An oral surgeon performs corrective and therapeutic procedures on the mouths and jaws of their patients. Within the broader field of dentistry, these medical specialists work together with other dentists, surgeons, and orthodontists. They spend most of their time in a dental office with an outpatient surgery suite, occasionally working in hospitals for more complicated operations.
Oral surgeons must be licensed to practice, and need excellent attention to detail. Surgeries will likely be scheduled, but emergencies may arise therefore flexible working hours should be expected as an oral surgeon. A successful oral surgeon will have wonderful bedside manner, outstanding hand-eye coordination, and remarkable dexterity.
Sample job description #1
ABC Company affiliated offices in Baltimore are seeking a dedicated Oral Surgeon who is committed to excellence and understand the nature of teamwork.
At ABC Company, we support our practices, by supporting and empowering them to stay focused and committed to quality care. We’re a collective support system for our providers, committed to improving the health of our patients and the communities we serve. A sum that’s greater than its parts. An ever-growing network and support system.
As a specialist you will experience the support of a highly trained team of experienced professionals.
- Provide oral surgical specialized clinical care
- Educate patients on oral health and treatment options
- Provide OMFS services and treatment plans as prescribed by examination and x-rays
- Examine, diagnose, and treat wide spectrum of oral and maxillofacial health problems including; dental implants, 3rd molar removal, and corrective jaw surgery
- Utilize techniques designed to rebuild bone structure with minimal surgical intervention and optimal patient comfort
- Maintain the highest standards of ethics and professionalism while providing treatment
- Remain apprised of current technologies and standards of care through CE and professional development
- DDS/DMD from an accredited Dental School
- Certificate from an accredited US Oral Surgery Residency Program
- Active Dental License in the state of practice
Sample job description #2
As a licensed dentist, an oral surgeon treats conditions, defects, injuries, and esthetic aspects of the mouth, teeth, jaws, and face.
Duties and responsibilities
- Treat conditions, defects, injuries, and esthetic aspects of the mouth, teeth, jaws, and face.
- Examine patients to determine the nature of the condition affecting the patient, utilizing x-rays, dental instruments and other diagnostic procedures.
- Perform removal of diseased and impacted teeth.
- Place implants used to replace missing teeth.
- Administer anesthesia services.
- Provide preventive dental services and education in oral and dental hygiene.
- Supervise office staff, including hygienists, dental assistants, receptionists and other office staff.
- Adheres to safety protocols and processes including but not limited to ensuring protective equipment is utilized and OSHA/Bloodborne pathogen requirements are followed.
- Participate in morning huddles, chart reviews and routine office meetings.
- All other duties and responsibilities allowed under applicable state laws and regulations.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Commitment to quality patient care and enjoy educating patients on dental health.
- Effective communication skills; demonstrates professional and courteous demeanor with patients.
- DDS or DMD degree, licensed in state in which practicing or have the ability to obtain licensure upon graduation.
- Completion of an oral surgery residency program.
- Current Advance Life Support (ALS) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
- Oral Surgeons work in areas that are highly visible and designed and furnished to make a good impression.
- Most work stations are clean, well-lighted, and relatively quiet.
- Work is sedentary in nature.
Sample job description #3
The Oral Surgeon will provide outpatient dental services to patients, precept residents and assist the Dental Director when needed in specified areas as indicated.
- Provide direct and comprehensive oral surgery care, including consultation, extractions( complicated and simple), biopsies, disease and trauma management etc.
- Refers patients to appropriate dental or medical specialties when indicated.
- Obtains medical and nursing consultation when necessary in addressing total needs of patients.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date patient records.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- D.D.S. or D.M.D. from an accredited dental school.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience as a general dentist preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership, supervisory, clinical, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated interest in employment in a community health center.
- Bi-lingual Spanish preferred
- Demonstrated experience with dental electronic medical record preferred.
- NYS License
Sample interview questions
- Describe a time when you collaborated with other professionals, such as dentists or orthodontists, to develop a treatment plan for a patient. Was it successful?
- What recommendations do you make to aid your patients’ recovery after surgery?
- Describe your most successful medical case to date. What factors contributed to your success?
- How do you stay up to date with new treatments and advancements in oral surgery?
- You administer the incorrect dose of a general anesthetic to a patient. How do you correct the situation without causing further harm?
- Provide an example of a time when you had to give bad news to a patient.
- If a patient needed to have multiple procedures, how would you schedule them to minimize the patient’s overall time away from work?
- We want our oral surgeons to be able to perform complex procedures. How would you perform a maxillary osteotomy?
- Describe your process for preparing a patient for surgery.
- Which surgical procedures are you most excited to perform here?