What Does a Revit Technician Do?
Construction Revit technicians use computer modeling software to create technical drawings and three-dimensional building designs. They work closely with architects and engineers to develop plans for clients. Revit technicians need to have excellent artistic, technical, and computer skills.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Revit technician salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Revit Technician is:
Revit Technician Job Descriptions
- Conceptual Design
- Produces preliminary drawings and other design information at the Group Lead or Design Engineer’s direction
- Understand and adhere to the basis of design for assigned projects
- Detailed Design
- Analysis Ability
- Performs dimensional, interference, and basic design checks on layouts and sketches as requested
- Designing for Safety incorporated into drawings
- Participates in coordination review sessions
- Uses ABC Company standards and procedures
- Corrects drawings from annotated mark-ups
- Coordinates and checks own work carefully to minimize all deficiencies, errors, and omissions
- Maintains discipline project drawing files for assigned projects
- Construction Documents
- Produces well-organized, finished drawings of good appearance, accuracy, clarity, and correctness from layouts, sketches, and verbal and/or written instructions
- Construction Support
- Produces field order documents at the direction of the Group Lead or Design Engineer
- Planning, Scheduling, and Profitability
- Meets scheduled key dates
- Discusses progress regularly with Licensed Professional of Record
- Utilizes time efficiently
- Advises Design Manager of changes
- Participation in BID-issued revisions to confirm project scope compliance with drawings
- Project Management
- Records notes of meetings and telephone conversations and reviews with AE Project leadership
- Adheres to established company standards and policies
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Technical associates degree preferred
- Technical training in applicable discipline design
Specific knowledge, skills, and certifications:
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and Revit
- Able to organize information received, be thorough in addressing tasks, and be organized in the presentation of information
- Able to visualize verbal directions in 3D
Environmental factors and/or physical requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, this position is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, and arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment, and read application/form information. The associate frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear.
Want a dynamic, fast-paced, fun experience? ABC Company is looking for an experienced Revit Technician to join our future-forward retail team. Work with iconic clients on a range of projects – from the ground up to remodels and everything in between. You will be translating great consumer brands into shopping experiences, assisting on projects from schematic design through construction. Specific responsibilities include the preparation of construction documents using Revit, communication with the Project Team, and BIM coordination across disciplines. Joining our team means that you do not take yourself too seriously, work hard/play hard and are equally comfortable leading as well as doing.
What ABC Company is looking for:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with a strategic, big-picture perspective
- Ability to both multitask and be organized
- Master of architectural drafting
- Working knowledge of building codes
- Working knowledge of building design and detailing
- Ability to mentor staff and work independently
- Ability to create BIM content
- Commitment to team success
What ABC Company has to offer:
- Opportunities to work hybrid/remote
- A Historic building with a modernized office environment
- A casual and energetic office environment
- A talented, playful, and inclusive team
- Flexible hours with a focus on work-life balance (and the team to support it)
- Competitive compensation packages
- Technical, Associate, or Bachelor of Architecture Degree
- Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit for Architectural Design is a plus
- 5+ years of professional experience in an architecture firm preferred
- Master in Revit
- Proficiency in BIM 360 is a plus
- Proficiency in Bluebeam is a plus
Since 1983, ABC Company has provided total design solutions for commercial, retail, religious, automotive, and industrial clients. We are currently seeking an innovative and productive individual to join our team.
Successful candidates will be required to:
- Transform conceptual/schematic designs using Revit into working construction documents
- Be able to review drawings to ensure adherence to established specifications and standards, as well as perform routine drafting and technical tasks as required throughout the project duration
- Participate in the preparation of schematic design, design development, construction documentation, and any additional drawing
- Maintain quality standards, format special requirements, etc. as mandated by office production standards
- Coordinate working drawing information with related outsources and consultants
- Create 3D perspectives
- A minimum of 3-5 years of architectural drafting/design experience within the commercial or retail industries is preferred
- The job requires a high level of proficiency with Revit
How to Hire a Revit Technician
When hiring a Revit technician, first consider the following:
- Recruiting: Do you have the knowledge, tools, and resources to attract and screen candidates?
- Complexity: Do you need a senior professional, or will mid or junior-level skills and experience suffice?
- Duration: Is this a one-time project or an ongoing need?
- Management: Do you have the time and expertise to direct the work effectively?
- Urgency: How soon does the work need to be completed?
- Headcount: Do you have the budget and approval for an internal employee, or should you consider alternate options?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring need. Fortunately, great options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
The heavy lifting is done for you when working with a top-tier staffing company like 4 Corner Resources. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), saving you significant time and effort throughout the hiring process while you remain focused on your core business. Understanding your needs and ensuring the right candidate for the position is the key to our success.
This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You want access to a vast talent pool of high-quality, prescreened candidates
- Your position is suited for temporary hiring services, contract staffing, or contract-to-hire recruiting, and you intend to direct the work activity.
- You are hiring an employee as a direct placement but aren’t able to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff.
- You aren’t familiar with current salary rates, market trends, and available skill sets
2. Advertise your opening on a top job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
There are many career sites out there. Here are the two we recommend for a Revit technician opening:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
LinkedIn is a social network for job seekers, professionals, and businesses. With this popular job site, you can enhance your brand and advertise your open position to a wide audience of motivated, qualified candidates. Job postings on LinkedIn are also extremely streamlined and user-friendly, making it even easier for candidates to apply. Additionally, applicants can use their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume to expedite the process.
3. Leverage your internal resources
You can utilize your own website, social media, and employees to assist in your search for top candidates.
A company website posting should be the first step in notifying prospective candidates that you are hiring. Social media can also be a powerful tool for spreading the word about your new opening. As far as exposure is concerned, this option can be as good as some job boards when you have a large enough following across various platforms, like LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and Twitter.
Current employees are every organization’s greatest asset. Encourage your internal team to promote job openings to their network by offering cash and other incentives.
We recommend these options when:
- Your brand has great name recognition
- You can consistently monitor and respond to candidate activity through your website and social media accounts
- You have a process in place to quickly and broadly communicate job openings and requirements
- You have an effective employee referral program in place
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What do you expect you will like about working as a Revit technician?
- What qualities does a good Revit technician have?
- Where do you see your career heading in the next five years?
- Do you like working with professionals across other disciplines?
- What do you like about working as a Revit technician?
- What do you not like about working as a Revit technician?
- What are the advantages of using Revit software for architecture?
- How can you define the level in Revit architecture?
- How can you create floor and structural columns in Revit architecture?
- Tell me about a time when your actions didn’t line up with your core values.
- What is your ideal workspace environment?
- Can you explain work sharing?
- Why do you need to be cautious when deleting levels in Revit?
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake. How did you handle it?
- You will need to be good at communication in this role. Describe a time you used excellent communication.