What Does a Computer Analyst Do?
Computer analysts work to integrate data analysis and business management. They examine how computer systems can resolve complex problems within an organization. Computer analysts collaborate with others to identify the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of improvement of existing computer systems. Computer analysts provide information technology (IT) support and recommend the best hardware and software to meet an organization’s goals. Computer analysts work in myriad industries, including health care, construction, finance, and technology.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Computer analyst salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Computer Analyst is:
Computer Analyst Job Descriptions
Duties and responsibilities
- Applies extensive knowledge of a variety of the Informatin Assurance (IA) field’s concepts, practices, and procedures to ensure the secure integration and operation of all enclave systems
- Possess current certification in CISSP or equivalent and maintains necessary certifications and required forty (40) hours of annual continuing education (reference the DoD Approved 8570 Baseline IAT-III Certifications)
- Possess applicable CE/OS Certifications
- Be able to lead teams and/or support actions to quickly resolve or mitigate IA problems
- Support the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and software applications ensuring integration with IA security requirements for the enclave
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using and installing networking equipment such as switches, routers and firewalls
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with system patching and IA vulnerability alerts (IAVA), IA vulnerability bulletins (IAVB), and technical advisories (TA)
- Be able to support, monitor, test and troubleshoot hardware and software IA problems
- Be able to provide end user support for all IA related applications
- Be able to perform routine maintenance, to include diagnostic testing and optimization
- Within six (6) months of assignment, complete Government sponsored training on the DoD Host Based Security System (HBSS) and the DoD Assured Compliance Assessment Solution (ACAS) and be able to assist Government IA personnel in the configuration and sustainment of HBSS, and able to execute and analyze vulnerability scans upon request by Government IA personnel
- Be able to coordinate and implement software backup and antivirus requirements
- Be able to perform scheduled IA specific preventive maintenance of computer systems and network components
Qualifications and education requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technology related field, or equivalent work experience and education
- Possess a current IA Technical Level III certification as identified in DoD 8570.01-M/Appendix 3, Table AP3.T1
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP); or able to obtain certification within 60 days after starting
- Possess a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience or equivalent in a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position
- Experience should include Customer Service and Technical Support, Data Administration, Knowledge Management, Network Services, System Administration, and Systems Security Analysis
- A two-year electronic technician resident course at an accredited technical institute and/or military technical training and equivalent electronics maintenance experience on equipment of similar complexity; or at least four (4) years electronic maintenance experience and have demonstrated competence by satisfactory progressive performance in electronic maintenance on simulation systems of comparable complexity to those supported on this program.
- Analyze system techniques and procedures, including consulting with users to determine hardware, software, or system functional specifications
- Provide excellent customer service on the phone, in written format and in person with the ability to patiently and politely deal with varying customer skill levels
- Utilize the ticketing system and provide detailed status and case notes for all issues handled directly; properly route all problems requiring escalation
- Maintain a customer-service oriented atmosphere for the Helpdesk
- Ensure prompt responses, effective communication, and delivery of solutions for reported issues
- Create end-user documentation and recommend procedural changes to proactively reduce number of help desk requests
- Create all new employee set-ups and assist with physical office/cubicle setup
- Present IT orientation to all new bank employees
- Maintain all desktop and laptop setup, maintenance, upgrades, and troubleshoot for both local and remote users
- Manage file, printer and group membership permissions
- Manage IT hardware and software inventory
- Manage and maintain email filtering with Office 365 platform
- Configure, install and troubleshoot Microsoft based products on laptops, desktops, and servers
- Respond to system monitoring alerts and escalate as needed
- Assist in monthly maintenance to keep systems updated with the latest patches
- Create and maintain computer/software images, ensuring rapid deployment of up-to-date PC builds for desktops and laptop systems
- Support staff on all remote connectivity devices including laptops and smartphones
- Troubleshoot network printers and LAN TCP/IP problems
- Develop and maintain knowledge of system information changes and updates
- Associate’s degree (AA) in Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent
- Two (2) years of related experience
- Microsoft and Network certifications
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with Microsoft Networks and Corporate wired/wireless LANs
- Experience implementing, maintaining and supporting Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office applications
- Technical experience configuring and supporting desktops, laptops, printers, servers, and related equipment
- Demonstrated ability dealing with and resolving complex technical issues with customers in real time
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to troubleshoot technical issues
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as demonstrated in previous support role working directly with customers
- Previous banking experience is a plus
- Ability to work with no supervision while performing duties
Physical requirements and environmental conditions
- Sustained standing and sitting
- Frequent use of PC, including typing or sustained attention to monitor
- Occasional lifting and/or moving equipment weighing up to 50 lbs
- Normal office environment with comfortable internal temperatures and low level noise
- Implement, test, and maintain software applications
- Review software release documentation to make recommendations and determinations on appropriate implementation
- Perform routine IT system and application administrator duties to include patch management, account management, and issues management
- Coordinate administration operations with appropriate server and database administrators
- Modify software solution configurations
- Handle a high-pressure environment while successfully partnering with other IT staff and customers
- Actively participate in problem solving, continuous improvement, and demonstrate strong dedication to quality and communication throughout the testing process
- Demonstrate strong communication skills while engaging in frequent client interfacing
- Ensure team efforts by maintaining workflows and quality standards and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work with multiple hardware and operating systems, system architectures, and network infrastructures
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks, often under strict deadlines
- Ability to work closely with customers and software vendors to define expectations and mutual responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with SQL and relational databases operations
- Must have current Secret Clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management of Information Systems, or relevant discipline or experience in leiu and 3 years additional experience
- Experience supporting web-based applications that run on the Windows and Linux platform
- Project and/or process management training or experience
- Experience with maintaining Cyber Security IT systems & applications
- Learn about the Noblis business development lifecycle, processes, tools, and account structure
- Contribute specialized domain or technical content to proposal sections or client white papers
- Build a productive relationship with your client and understand their structure and goals
Sample Interview Questions
- What are the duties of a computer analyst?
- What skills would you say are important to have as a computer analyst?
- Do you have experience designing new systems?
- Can you explain to us what sub-netting is?
- Why do we use a DHCP server? What is the purpose of it?
- Has there been a time when you had to work with a team to meet a deadline? Would you say you are a team player?
- Are you familiar with SAP software? If so, which have you used?
- Can you walk me through the steps of when you perform a software audit?
- What made you choose this career path?
- What is your favorite part of this job? What is your least favorite part?
- How do you keep yourself motivated?
- Has there been a time when you had to handle difficult stakeholders?
- Can you tell us about SDD?
- What business intelligence tools have you used in the past?
- What are flowcharts and why are they important?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What is the process when it comes to the registration of software?
- What are SSH and SSL?
- Why are you deciding to leave your current position?
- Do you have the Professional Business Analyst Certificate?