What Does a Chief of Staff Do?
The chief of staff (CoS) is an executive position that supports other, more senior, executives in their roles. They typically report directly to the top executive in an organization to assist in overseeing a company’s internal operations. In this capacity, the CoS is responsible for planning and managing all the CEO’s administrative, financial, and operational activities while acting in an advisory role for important decisions about the business.
The chief of staff exists to ensure the company’s daily operations run smoothly. This position requires strong leadership, communication, organizational, and decision-making skills. Success in the role may lead to higher positions, such as vice president or chief operating officer (COO).
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Chief of staff salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Chief of Staff is:
Chief of Staff Job Descriptions
Creating the perfect chief of staff job description is the first step in making an exceptional new hire. To help with your recruiting efforts, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
Chief of Staff (generic)
[Your Company Name] is searching for an experienced chief of staff to join our team and help lead our company to the next level. To be considered an ideal candidate, you must be a self-starter and strategic thinker who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers timely results. You should be adept at navigating complex business and management challenges. It’s vital that you are a team player and can collaborate with a variety of business partners. Preferably, you’ll have at least 5-10 years of experience in a related field of business management, assisting an executive of the C-level.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Gate-keeping and overseeing the flow of communication between others and the executive that you are responsible for
- Assisting with and ultimately ensuring the completion of projects by the given deadlines
- Act as a liaison between executives and all other departments/levels
- Keep the executive organized and aware of any schedule changes
- Ability to make good decisions quickly on behalf of the executive if they are not available
- Keep up to date on industry trends
- Assist in keeping executives aware of ongoing company initiatives, promotions, and marketing initiatives
- Plan events, if needed
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized while working with a fast-paced team, often under pressure
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Must have great interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with employees of all levels
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field, such as finance, logistics, or economics
- Master’s degree preferred, but not required
- 5-10 years of relevant experience
Required skills and qualifications
- Experience directing and organizing multiple departments and teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Very versatile, able to complete tasks efficiently and effectively
- Experience leading and planning strategic initiatives
- Experience with budget management
- Experience with data analysis
- Consulting experience with an operations management focus
- Experience in a project coordination role with proven success
- Adaptable business mind with the ability to think critically
Junior Chief of Staff
[Company Name] seeks a highly organized, detail-oriented, personable, intelligent, and dedicated junior chief of staff. This person must be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and execute projects efficiently. Setting and maintaining the image of the executive office is very important. This individual will be outgoing, articulate, and a multi-tasker with a “can-do” service-oriented attitude. The successful individual will anticipate when assistance is needed by identifying issues and solutions before being asked. An ability to juggle multiple projects, strong Microsoft skills, and good judgment are expected. This person must also be an effective communicator and be able to collaborate with the CEO, vice president of human resources, and the management team. They must also be able to work closely with other administrators.
- With minimal guidance, the ideal candidate will assume responsibility for planning, organizing, and executing projects of varying sizes and complexities.
- Provide high-level administrative support to the executive team, including managing calendars, scheduling meetings, creating agendas, and ensuring team members are prepared for said meetings.
- Prepare and deliver high-quality presentations, reports, and briefings to senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Maintain purchasing and engineering files and records, ensuring proper document management and adherence to company policies.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings, conferences, and special events, handling logistics and providing necessary materials and support.
- Assist with orientation of new team members as they join the finance and Ooperations departments as needed.
- Manage the executive’s expenses by accurately tracking and reconciling receipts and invoices.
- Manage the executive’s communication and correspondence as needed.
- Conduct research and compile data to assist with decision-making and strategic planning.
