What Does an Email Marketing Specialist Do?
An email marketing specialist coordinates email strategies for an organization’s products or services. They identify a target audience for their brand, create email lists, and implement email marketing campaigns. They must have excellent written communication skills, exceptional proofreading and editing skills, and a high level of understanding of marketing messaging. They also evaluate and optimize email campaigns for more efficient delivery and higher open rates. Other typical duties of an email marketing specialist include maximizing revenue opportunities, maintaining and updating emails lists, and developing effective content marketing strategies to increase the company’s subscriber list.
Email marketing specialists must be creative, have excellent interpersonal skills, and have some technical aptitude to utilize databases for tracking leads. They should ensure that all email marketing campaigns conform to current email best practices in the industry. The ability to research, identify, and evaluate digital trends to create better engagements and new opportunities are key skills. Beyond their other responsibilities, email marketing specialists need to be proficient with a variety of applications for email, scheduling, analytics, and automation.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Email marketing specialist salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Email Marketing Specialist is:
Email Marketing Specialist Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an email marketing specialist. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
[Your Company Name] is in search of a top-rated email marketing specialist. This candidate will be responsible for overseeing email marketing, demonstrating an ability to create accessible, engaging, and memorable texts, and conducting research to better comprehend consumers. Duties include reviewing former campaigns to ascertain areas of strength and weakness, conceptualizing goals for marketing campaigns, creating well-written copy that is free from mistakes, collaborating with graphic designers, and maintaining a database of consumers who have opted to receive email correspondence. Knowledge of email marketing is a must, and knowing how to operate email databases and plan campaigns is essential. This candidate will have one or two years of experience in email marketing or another job-related field.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Identify target audience and grow email lists
- Design and implement direct email marketing campaigns
- Proofread emails for clarity, grammar, and spelling
- Ensure mobile-friendly email templates
- Write newsletter including all company updates
- Upgrade email templates using graphics, personalization, and advanced features
- Ensure prompt and accurate communication with clients via email to minimize unsubscribes
- Create and secure email databases for lead generation
- Report on sales revenue generated from email marketing efforts
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising/public relations, communications, or related field
- Preferred background in marketing research, analytics, customer service, email marketing software/ technology, and/ or writing
Required skills and qualifications
- Strong writing skills that attract customers and/or clients
- Hands-on experience with HTML and content management systems
- Proficiency in marketing automation technology
- Knowledge of SEO/SEM and Google Analytics
- Familiarity with analytical and database tools (Hubspot, MailChimp, SendinBlue, WixShoutout)
- Excellent written communication and copywriting skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- 1-3 years of experience producing and publishing email
- An ability to multitask and move fast while paying close attention to detail
- Strong communication skills within a fast-moving company environment
The Email Marketing Specialist is responsible for developing and executing the emails for triggered and transactional campaigns. We’re looking for a strong marketing background with experience in high volume sending. Knowledge of email execution/technology is secondary to the creative, offer driven focus we require.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of our triggered and transactional email program: including but not limited to abandon cart, abandon browse, welcome series, birthday, order confirmation, shipping confirmation, and more
- Develop, manage, and create a strong testing strategy for continuous improvement of all triggered/transactional campaigns
- Develop, manage, and create re-engagement series for optimum conversion of unengaged buyers and subscribers
- Collaborate with copy and design teams on creative execution of offers
- Responsible for analyzing email metrics to improve conversion and plan future strategies
- Manage and execute the testing process through our email service provider
- Responsible for being current on all direct marketing and email marketing best practices, CAN-SPAM, and GDPR compliance and applying that to direct marketing efforts
- Contributes to the success of the team by assisting in other duties defined by management
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- At least 2 years of Email Marketing and/or Direct Marketing experience preferred
- Demonstrated analytical analysis of results and strategic planning
- Experience working with an email service provider platform required
- Must be detail-oriented
- Positive attitude, self-motivated, creative individual
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to shift gears in a fast-paced environment are a must
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Required
The Email Marketing Specialist will be responsible for the development, delivery, and analysis of digital communications to achieve business goals. This role manages the deployment of campaigns and cross-channel communication journeys through Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Responsibilities and duties
- Responsible for utilizing ESP platforms (Salesforce Marketing Cloud) for creation, list management, deliverability, and distribution of emails
- Build, test, and execute email campaigns to nurture leads, drive sales, support owner initiatives, and increase membership utilization
- Drive email channel performance through an effective combination of content, segmentation, and personalization to achieve business objectives
- Develop dynamic email templates, which include responsive coding of emails using HTML and Ampscript
- Develop Salesforce Marketing Cloud journeys and campaigns to deliver multi-touch communications
- Maintain standard methodologies for Marketing Automation Platforms, including troubleshooting, naming conventions, list management, etc.
