What Does a Computer Analyst Do?
Computer analysts work to integrate data analysis and business management. They examine how computer systems can resolve complex problems within an organization. Analysts collaborate with peers and with other departments to identify the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement of existing computer systems.
Computer analysts provide information technology (IT) support and recommend the best hardware and software to meet an organization’s goals. These analysts work in myriad industries, including health care, construction, finance, and technology.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Computer analyst salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Computer Analyst is:
Computer Analyst Job Descriptions
It’s important to include the right content in your job description when hiring a computer analyst. The following examples can serve as templates for attracting the best available talent for your team.
Without skilled and successful computer analysts, we would not be able to grow, adapt, excel, and continue to scale our business as we have always strived to do. One of the most important roles our computer analysts play is developing new software and programs to help us be as efficient as possible in our daily work routines and activities. It will be important that you have strong analytical skills, interpersonal skills, good team working skills, be detail-oriented, and have exponential written and verbal communication. Our industry is constantly changing and so we have to be extremely adaptable in our technology and computer systems to remain competitive and top tier. If you are well-versed in computer and data analysis, then we might be the perfect fit for you!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure IT support
- Determine the role of IT within the organization
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of existing computer hardware and software systems
- Recommend strategies to meet organization objectives through system implementation
- Remain current on information technology standards and trends
- Maintain and ensure systems maintain proper function
- Bring business and technology together to achieve organization goals
Education and experience
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. Many employers prefer job candidates who have a master’s degree.
Required skills and qualifications
- Critical-thinking and decision-making skills
- Expertise in communication and organization
- Strong understanding of programming language, computer software and hardware
- Solid grasp of internet principles
- Knowledge of industry-specific terminology, standards, and protocols
- Vendor-specific certification
- Proficient in finding creative solutions to complex problems
- Knowledge of business analysis and process mapping
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, mathematics, or a related field
- Master’s degree in business administration or computer science
- Certifications applicable to this position
Duties and responsibilities
- Applies extensive knowledge of a variety of the Informatin Assurance (IA) field’s concepts, practices, and procedures to ensure the secure integration and operation of all enclave systems
- Possess current certification in CISSP or equivalent and maintains necessary certifications and required forty (40) hours of annual continuing education (reference the DoD Approved 8570 Baseline IAT-III Certifications)
- Possess applicable CE/OS Certifications
- Be able to lead teams and/or support actions to quickly resolve or mitigate IA problems
- Support the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and software applications ensuring integration with IA security requirements for the enclave
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using and installing networking equipment such as switches, routers and firewalls
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with system patching and IA vulnerability alerts (IAVA), IA vulnerability bulletins (IAVB), and technical advisories (TA)
- Be able to support, monitor, test and troubleshoot hardware and software IA problems
- Be able to provide end user support for all IA related applications
- Be able to perform routine maintenance, to include diagnostic testing and optimization
- Within six (6) months of assignment, complete Government sponsored training on the DoD Host Based Security System (HBSS) and the DoD Assured Compliance Assessment Solution (ACAS) and be able to assist Government IA personnel in the configuration and sustainment of HBSS, and able to execute and analyze vulnerability scans upon request by Government IA personnel
- Be able to coordinate and implement software backup and antivirus requirements
- Be able to perform scheduled IA specific preventive maintenance of computer systems and network components
Qualifications and education requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technology related field, or equivalent work experience and education
- Possess a current IA Technical Level III certification as identified in DoD 8570.01-M/Appendix 3, Table AP3.T1
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP); or able to obtain certification within 60 days after starting
- Possess a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience or equivalent in a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position
- Experience should include Customer Service and Technical Support, Data Administration, Knowledge Management, Network Services, System Administration, and Systems Security Analysis
- A two-year electronic technician resident course at an accredited technical institute and/or military technical training and equivalent electronics maintenance experience on equipment of similar complexity; or at least four (4) years electronic maintenance experience and have demonstrated competence by satisfactory progressive performance in electronic maintenance on simulation systems of comparable complexity to those supported on this program.
