What Does a Call Center Manager Do?
In addition to overseeing and implementing procedures to increase efficiency, call center managers are also responsible for staffing, training, monitoring performance, and ensuring customer satisfaction. They accomplish this goal by creating daily objectives for the call center’s activities and effective resource planning to maximize the productivity of their teams.
This career frequently will begin as a call center representative and evolve over time as an individual shows competency in their position. Call center managers must be reliable and results-driven professionals and frequently will move on into further leadership roles within their companies.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Call center manager salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Call Center Manager is:
Call Center Manager Job Descriptions
The first step when hiring a great call center manager is a well-crafted job description. Below are real-world examples to help give you the best chance of success on your recruiting journey.
[Your Company Name] is looking for an experienced call center manager. We are specifically looking for someone that has previous experience with customer service, which demonstrates to us that they will properly take care of our customers by first understanding their needs. Call center managers are primarily responsible for hiring, training, and managing call center employees. This position requires the call center manager to set goals and challenges that will help motivate the employees to sell the variety of services we offer while providing excellent customer service. If you have a passion for problem-solving and teamwork, you may be the best person for fulfilling this position.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Hire, train and onboard new call center representatives as required to meet quotas
- Process weekly sales leads reports for submission to management
- Provide coaching and assistance to call center team members on an ongoing basis
- Communicate company goals to associates, so every employee understands his or her role
- Develop presentations and talks to motivate and educate call center representatives
- Oversee and ensure conflict resolution between associates and customers
- Conduct periodic surveys of customers and potential customers to ensure quality control
Education and experience
A bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, or any other relevant field is required.
Certifications may include Certified Call Center Manager, Certified Workforce Management Professional, or Certified Contact Center Supervisor.
Required skills and qualifications
- Ability to perform tasks and utilize machinery
- Knowledge of telemarketing software systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong management, leadership, and motivational skills
- Advanced conflict resolution skills
- Business management and analysis expertise
- Financial planning and budget management experience
- Ability to perform tasks and utilize machinery
- 5+ years of experience working in a call center
- Experience managing a team of professionals
- B.S. degree in business management or a related field
The Call Center Manager is responsible for leadership and oversight of the Call Center operations including inbound calls and all correspondence. This position works to achieve maximum results within the call center and meet/exceed goals of ABC Company and regulatory agencies. Responsible for handling customer issues and all complaints received from regulatory or state agencies.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Oversees and leads the daily operations of the Call Center including IVR, manual call initiatives (ACD) and Internet activity over the Web; analyzes staffing needs for inbound coverage of phone and email volumes and proactively makes adjustments to meet the fluctuations in call demands as necessary
- Coaches and develops staff to ensure the highest degree of customer service to maximize quality service and customer retention. Fosters, promotes and contributes to a positive team environment
- Manages the telephone quality audit and monitoring process. Works closely with the Customer Assurance specialist ensuring written and verbal performance feedback to all representatives. Makes recommendations for areas of operational improvement to improve customer experience and increase efficiency in the call center
- Determines performance objectives/metrics and defines tools to measure progress and ensure consistent achievement of business objectives
- Compiles and monitors daily/weekly/monthly operational statistics and reports. Analyzes trends, variances and problem situations. Provides accurate reporting on results, including production statistics, actual result to goal, and forecasting projections
- Handles all customer issues and complaints received from regulatory and state agencies
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- 5-7 years managerial experience in a high-volume call center; strong knowledge of general Call Center Operations
- Mortgage banking/loan servicing experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Must be flexible, organized and have the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Possess strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a demanding, team-oriented, and fast-paced environment
- Working experience with call center technology such as IVR and ACD systems, etc.
- Experience working with Microsoft Windows applications
- Ability to work assigned/flexible hours necessary to complete the job on a weekly basis
ABC Company is looking for a Call Center Manager to lead the strategy and execution of all Call Center operations. Core duties include management and leadership of processes for the continuous improvement of the customer experience. Tactical emphasis is on quality management, workforce planning, recruiting, coaching, and training. Performance metrics include call efficiency, staffing utilization, acceptable turnover, customer satisfaction, and financial performance. A commitment to excellence is demonstrated through continuous staff development programs enhancing employee engagement, service, knowledge, skills, and morale.
