What Does a Technology Solutions Sales Representative Do?
Technology solutions sales professionals meet with businesses to determine their needs for various electronic hardware and software products and services. They then work with their clients to develop and implement cost-effective and efficient solutions and provide ongoing support and maintenance of the products and services. These products include computers and servers, office management and word processing software, and specialized data storage and information security systems. Technology solutions sales can mean everything from retail sales direct to consumers to complex, long-term sales contracts for large-scale corporate software or equipment solutions.
A technology solutions sales professional must be able to communicate the technical details and capabilities of products to clients and demonstrate how the equipment will meet the client’s needs. They must possess presentation skills and be adept at relationship-building, negotiation, and communication, and they should be able to meet and exceed sales goals and objectives. Some technical background and functional knowledge of each product and service and its respective capabilities are also necessary.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Technology solutions sales representative salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Technology Solutions Sales Representative is:
Technology Solutions Sales Representative Job Descriptions
ABC Company seeks an experienced sales leader to drive, deliver and own the sales and revenue growth Workplace Technology Solutions. Qualified candidates must have a proven track record exceeding quota and sales revenue goals. This Individual will be responsible for sales, revenue generation, and business development activities for Workplace Technology. This solution provides design an integration services for all end user technology related to a new office build out or reconfiguration of office space. This includes Low Voltage Cable Design, IT Construction Project Management, AV Design and Integration, Physical Security and Access Control, Microsoft Systems and Collaboration, Networking, and Wireless and Smart Office Systems. Successful candidates must have a track record of success with sales growth in IT infrastructure / Workplace Technology Space. Specifically, we expect this person to develop partner, client and industry relationships that will generate sales opportunities for Workplace Solutions. This individual will be a hands on contributor to the sales process as well as executing strategies to energize revenue growth within Workplace Technology. This will include developing revenue programs as well as optimizing integration and alignment between all revenue-related functions, including marketing, sales, customer support, pricing, and revenue management. We are looking for a professional who has been a direct contributor to the sales process and has relevant contact in the New York City Workplace Technology space. All ABC Company Professionals must actively participate, have integrity, an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for excellence.
New Revenue Growth (80%) / Assist in existing Accounts (20%)
- Responsible for revenue growth within the Workplace Technology Solution
- Interacts with senior management levels at a client, which involves negotiating or influencing on significant matters
- Decisions have a lasting impact on area of responsibility with the potential to impact outside area of responsibility
- Manages large teams and/or work efforts (if in an individual contributor role) at a client or within Accenture
- Sales and Lead Generation – Assist ABC Company’s Business Development group in generating new sales leads
- Work closely with C-suite clients to create, shape, and close large cloud transformation deals – be a “rainmaker”
- Function as a sales overlay, pre – sales support specialist, industry expert and/or direct sales rep, as appropriate on a deal-by-deal basis to close new business
- Business Development – Work to create the appropriate partnerships with key vendors
- Vertical Marketing – Work together with other company leaders to optimize and expand ABC Company’s branding and marketing
- Seminar/Speaking engagements – act as ABC Company’s ambassador/expert across all geographic markets
- Subject Matter Expertise and Thought Leadership: Through regular communications and executive presentations with client and program teams, display a thorough understanding of current business landscape
- Play a key role in enhancing ongoing account management
- Ensure team and program activities are driven toward maximizing the likelihood of client renewal
- Develop and maintain exceptional business relationships with key client stakeholders and sponsors, maintaining a constant pulse on the state of programs and level of client satisfaction
- Leverage industry and marketplace intelligence to help drive innovation, working very closely with a team of experts to shape our solution offerings, maintain our competitive advantage and structure deals to maximize profitability
- Work with other business leaders within the firm to develop complimentary capabilities and enhance ABC Company’s solution offerings
- Ultimately responsible for ensuring that both individual and cumulative annual program financial objectives are met, this involves having a complete understanding of all components of solution P&Ls (headcount, spend, revenue, system costs, operating expenses and operating income) so as to meet/exceed annual budgets
- Day-to-day sales management:
- Set and manage priorities and expectations
- Ensure compliance is met at all levels and manage service delivery and processes
- Ongoing management and resolution of any program, team and personnel issues
- Minimum of 5 years selling/closing Technology deals in the Workplace Technology Industry
- Ability to lead the Client through the entire sales cycle
- Professional Qualifications
- Experience developing, maintaining and obtaining meetings with new and existing C-Level relationships
- Experience working with large, heavily matrixed company environment
- Experience with C-Level client relationship building and relationship management
- Proven ability to build, manage, and foster a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership, teamwork and collaboration in a professional setting; either military or civilian
- High energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
- Professional of unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character
- Minimum 10 years of relevant IT services sales experience with demonstrated ability to grow business opportunity