- Coordinate sends for ad hoc emails and customer journeys
- Proof and test campaigns; UAT testing
- Ensure Salesforce Marketing Cloud best practices are met and delivered
- Manage email campaigns across the marketing calendar
- Maintain best-in-class standards for CAN-SPAM email compliance
Key skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Computer Science, or another relevant field preferred
- 3+ years of experience with email marketing with at least 2 years of experience with an enterprise-level email service platform
- Salesforce Marketing Cloud experience strongly preferred, including experience with Journey Builder, Email Studio, and Automation Studio
- Proficient in HTML, CSS, and Ampscript
- Salesforce Lightning and SQL experience is a plus
- Experience with customer segmentation and performance marketing; experience initiating and executing projects and campaigns through a customer-first strategy
- Must be comfortable and effective in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Successful candidates will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, will be self-motivated and able to achieve goals with minimal supervision, and will enjoy working both independently and in collaboration with other team members
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with Google Analytics is a plus
- Experience in the timeshare/vacation ownership industry is a plus
The Email Specialist will be responsible for the development and deployment of all email marketing collateral, including but not limited to email design/concepting, content creation, programming, audience segmentation, testing, scheduling, and reporting. This role will work closely with cross-functional departments to ensure brand integrity and consistent messaging across all channels and campaigns. This person will be responsible for adhering to all email best practices and guidelines. They will work closely with the CRM team to ensure our email marketing efforts are optimized, meeting engagement KPI targets, and reaching the right person, at the right time, with the right message.
- Support the email marketing campaign production process and execution of the CRM marketing calendar
- Responsible for design, content management, and execution of all email marketing collateral
- Comply with all email best practices and guidelines
- Execute robust A/B testing strategies to optimize our marketing communications and increase engagement/performance
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support multi-channel campaign efforts to achieve company goals and drive results
- Track and analyze results of campaigns to drive future strategy and identify opportunities for growth
- Promote and foster a “learning culture” by monitoring latest industry thinking and innovation to inform direction for future strategies/plans
- Other duties as assigned
- 1-3+ years of experience designing and building marketing campaigns, creating content, executing campaign automations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- College degree in marketing, communications, or related subject
- Demonstrated ability using creative design software such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, or related products to build sophisticated marketing campaigns
- Experience building HTML email campaigns through an Email Service Provider
- Experience creating, editing, and problem-solving responsive HTML/CSS code preferred
- Proven ability to execute A/B testing strategies and dynamic content
- Understanding of privacy laws such as CASL, GDPR, etc.
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Digital Marketing Bootcamp. This course is offered by the University of Denver through a virtual classroom experience. In the Digital Marketing Bootcamp, candidates will learn how to create and execute successful marketing strategies, email marketing, gain real-world experience using tools and technologies such as Google Analytics and WordPress, and benefit from a wide range of career services to help equip them for success.
- Certified Email Marketing Master. Digital Marketer offers a course and certification in email marketing. This is completed online in 7 modules, with 46 videos, 4 handouts, and 7 quizzes. Upon successful completion of this course, candidates will receive a badge certifying them as an email marketing specialist which they can display on their website, email signature, or LinkedIn profile, a digital certificate and a printable certificate certifying them with completion of the course and as a Certified Email Marketing Specialist.
How to Hire an Email Marketing Specialist
When hiring an email marketing specialist, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Hire an experienced freelancer
The freelance, or gig, economy continues to grow, with more talent available daily. Freelancers provide high-quality work without a long-term commitment. They can offer you a fresh perspective, more flexibility, and increase efficiency. While the freelance market isn’t ideal for every position, email marketing specialists are often a great fit.
We recommend this option when:
- Your need is project-based
- The work can be performed remotely
- You do not intend to direct the daily work activity
- You are hiring for expertise your internal team does not possess
- You do not require an employee to work onsite or follow a specific schedule
We recommend using either Upwork, Fiverr, or both.
Upwork is a freelance talent network that helps individuals connect with experts in a variety of fields to accomplish project-based needs. When you have a specific, well-defined goal in mind, this can be a great path to hiring an experienced email marketing specialist. If you are satisfied with the outcome you can continue to book the same freelancer through Upwork’s easy-to-use project interface.
The freelance platform Fiverr can be a great place to find someone to do email marketing for you. Their easy-to-use platform helps you connect with vetted experts, execute every project, and expand your team capabilities. Their freelancers cover a wide range of areas your business can take advantage of.
3. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder when hiring an email marketing specialist:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
4. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- In your own words, what does an email marketing specialist do?
- From start to finish, how do you create an effective email marketing campaign?
- What are your metrics for measuring success in A/B testing in email marketing?
- How have you used email marketing automation tools in your work?
- What measures do you take to ensure compliance with GDPR and other compliance regulations in email marketing?
- Could you give an example of a successful email marketing campaign you have created?
- What criteria do you use to segment email lists?
- Do you take any steps to ensure high deliverability rates for your emails?
- What resources do you use to stay on top of the latest trends and best practices in email marketing?
- In what ways have you used email marketing data to inform future campaigns?