- Handle sensitive information with discretion and professionalism, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- The duties listed are not inclusive of all functions/responsibilities of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- 7+ years’ experience supporting a CEO and other senior executives
- Assertive, take-charge personality
- Strong project management and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with a proven ability to plan, prioritize, and organize effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong PC proficiency in software applications to include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- High competency in navigating and using the Internet
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Experienced at handling confidential matters and how to handle sensitive situations. This position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
- Strong problem-solving ability, should be a “self-starter” who is inquisitive, intuitive, and multi-tasked oriented
- Efficient and effective time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing obligations as required
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Builds relationships and trust well
- Embraces and drives change
- Communicate effectively
Chief of Staff to EVP
ABC Company has experienced a remarkable period of growth as a direct result of increased efficiency, productivity, and teamwork. To continue on this trajectory, we’re searching for a highly qualified Chief of Staff to report directly to our Executive Vice President and work closely with our executive team. From day one, the Chief of Staff will immediately impact our productivity, streamlining strategic initiatives, overseeing program management, and communicating objectives between departments. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in a business leadership/management role, with a special focus on executive-level advising, project execution, and key interdepartmental collaboration. Ultimately, the primary function of this role is to ensure everything runs smoothly throughout company operations for their executive leaders.
- Oversee strategic business initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of leadership and departmental heads
- Assist the executive team members in determining and prioritizing business strategies based on their schedules
- Assist and communicate with executives in decision-making, program management, and initiative implementation
- Review, design, and execute improvements to org structure find knowledge and skills gaps and help address them
- Improve current processes and coordinate organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Serve as liaison between staff, managers, and senior executives regarding company climate, employee well-being, project updates, proposals, and planning
- Oversee daily operations through collaboration with the EVP team and department leaders, performing an array of administrative tasks from managing calendars, generating correspondence
- Build and develop relationships with all employees of the companies for increased efficiency and effective responsiveness into existing operations, and help to define new operational strategies, working with our EVP and executive teams on special projects
- Serve as a subject matter expert, handling inquiries and developing action plans to address them, and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of communications
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in Business Administration or a similar field
- 5+ years in a business or management role
- Proven experience organizing and directing multiple teams and departments
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form with a strong focus on interdepartmental communication
- Extremely versatile, dedicated to efficient productivity
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives
- Experience with data analysis
- Experience with budget management
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
Chief of Staff to CHRO
The chief of staff is a member of our human resources (HR) Leadership Team, reporting to our chief human resources officer (CHRO), and will be responsible for planning and directing all administrative, financial, and day to day activities driven by and in support of the office of the CHRO. This leader will serve as a key strategic and execution-focused leader to the CHRO and the broader HR executive leadership Team. They will be focused on influencing leadership at all levels of HR to deliver on strategic and operational goals for the HR Function with a planned and thoughtful approach, on schedule, and within budget.
This leader will work closely with our HR Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and across the HR Senior Leadership Group (SLG). This includes the Heads of HR (HR leaders aligned to our business lines, functions, and Europe), Head of Strategy, Operations, and Services, and our Heads of Global HR Centers of Excellence (COEs), such as Human Resources Advisory Services, Enterprise Recruiting, Total Rewards, Learning & Development, and Talent & Culture Enablement.
The incumbent will be responsible for partnering with Finance for day-to-day budget management, supporting HR Strategy, Operations, and Services (SOS) with efforts around all strategic investment requests, and identifying and implementing solutions to close potential budget gaps. In addition, they will have responsibility for the HR management ecosystem, including managing the cadence and organization of HR leadership meetings and offsites for the ELT, SLG, and broader HR Function. They will also partner and support HR SOS in contributing to the strategic planning process, personally driving assigned initiatives, while working across the organization to deliver against all tactics and efforts associated with our HR strategic initiatives.
This leader needs to understand the overarching HR strategy and how it enables the business strategy, ultimately having necessary knowledge and expertise to translate the strategy into actions focused on empowering and enabling our workforce to deliver against our business priorities. The role requires a strong leader who is fully competent in most areas of Human Resources, project management, agile methodology, and program management, and they must be passionate about empowering and enabling our HR leaders, while consistently demonstrating a continuous improvement mindset and unwavering strive for excellence.
