Visual mockups, and other Media elements
- Understand and Utilize the latest tools, technologies, and trends in both Web and E-Learning development
- Ensure the deliverables meet ABC Company standards, and guidelines
- Responsible for designing, coding and modifying web pages that are focused on education content within the standards, guidelines, and requirements
- Work with Product Owners, Stakeholders and other team members as appropriate
- Understand and Utilize the tools and technologies being used
- Work with the SMEs to understand the requirements when appropriate
- Work with PM/IM to keep on track with the project plan, timeline, and billing
- Work with Learning Experience Designers to understand the storyboards and requirements
- Work with Visual Designers to gather wireframes, Visual Mockups, graphics, audio, video, and other UI elements
- Work with Quality Assurance (QA) team to get the product tested, address any issues
- Work with the Test and Publication team to get it hosted in an appropriate hosting environment
- At least 3 years experience with user interface application development
- At least 3 years of experience working in client services
- Experienced working with HMTL, CSS, JS, AngularJS
- Knowledge of the UX process, wireframing, and prototyping skills
- Knowledge of human interaction design
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan individual workload to meet deadlines
- Experience working in Agile environments
As a UI Developer, you will have the opportunity to develop, support, and maintain our websites. The team you will be working with is collaborative, hardworking, and values getting the job done well and meeting deadlines.
- Create HTML email templates for campaigns
- Collaborate with web designers to integrate and finish designs
- Coordinate feature development with back-end developers and web designers
- Perform cross-browser and cross-platform testing to ensure layout and functionality are displayed and work as intended
- Update content and visual designs on existing websites
- At times, you may enter data or other content into systems
- Significant experience in: HTML, CSS, Sass, ITCSS
- Understanding of usability and accessibility standards and testing
- 1-3 years of experience
- Knowledge of development best practices and coding standards, including cross-browser compatibility, and responsive development
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Front-End Web Development Graduate Certificate – This four-course certificate program, offered by Harvard, teaches you the fundamentals of UI development, including coding, designing, and understanding best practices for web design. Candidates have three years to complete the four courses with a B grade or higher.
- CareerFoundry UI Program – This five to nine-month program is perfect for beginners looking to make a career change. The entire course is taught online, with access to tutors and mentors along the way. Expect to spend between fifteen to thirty hours a week completing this program.
- Designlab UI Design Short Course – If candidates are mid-level design professionals looking to increase their skill set in UI development, this four-week course is perfect. The course requires between 15 and 20 hours a week of a candidate’s time and will help them advance their careers.
Sample Interview Questions
- Describe your design process for me.
- Are you able to describe your experience with building and designing user interfaces?
- What are your methods for ensuring user-centered design principles are followed in the design process?
- If you could share an example of a particularly challenging UI project you worked on and how you overcame the obstacles, what were they?
- Describe your understanding of responsive design and how you ensure cross-device compatibility.
- How do you stay on top of the latest UX design trends and technology advancements?
- Tell me about the most difficult project you’ve ever worked on.
- How do you manage your time to meet deadlines?
- Describe your process for testing and debugging your user interfaces and ensure they are user-friendly and functional.
- How do you make the websites you design accessible?
- Provide an example of a time you collaborated with a cross-functional team. How did you approach the collaboration process, and what was the outcome?