- Strong professional network/industry connections to identify opportunities, develop effective partnerships, and generate sales opportunities
- Must have a successful track record exceeding revenue goals and quotas for services
- Excellent client/customer relationship management skills at the executive level
- Understanding of and a successful track record overcoming the challenges associated with managing the creation of commercially compelling, end to end solutions
- Prior experience proactively managing and leading teams, including remote members is preferred
- Proven ability in the following areas:
- Present and facilitate effective meetings at all client levels, including to C-Suite
- Utilize negotiation skills to influence and drive change
- Identify data trends, ask key questions and drive root cause analysis of issues/problems – synthesize and develop real requirements/actions
- Act as a consensus builder with client and the internally
- Possess the following personal attributes:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Maintain a sense of urgency while remaining cool and collected
- Motivated, entrepreneurial, and solutions focused demeanor
Establish and manage an effective business development program to maximize organization growth. Serve as overall customer relationship manager and strategic business partner responsible for developing and expanding new business opportunities with customers.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all ABC Company services for appropriate cross-sell opportunities
- Actively prospect and leverage potential new business opportunities within specified potential new and/or existing Customers/Accounts
- Establish and execute a comprehensive sales plan for each target account
- Cultivate strong, long-term relationships with key decision-makers within Account, and develop deep knowledge of the customer organization
- Actively network in the industry to establish relationships and to identify potential opportunities
- Aggressively pursue awareness of competitive activities, positioning and pricing, which includes specific reasons for awards and non-awards
- Continuously monitor status of leads and opportunities to ensure a pipeline of opportunities is maintained
- Analyze potential opportunities and develop sales strategies for each customer account. Ensure appropriate strategy/solution is proposed to customer. Monitor actions and results against plans
- Establish brand recognition; communicate with internal Project Managers to assess overall level of customer satisfaction and progress of projects
- Work with operations and functional managers to identify sales team and prepares and leads the sales presentation. Educate team participants in customer culture, operational needs/methods, and sales techniques needed to close the sale
- Coordinate with contracts and proposals to develop proposal
- Handle follow-up related to the sale and drive completion of contractual documents
- Utilize CRM to establish reports and dashboards to analyze business development and sales activities and track progress
- Maintain high visibility within customer organization
- Plan and coordinate all customer sales activities
- Communicate all account activity to Senior Sales Leader and/or appropriate individuals through the CRM system
- Lead/participate in change management initiatives for the sales organization
- Provide overall support and serves as a mentor for junior sales staff members
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management required
- 15 years relevant industry experience (CRO/Pharmaceutical) required OR equivalent combination of education, training, and experience required
- Proven track record at developing mid-level and high-level contacts
- Solid understanding of commercialization and the principles of drug discovery and development
- Excellent skills using Microsoft Office Suite: MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strategic business awareness and analytical skills
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively and effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and ability to work simultaneously on multiple priorities
- Ability to maintain demanding timelines
- Ability to influence others both internally and externally
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers, and clients
This role is an expert in Brand Portfolio offerings and is accountable for creating demand and progressing opportunities to close – from OI through OO. The Technology Solutions Sales Specialist (for Select Dedicated accounts) is responsible for driving optimal customer Technology outcomes and achieving strategic objectives for the brand.
- Achieving strategic outcomes for the brand and driving customer Technology outcomes by working with a Technology Seller and account team
- Proactively identifying and pursuing new opportunities to sell within assigned offering portfolio
- Maintaining contemporary technical skills and offering knowledge
- Leveraging Marketing to drive customer lifetime value (LTV)
- Minimum 2 years relevant professional experience in technology sales and in direct client facing roles
- Established contacts and relationships with key clients
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving ability
- Understanding of relevant brand products/ABC Company offerings
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience selling technology solutions and products to organizations and businesses?
- Describe your experience selling to SMB or enterprise prospects.
- How do you plan your day, week, and month?
- What are your strengths in building new and lasting client relationships?
- When have you successfully closed a complex technology solution?
- Describe your highest value sale.
- Describe your experience developing and delivering sales presentations.
- Describe your experience putting together a complex proposal.
- Do you have any certifications which relate to either the sales representative aspect of this position or the technology aspect?
- What is your strategy for keeping up with the latest advancements in technology and the market for technology solutions?
- As a sales representative, what do you believe is the most important aspect of sales which will assist you in closing a deal?
- Can you tell us about a time when you lost a sale? How did you handle it?
- Have you previously worked on commission?
- Have you previously been held to a quota?
- If you’ve been held to a quota, have you every missed it? How did you respond?
- What’s your approach to communicating bad news internally?