- Optimizes and orchestrates the management ecosystem for the HR function, helping the HR Leadership Team with meeting cadence to work efficiently and effectively.
- Works closely with the CHRO’s Executive Assistant, at times providing work direction, coordinating, and prioritizing the calendar of the CHRO, ensuring time and efforts are maximized for optimal output. Includes partnering with HR Communications and coordinating townhall and employee meetings across our footprint for HR employees and broader U.S. Bank employee base.
- Acts as a communications champion across the HR leadership team, relaying information between CHRO and the HR Executive Leadership Team when needed, and across the broader HR Senior Leadership Group.
- Partners closely with the Head of HR Strategy, Operations, and Services and their team, to fully capture, leverage, and utilize data and analytics to drive organizational performance against strategic initiatives and operational priorities.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement, and develop and drive tactics that improve workflow, teamwork, organizational performance, and budget management.
- Effectively leads new and/or special initiatives, identifying risks, cost, and work to achieve it, which may include delegation to HR leaders and their respective teams.
- Takes ownership of ongoing emerging and/or unplanned initiatives associated with the HR Function, leading efforts through completion, or assigning to other designated leaders or team as needed.
- Plays key role in planning and coordinating all ELT and SLG leadership sessions and offsites and plays role in facilitating weekly team huddles and other meetings as needed.
- Oversees daily operations of the office of the CHRO, which may include working with HR leaders on initiative coordination or business administration activities.
- Partners with Finance to manage day-to-day budget planning and forecasting in alignment with Annual Plan and supports HR SOS on work associated with strategic capital investment requests for the HR function.
- Collaborates closely with key HR leaders and other stakeholders across the organization with a continuous improvement mindset, understanding opportunities and creating solutions.
- Work closely with key partners and stakeholders, preparing necessary materials, documents, and reports for key audiences, such as the Managing Committee, Board, etc.
- Coach and mentor talent across the HR organization, acting as a talent champion for the function, working closely with all ELT members and key partners.
- Drive assigned work with focus on effectiveness, simplicity, and efficiency, removing roadblocks and eliminating bureaucracy at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor or graduate degree in business, human resources, education, or related field, or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Ten plus years of Human Resources (HR), operational, business, and/ or managerial experience.
- Deep knowledge of HR leadership and practices in financial services or highly regulated industry or field.
- Business and HR leader with progressive experience working at both a strategic and executional level, consulting with executive level leaders, and operating in a matrix-based environment.
- Ability to think and process information as a strategic thought partner, while translating this strategic vision into action.
- INFLUENCE: Proven history of leading and/or influencing senior leaders and teams by proven results driven through excellent leadership in action.
- BUDGET MANAGEMENT: Experience analyzing data, providing solutions, and recommend action, and regulating spend as it related to overall budget.
- PROBLEM SOLVING: Problem solving orientated, with the ability to recognize needs, anticipate issues, and develop solutions using strong analytical, business knowledge, and financial acumen.
- STRATEGIC THINKING: Strategic thought leader that proactively responds to changing business needs and objectives, while considering HR implications of business or people related decisions and actions.
- COMMUNICATION: Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively build and articulate messages with story-telling technics and detailed points of view.
- INTERPERSONAL: Outstanding interpersonal, influence-management, and communication skills, particularly in building relationships with business leaders and key stakeholders and presenting to senior leaders.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Experience in developing strategies and providing work direction and guidance to a broader team or organization. Ability to make sense out of complex situations, demonstrating intellectual curiosity, and driving outcomes with appropriate levels of governance and controls.
- PROCESS IMPROVEMENT: Expert level skills in lean six sigma, continuous improvement, and data analytics and management, amongst other process improvement skills.
- MICROSOFT OFFICE: Expert-level proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, Visio, and Teams.
