What Does an Optical Sales Representative Do?
An optical sales representative promotes and sells eyewear products and services to customers. These professionals work in retail stores, medical offices, and online sales. It is essential that they are knowledgeable about eyewear products, including frames, lenses, and accessories. In addition, they should have strong customer service and communication skills in order to help customers find the right products for their needs.
An optical sales representative must possess excellent interpersonal skills, as well as excellent sales and marketing abilities. It is essential that they understand and meet the needs of each customer, as well as communicate the features and benefits of various eyewear products. Furthermore, they must understand insurance and payment options, as well as carry out financial transactions accurately and efficiently.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Optical sales representative salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for an Optical Sales Representative is:
Optical Sales Representative Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring an optical sales representative. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Improving healthcare through innovative optical technology is at the core of ABC company’s work. Our scalable medical imaging platform connects clinicians to robust imaging that is fast, smart, and tapped into the data they need, no matter their location. We’re focused on delivering a best-in-class medical image management solution that improves provider efficiency, decreases healthcare costs, and improves populations’ overall health.
The Optical Imaging Solution Salesperson will be responsible for developing relationships with leaders in the healthcare industry and communicating ABC company’s value proposition. The Optical Imaging Solution Salesperson’s responsibilities will include prospecting and identifying key executives at healthcare companies to lay the foundation for a strong, long-lasting relationship.
- Identify, research, and develop new partnership prospects
- Develop and qualify opportunities within mid and large healthcare enterprises
- Create and execute compelling presentations to engage new potential partners
- Understand and communicate the full sales cycle, from building awareness and generating leads
- Scale processes including lead generation, sales presentations, recruiting, and more
- BA/BS degree required
The Optical Sales Representative is responsible for achieving or exceeding sales and service goals within hospitals, optometry, and ophthalmologist offices within their assigned territory, through the effective selling and promoting our solutions and services to existing and potential new customers within the framework of organizational policies and directives.
- Develop and implement a sales plan for existing and new customers, and assess their needs and characteristics. Present appropriate, products, solutions, and services
- Analyze and assess customer and territory sales trends. Plan sales activity based on territory needs to ensure that territory attains or exceeds assigned monthly, quarterly, and/or annual sales goals
- Identify and maintain regular contact with prospective customers; develop and implement creative strategies aimed at converting these prospective customers from competition to a new customer
- Maintain regular contact with existing customers to strengthen relationships and ensure satisfaction with products, solutions and services offered; implement and monitor creative marketing activities aimed at expanding/growing core business
- Develop and maintain relationships with key influential thought leaders. Utilize these relationships to expand market share
- Develop and maintain accurate customer files and records in order to have complete up-to-date customer information, which can be shared among the (local) organization
- Report to the management about any product issues, loss or potential loss of key customers, or competitive sales strategies that negatively or positively affect local sales
- Study and stay informed on products, technologies, clinical studies, competitive activity, and other general information of interest to company or to customers. Apply this knowledge for your strategies and tactics to develop your commercial activity
- Act as a key expert/resource to the field sales team, customers, and non-customers
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of all company policies and procedures and demonstrate the ability to effectively implement them at the territory level
- Establish and maintain a travel schedule that will allow consistent contact with existing and potential customers
- Complete all administrative paperwork in a timely manner
- Participate in national and local trade shows and company meetings as appropriate. Support established educational programs when territory customers are attending. Education managers may communicate with representatives when they are needed
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred; we will consider relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- 3-5 years of achievement-oriented sales experience within optical imaging
- Ability to travel within their assigned territory; valid driver’s license and clean record
- Demonstrated ability to digest, comprehend, and verbalize highly technical product and clinical information related to the company and industry products
- Demonstrated professional sales skills
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic to intermediate computer skills
ABC company, a leader in optical imaging is seeking an experienced optical sales representative to service optometrists, ophthalmologists, and opticians in (city, state).
- Deliver growth by regularly visiting existing customers
- Present new and current products to ensure brand visibility
- Work in the field with customers in their own offices Monday through Friday
- Effectively manage board space and support sell-through of product
- Prospect and develop new accounts within existing territory
- Provide exceptional customer service and “partner” with your customers
- Ability to actively close sales
- Ability to utilize reports and samples to effectively manage the customer relationship
- Strong Outside Sales (min 2 years), optical imaging preferred
- Proven territory management and call cycle skills
- You must be willing and able to travel your entire territory of (city, state) with hotel stays on a regular basis
- You must own a reliable personal car
Bachelor’s degree required
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you ensure customer satisfaction when selling eyewear products and services?
- What metrics do you use to measure success when it comes to continuous improvement initiatives in sales and customer service?
- How do you build and maintain customer relationships, and how do you tailor your approach to each customer’s needs?
- What do you do to stay up-to-date on the latest eyewear products and trends, and how do you apply this knowledge to your sales?
- If you have ever had to deal with a difficult customer, can you describe how you dealt with their concerns?
- What strategies do you use to overcome sales objections?
- How do you measure success when it comes to closing sales and driving revenue?
- How do you track, analyze, and use sales data to inform your sales strategy?
- To ensure that customer needs are met and products are delivered accurately and efficiently, how do you collaborate with other members of the team, such as optometrists or lab technicians?
- Tell me about a time when you had to effectively explain the features and benefits of a complex product to someone.