- Analyze system techniques and procedures, including consulting with users to determine hardware, software, or system functional specifications
- Provide excellent customer service on the phone, in written format and in person with the ability to patiently and politely deal with varying customer skill levels
- Utilize the ticketing system and provide detailed status and case notes for all issues handled directly; properly route all problems requiring escalation
- Maintain a customer-service oriented atmosphere for the Helpdesk
- Ensure prompt responses, effective communication, and delivery of solutions for reported issues
- Create end-user documentation and recommend procedural changes to proactively reduce number of help desk requests
- Create all new employee set-ups and assist with physical office/cubicle setup
- Present IT orientation to all new bank employees
- Maintain all desktop and laptop setup, maintenance, upgrades, and troubleshoot for both local and remote users
- Manage file, printer and group membership permissions
- Manage IT hardware and software inventory
- Manage and maintain email filtering with Office 365 platform
- Configure, install and troubleshoot Microsoft based products on laptops, desktops, and servers
- Respond to system monitoring alerts and escalate as needed
- Assist in monthly maintenance to keep systems updated with the latest patches
- Create and maintain computer/software images, ensuring rapid deployment of up-to-date PC builds for desktops and laptop systems
- Support staff on all remote connectivity devices including laptops and smartphones
- Troubleshoot network printers and LAN TCP/IP problems
- Develop and maintain knowledge of system information changes and updates
- Associate’s degree (AA) in Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent
- Two (2) years of related experience
- Microsoft and Network certifications
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with Microsoft Networks and Corporate wired/wireless LANs
- Experience implementing, maintaining and supporting Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office applications
- Technical experience configuring and supporting desktops, laptops, printers, servers, and related equipment
- Demonstrated ability dealing with and resolving complex technical issues with customers in real time
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to troubleshoot technical issues
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as demonstrated in previous support role working directly with customers
- Previous banking experience is a plus
- Ability to work with no supervision while performing duties
Physical requirements and environmental conditions
- Sustained standing and sitting
- Frequent use of PC, including typing or sustained attention to monitor
- Occasional lifting and/or moving equipment weighing up to 50 lbs
- Normal office environment with comfortable internal temperatures and low level noise
- Implement, test, and maintain software applications
- Review software release documentation to make recommendations and determinations on appropriate implementation
- Perform routine IT system and application administrator duties to include patch management, account management, and issues management
- Coordinate administration operations with appropriate server and database administrators
- Modify software solution configurations
- Handle a high-pressure environment while successfully partnering with other IT staff and customers
- Actively participate in problem solving, continuous improvement, and demonstrate strong dedication to quality and communication throughout the testing process
- Demonstrate strong communication skills while engaging in frequent client interfacing
- Ensure team efforts by maintaining workflows and quality standards and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work with multiple hardware and operating systems, system architectures, and network infrastructures
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks, often under strict deadlines
- Ability to work closely with customers and software vendors to define expectations and mutual responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with SQL and relational databases operations
- Must have current Secret Clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management of Information Systems, or relevant discipline or experience in leiu and 3 years additional experience
- Experience supporting web-based applications that run on the Windows and Linux platform
- Project and/or process management training or experience
- Experience with maintaining Cyber Security IT systems & applications
- Learn about the Noblis business development lifecycle, processes, tools, and account structure
- Contribute specialized domain or technical content to proposal sections or client white papers
- Build a productive relationship with your client and understand their structure and goals
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- CompTIA Linux+. This certification is for candidates wanting to learn about the Linux operating system and how it can be applied to build reliable and quality systems for enterprises. It also teaches candidates how to keep the system secure and provides information on which skills can best help them.
- CompTIA A+. This certification is well renowned. It covers many topics that will help candidates when it comes to having a strong foundation as a computer analyst.
- Professional Business Analyst Certificate. This certification includes hands-on exercises and examines the role of a professional business analyst. With these exercises, candidates can ensure that their end result can meet the requirements needed to succeed. Renewal is not required for this certification.
- Information Systems Professional (ISP). This is a valuable certification to have as a computer analyst. This not only makes candidates more valuable to employers but it can also help increase their hourly rate.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is your experience with software development and programming?
- What do you do to stay up to date on the latest technology trends and developments?
- What is your problem-solving process?
- What are your strategies for dealing with difficult stakeholders or conflicts within your team?
- What is an example of a successful project you have completed?
- Can you tell us about a time when you had to adapt to a new technology?
- Would you be able to describe a time when you had to troubleshoot and resolve a complex technical issue?
- What is your experience with project management?
- What is your experience working in a team environment?
- Do you have an example of a process you have improved or streamlined?