Chief of Staff to CIO
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced chief of staff to support our chief information officer (CIO) in overseeing our technology and information management functions. The Chief of Staff will act as a strategic partner and advisor to the CIO, ensuring smooth operations, effective communication, and efficient decision-making within the IT department. This is a key leadership role requiring exceptional organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills, as well as a deep understanding of technology and business processes.
- Required Work Experience
- 5 years of Information Technology management or project management experience
- 5 years of experience in developing short and long range strategic plans, forecasting, and budgeting
- 2 year of project management experience
- Required Education
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing, public health, healthcare administration, business administration, or related field
- Preferred Work Experience
- 7 years of Information Technology management or project management experience
- 7 years of experience in developing short and long-range strategic plans, forecasting, and budgeting
- Preferred Education
- Master’s degree in information technology, healthcare administration, business administration, or related field
- Preferred Certifications
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP)
Essential Job Functions And Responsibilities
- Strategic Partnership: Collaborate closely with the CIO to develop and execute the IT department’s strategic vision, goals, and initiatives.
- Operational Excellence: Ensure the efficient functioning of the IT department by optimizing processes, identifying areas for improvement, and implementing best practices.
- Communication and Coordination: Facilitate communication between the CIO and other stakeholders, including executive leadership, department heads, and external partners. Coordinate meetings, prepare agendas, and provide timely follow-up.
- Decision Support: Conduct research, gather data, and provide analysis to support the CIO in making informed decisions related to technology investments, resource allocation, and risk management.
- Project Management: Oversee the execution of key IT projects and initiatives, monitoring progress, identifying potential risks, and ensuring alignment with organizational goals and timelines. Monitor projects, ensuring the program meets milestones, deliverables, budget, and objectives.
- Team Leadership: Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to the IT department staff, fostering a collaborative and high-performing team culture.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, representing the CIO’s interests and promoting effective collaboration across departments.
- Policy and Compliance: Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards related to information security, data privacy, and technology governance.
- Reporting and Analytics: Develop and maintain executive-level reports and dashboards to provide visibility into the IT department’s performance, metrics, and KPIs.
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Strong written and verbal communications.
- Intermediate PC proficiency.
- Intermediate skill in use of office equipment, including copiers, fax machines, scanner and telephones.
- Intermediate skill in word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Experience in application development strategies and technologies.
- Experience in developing and executing IT strategy in a corporate environment.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and contribute to the delivery of multiple technology projects.
- Experience working with high volume, transactional, large capacity systems in a 24×7 environment.
- Required Professional Competencies
- Management skills in an operationally changing environment, with drive for results and success based on planned objectives.
- Management skills to lead effectively during ambiguity, while providing clarity for the path forward. Drive cultural and operational change that results best practice, efficient enterprise project portfolio management, strategic
- planning technology roadmaps, and system development lifecycle execution.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for harmonious relationships with providers, members and coworkers.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and creative problem solving techniques in a highly complex environment using leading-edge technology and or/integrating diverse technology applications.
- Strong business acumen and experience communicating, networking, and influencing at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to present and translate highly technical capabilities to business leaders in a way to gain understanding and to conceptualize business value.
- Recognize strategic opportunities and use data to make timely and sound decisions.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to shifting demands/priorities.
- Ability and experience to assimilate multiple new functions, services, projects, and systems while maintaining existing systems and programs.
- Required Leadership Experience and Competencies
- High standard of performance while pursuing aggressive goals
- Principled leadership and sound business ethics
Chief of Staff to CTO
We are seeking a dynamic and strategic Chief of Staff and Business Operations Leader to support our Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at [Company Name]. This multifaceted role will play a critical part in ensuring the smooth operation of the CTO’s office, optimizing business processes, facilitating talent management across the CTO organization, and overseeing general administrative duties. The ideal candidate will possess a unique combination of leadership, operational expertise, and administrative acumen.
- Strategic Support: Collaborate with the CTO to develop and execute strategic plans that align with the company’s vision, mission, and objectives. Assist in setting priorities, defining key performance indicators (KPIs), and tracking progress towards established goals.