- Provide strong, multifaceted leadership that mentors, develops, and guides team members to efficiently demonstrate the value of every call for maximum net reservation revenue to clients
- Responsible for development and administration of annual department budget to attain business goals with operational stability
- Deliver results against a defined scope of work that includes measurable return on investment, strategic innovation, performance reporting, and human capital development
- Develop and implement internal and external Quality Assurance (QA) programs fostering continuous improvement and exceeding Service Level Agreement (SLA) and Customer Satisfaction performance
- Develop and maintain effective organization of responsibility, including efficient recruiting, training, coaching, recognition, workflow patterns, performance standards, delineation of duties and responsibilities, staffing levels, and supervision
- Coordinate analytic, strategic, and technical resources to meet client expectations and ensure satisfaction
- Lead and expand client and coworker relationships
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agency guidelines and standards
Required skills & experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of related experience required
- Minimum 3 years of responsible call center experience required
- 5+ years successful management experience preferred
- Project management skills and ability to lead people and teams with multiple functions on various levels in the organization required
- Strong management and leadership skills, with the ability to enthusiastically engage and motivate others
- Proven ability to problem-solve, anticipate issues/concerns, troubleshoot problems, and proactively implement creative solutions
- Ability to effectively delegate as necessary, with appropriate follow-up and accountability for timely results
- Ability to benchmark and measure effectiveness of programs and campaigns and inspire change for improvements
- Excellent verbal and written communication and document preparation skills
- Proficient in Windows-based software applications and the ability to understand system logic and capabilities
- Solid understanding of tactical and strategic marketing methodologies
This role will manage hiring needs for the office, coach, and counsel employees, and overall lead a team by example. The ideal candidate for this Call Center Manager opportunity will have management experience as well as strong customer service, communication, and computer skills.
Call center manager responsibilities
- Able to quickly learn a new process and use networking skills to pick up the details of what is needed
- Maintain office services by organizing office operations and procedures; preparing payroll and claim investigations as well as designing filing systems, reviewing and approving supply requisitions, and assigning and monitoring clerical functions
- Complete operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results
- Keep supervisor informed by reviewing and analyzing special reports; summarizing information; identifying trends
- Manage hiring for office staff needs
- Maintain office staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Lead by example
Call center manager required experience
- Strong computer skills, being able to multitask using numerous programs and screens
- Solid people skills, maintaining a team environment and being able to motivate a team to perform
- Experience in staffing, managing processes, supervision, and reporting
- Must have management experience
- Strong customer service skills working in conflict resolution
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Certified Call Center Manager (CCCM). There are several CCCM courses out there that will help prepare any previous customer service representative to become a call center manager. Earning this certification will help its candidates to learn how to hire and coach representatives, guide employees through difficult calls or issues, lead team meetings, and establish various call center goals. The CCCM is a great way to demonstrate to potential employers determination to become a successful call center manager.
- Certified Workforce Management Professional. This certification requires previous experience in planning and strategy, however, it is still a great option for candidates looking to become a call center manager. The Certified Workforce Management Professional certificate teaches how to staff, schedule, and manage a group of employees efficiently. They will learn how to optimize operations by gathering data and understanding the customers they are trying to please. This certification will require them to pass three different examinations that will ultimately demonstrate their knowledge of how to properly manage a workplace.
Sample Interview Questions
- What made you want to work in customer service?
- What qualities should every call center manager have?
- Walk me through the process of hiring a new employee.
- How do you identify a potential candidate’s strengths? Weaknesses?
- Have you ever had a disagreement with a coworker? If so, how did you handle it?
- How would you maintain and improve the operations of the business as a manager?
- What are the most effective strategies to improve employee performance?
- How would you implement changes in a call center?
- How will you make your team feel unified?
- How do you handle customers that have unreasonable demands?
- What do you believe will be your biggest challenge managing others?
- Walk me through how you would develop new policies and procedures.
- Tell me about a time you managed resources effectively.
- What are some goals you would set for your team?