What Does a Project Coordinator Do?
A project coordinator manages projects for a company or organization. They lead teams, assign tasks, and keep stakeholders up-to-date on the progress of a project. They assist the project manager in defining project goals and objectives, developing project plans, timelines, and budgets, and tracking progress on each project. These professionals meet with internal and external customers to ensure that the project meets requirements and objectives. Project coordinators must have exceptional time management skills, superior communication skills, and be able to motivate and keep resources on track.
Individuals in this role need to be aware of company or client standards and meet them. Outstanding project management abilities are essential to this role, as well as excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask effectively. In addition, project coordinators should be capable of identifying project risks and issues and developing mitigation strategies in collaboration with the project manager.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Project coordinator salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Project Coordinator is:
Project Coordinator Job Descriptions
- Supporting sales by owning the order fulfillment process
- Preparing quotes and processing orders
- Using Khameleon to update sale orders.
- Create quotes
- Place client orders by cutting and sending purchase orders to furniture and labor vendors
- Track shipments and deliveries with manufacturers and freight companies
- Communicating status of orders and ensuring accurate information is sent to customers.
- File punch and warranty claims with manufacturers
- Train to double check specs against scope of work
- Opportunity for local on-site visits, 1-4x per month, will train with PM and install during first 6 months
- Assisting in the implementation of policy and procedures
- Maintaining an efficient work environment
- All other duties as assigned
- 1-2 years experience Project Coordination
- Detailed oriented
- Preferred Design industry experience
Essential job functions, duties, and responsibilities
- Type correspondence, meeting minutes, and compile required documents in standard company format, etc.
- May prepare own correspondence and compose for signature as directed
- Develop and maintain filing system
- Answer telephones, take messages, screen and handle routine items
- Maintain supervisor’s calendar; arrange and schedule meetings; coordinate business and client meetings
- Open and distribute mail for project/department
- Arrange for travel, hotel, and car reservations
- May assist in the maintenance and update of accounting reports
- Assists in the preparation, compilation, and distribution of monthly reports
- Handle and/or administer confidential documents
- May function as a liaison between supervisor and other company personnel
- Have knowledge of company organization, policies, practices, and personnel in order to carry out responsibilities
General background and minimum requirements
- Two-year business and/or secretarial school
- 2 to 5 years of work experience
- Excellent proofreading and grammar skills required
- Preferred shorthand or fast longhand skills
- Proven ability in planning, organizing and implementing work priorities
- Proven ability to perform a variety of critical and often confidential tasks with constantly changing priorities
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, carry through assignments and exhibit accuracy and neatness
- Proven ability to interact, develop and maintain a positive working relationship with personnel on all levels, both within the company and with clients
- Proven proficiency in word processing (55-WPM) including proficiency in current corporate software packages
- Proficiency in operation of standard office equipment
- The project coordinator will be responsible for actively participating in project planning including but not limited to; general project oversite, resource management, organization of meetings and taking meeting minutes, working with project management tools for control and status management, and coordination of various teams, communications, and presentations
- This person will participate in strategic business planning to accelerate the unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) integration strategy for the business unit
- A successful project coordinator will be able to manage deadlines, interact with multiple teams, communicate project status, be competent in project management tools, have experience with managing program financials, and is highly organized, be a good communicator, and can oversee a project management portfolio with several interdependencies
- Synthesize data to provide information to key stakeholders in a clear, succinct manner
- Maintain and monitor project schedules, plans, and calendars
- Maintain thorough and timely documentation
- Proactively monitor and ensure that project deadline is met
- Facilitate customer and partner meetings as required
- Actively take meeting minute recordings and distribute them to relevant team members in a timely manner
- Actively contribute to business case and financial modeling for UAS integration services
- Ensure company guidelines are followed and met
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field of study with a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with various project management software utilities (Microsoft Project, Jira, Salesforce, Asana, etc.)
- Strong background in finance, accounting, or another business-related field
- Exceptional verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Strong ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience supporting enterprise-level technical projects
- Competency in Microsoft applications suite
- File management knowledge
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Project Coordinator
- Project Costing
- Project Scheduling
- Microsoft Project
- Project Management
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field of study with a minimum of 5+ years of relevant experience
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you plan and execute projects, and what experience do you have in project coordination?
- What are the best practices for clearly defining and communicating project goals and objectives?
- Have you used any effective strategies to address project risks and issues?
- What tools or systems do you use to manage your project documentation, and how do you ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date?
- When was the last time you had to develop a project plan, timeline, or budget? How did you ensure the plan was accurate and realistic?
- How do you make sure the project team is motivated and does their work well?
- How do you deal with the pressure that comes with tight deadlines?
- When dealing with multiple tasks and responsibilities, what strategies do you use to manage and prioritize them?
- In what ways do you monitor project progress and identify issues and risks?
- What strategies have you used to address communication challenges with project teams and stakeholders?
- Share a time when you collaborated with project teams and stakeholders.