- Business Operations: Streamline and optimize operational processes across the technology division, ensuring efficient resource allocation, effective project management, and continuous improvement. Identify opportunities to enhance operational efficiency and implement best practices to support sustainable growth.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Facilitate seamless communication and coordination between the CTO and other departments, promoting a culture of collaboration and information sharing. Act as a liaison between the CTO’s office and senior management, promoting alignment and driving successful execution of initiatives.
- Budget and Resource Management: Partner with finance on budget planning and resource allocation. Work closely with finance and HR teams to ensure appropriate allocation of funds and staffing to support key projects and operational needs.
- Performance Tracking and Reporting: Develop and maintain reporting mechanisms to track the progress and impact of technology initiatives. Present regular updates and reports to senior management and the executive team.
- Talent Management: Partner with HR to facilitate talent management across the CTO organization. Collaborate on recruitment, onboarding, talent development, performance management, and succession planning initiatives. Support the CTO in fostering a positive and inclusive work environment that attracts, retains, and develops top talent.
- Administrative Duties:
- Schedule and manage the CTO’s calendar, coordinating meetings, appointments, and travel arrangements.
- Prepare and organize materials for meetings, presentations, and conferences.
- Manage communications on behalf of the CTO, including emails, calls, and correspondence.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Technology Management, or a related field. An MBA or other relevant advanced degree is a plus.
- Proven experience in a leadership role, preferably as a Chief of Staff or Business Operations leader, supporting CTOs or other senior executives.
- Strong understanding of the healthcare industry and technology landscape, with a focus on health plan operations and managed care organizations.
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to navigate complex challenges and drive results.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, capable of collaborating with diverse stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient in data analysis, using metrics and KPIs to drive data-informed decision-making.
- Project management expertise, with a track record of successfully leading and executing cross-functional initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in budget planning and resource management.
- Thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, handling multiple priorities with efficiency and adaptability.
Chief of Staff to CEO
The Chief of Staff position is a critical and trusted leadership role as the strategic right-hand person to the CEO. In this role, you will help drive strategic business planning as we continue to double our growth year over year. This is a fast-paced, think-on-your-feet position as you interact and build key relationships with business leaders across the organization.
You will work closely with the CEO in the following ways:
- Serve as a trusted advisor and brainstorming partner
- Help lead and initiate new business processes throughout the organization
- Help strategic ideas take root and provide early facilitation
- Think strategically while providing tactical support to implement ideas
- Proactively address pressing business issues that need immediate attention
- Provide independent, informed, unbiased insight including feedback from the capabilities
- Own key initiatives on the corporate strategy map
- Proactively escalate and resolve potential issues by calling them to the attention of the department head and identifying potential solutions
- Work with leadership to deliver, monitor, and communicate progress on key organizational metrics aligned with our 5-year plan
- Drive a cohesive approach to key business activities including communications planning, training, and stakeholder management
- Build connections across all leaders of the organization
- Partner with the leadership team to define, prepare, and communicate organizational plans, including quarterly, annual, and 5-year strategy
- Support CEO in the preparation of board meetings and executive presentations
- Analyze and report performance based on strategies and business goals and recommend areas needing improvement
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Broad business experience driving execution and adoption of key strategic programs across large teams
- Ability to work in a flexible manner in line with the organization’s objectives and willingness to undertake other duties as reasonably requested
- Experience working in a fast paced, always-changing, entrepreneurial environment
- Project management skills and experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills
- Proven ability to develop and lead the implementation of communications strategy, policy, and operational plans, to a successful outcome
- Strong financial analysis, budget planning, and management experience and skills
- A dedicated professional who leads through ambiguity and independently runs projects with minimal direction
- Excellent interpersonal skills and executive presence
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a focus on structure and execution
- Force for change who is open to new insights accepts challenges and leads with positive energy
- Trusted professional with the ability to lead strong personalities and drive open items to effective resolution
- Ability to think and act creatively, championing and promoting new ideas that contribute to the goals of the organization and the department
- We are looking for a smart, fast learner who can quickly grow into a Chief of Staff or someone who has been operating in a similar role and can bring fresh thinking and perspective to how we are doing things
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional Certification: This certification is the world’s leading project management certification. They provide project leadership experience and they pride themselves on the ability to supercharge careers for project leaders. To get into this program candidates need to pass the PMP exam.
- Northwestern University’s Leadership Certificate: This program is designed to focus on people, change, and strategy. They provide real-life examples that give candidates the opportunity to gain hands-on learning experience. Candidates must complete three courses in order to attain this certificate.
- University of Oxford’s Chief of Staff Certification: This certification consists of a four-day residential program that takes place at the University of Oxford. This program features insights from many different leaders. Candidates are able to participate in discussions and debates and learn from world leaders. The program does cap at 40 students though, so it is extremely competitive.
How to Hire a Chief of Staff
There are a number of important initial considerations when hiring for this role:
- Recruiting: Do you possess the tools and resources to attract top candidates?
- Complexity: Does your internal team have the experience and knowledge required to recruit for the role?
- Urgency: How soon does this role need to be filled? Is there a negative impact to it remaining open?
- Privacy: Is the opening common knowledge, or does it require a confidential search?
Answering these questions will help determine the best course of action for your current hiring needs. Fortunately, options exist for every scenario. These are our recommendations:
1. Use a professional recruiting firm with relevant experience
When working with 4 Corner Resources, the heavy lifting is done for you. We source, screen, recruit, and deliver only the most qualified candidate(s), and can do so with the highest degree of discretion upon request. This is the best route to take when:
- You need to fill the position quickly
- You need to maintain confidentiality during the search process
- You are open to a retained agreement to facilitate an executive search
- You unable to recruit effectively or efficiently with your internal staff
2. Advertise confidentially on a job board
Your best option may be to advertise your opening on a proven job board. There are many widely used job sites out there that draw visits from qualified candidates. If you have someone internally who can dedicate the time and energy to sort through applications and screen individuals effectively, this can be a great choice.
We recommend using a job board when:
- Your internal recruiting team has the knowledge and experience to assess candidate qualifications
- You are hiring a direct employee and have time to manage the entire recruiting effort
- You have a process for receiving, screening, and tracking all resumes and applications
- You are prepared to respond to all applicants
We recommend using CareerBuilder for job postings:
CareerBuilder has been a trusted source for hiring since 1995. Reach 80+ million unique, diverse U.S. job seekers annually by posting your jobs through their talent acquisition channels. Through CareerBuilder, you can engage candidates and drive them into your sourcing pipeline. We recommend using CareerBuilder for hiring when you have the internal resources and processes to review, screen, and reply to all applicants.
3. Leverage your professional network
Gather a list of trusted industry peers who can maintain discretion while referring qualified candidates. We recommend this option when:
- You have a strong and loyal professional network
- You are not under a tight time constraint
- You do not need to maintain strict confidentiality
If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals. The 4 Corner team is on standby to help you find the best option for your unique hiring need.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is the most difficult part of being a chief of staff?
- What was your role in strategic planning at your last company?
- What is your way to show positive reinforcement when your staff does well?
- What is the most important skill to have as chief of staff in your opinion?
- In this position, you would be responsible for an executive’s schedule. What would you do if you were struggling to prioritize scheduling a particularly busy week?
- How do you keep track of important action items when delegating to other team members?
- In this role, you work as a strategic advisor to leaders in the company specifically for staffing and operations. Are you comfortable giving advice and feedback to your peers and/or your direct supervisor?
- What would you do if members of your team were failing to meet performance expectations?
- How do you plan to strengthen relationships within the company, specifically those of leaders and their employees?
- Are you open and able to take on additional duties to support the executives as things change during various busy seasons in the year?