What Does a Realtor Do?
A realtor is a licensed professional who helps clients buy, sell, and rent homes, apartments, and commercial properties. These individuals work closely with clients to understand their preferences and needs and assist them in navigating the complex real estate market. Their responsibilities include conducting property tours, negotiating prices and terms, preparing contracts and documents, and overseeing the sale of the property.
Realtors must possess strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication abilities, attention to detail, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. They should be knowledgeable of the local real estate market as well as the laws and regulations related to the industry.
Are you a job seeker?
of job openings
and apply online
National Average Salary
Realtor salaries vary by experience, industry, organization size, and geography. To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com.
The average U.S. salary for a Realtor is:
Realtor Job Descriptions
Crafting the perfect job description may be the key to finding an exceptional realtor. To help you with your recruiting search, our team has put together some examples from past openings.
[Your company name] is in the market for passionate realtors. Our realtors use their experience to find buyers and sellers of properties that meet our clients’ criteria. Whether you’ve outgrown your old house, looking to buy your dream home, or in need of a commercial property for your business, our agents are prepared to hold a client’s hand every step of the way. If you have three years or more as an experienced realtor, and you feel that you could be an asset within our company, contact us today to apply.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Develop marketing plans for customers
- Collect information from clients in order to find a property that fits their needs as best as possible
- Stay on top of listings and present them to clients in a timely manner
- Showcase listings that have been assigned to you
- Help clients navigate their financial situations through closing
Education and experience
- High school diploma
- Must be a member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR)
- Must pass licensing examinations
- Three years experience in sales
Required skills and qualifications
- Superb negotiating skills for working with clients and other realtors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Time management and organizational skills
- Extensive promotional and marketing skills
- Thorough knowledge of the local real estate market
- Excellent people skills
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate or other related field
- Additional real estate related certifications
- Previous experience working in both commercial and personal real estate
- Familiarity with legal real estate documents
- Knowledge of how the buying and selling process works
- Real Estate license is required!
- Self-motivated, highly determined, driven, proven track record of success
- Excellent at building rapport
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Willing to learn scripts and dialogues
- Ability to build meaningful connections and rapport quickly and love meeting new people
- Forward thinking, proactive, dynamic, and perform well under pressure
- Reliable transportation
- Flexible schedule with the ability to show homes at night and on weekends
- Close for agreements and conduct a high-level fiduciary needs analysis
- Consult with clients
- Effectively negotiate, open, and close deals
- Develop expert knowledge regarding the housing market, neighborhoods, schools, and all homeownership issues
- Participate in weekly accountability meetings with the coach
- Maintain database by consistently updating client profiles
- Tour homes with clients
- Provide clients with market data
- Host weekly open houses
- Communicate with your admin team on a daily basis to keep transactions on track
- Contract to close coordinator
- Marketing coordinator
- Prospecting team
- Multiple lead generating systems
- Proven operating systems
- Weekly accountability coaching
- Script training/role-play training
- Qualified leads and appointments
- Marketing Advertisement
- No out-of-pocket expenses
- Endless opportunity
- Close-knit team environment
We are looking for a professional Real Estate Realtor to be an intermediary between sellers and buyers. Real Estate Realtor’s responsibilities include marketing listings and providing guidance to buyers and sellers. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to grow their career in real estate.
- Assist sellers in how to best promote their properties to attract advantageous offers
- Advertise properties through a variety of marketing techniques
- Evaluate the client’s desires and economic capabilities to discover the appropriate suggestions
- Provide information regarding legal guidelines, rates, specifications and property availability
- Remain knowledgeable about the market and best practices
- Willingness to learn new tools, systems, and technologies
- Self motivated and able to perform tasks independently
- Great communication and social skills
- Show good organizational and time management skills
- Have a servant’s heart approach to customer service
- Have an abundance mindset
This is your opportunity to join a dynamic and hyper-successful team where you can grow your career, earn a significant financial income and help your customers achieve their ultimate goal of a new home.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license and can travel by car
- Must possess great communication and interpersonal skills
- Top-notch time management skills and highly organized
- A successful and proven sales history is preferred
- Great communication and social skills
- Technology driven
- Self motivated and able to perform tasks independently
- Participate in open houses, arrange showings, and show homes to potential buyers
- Give potential home buyers necessary information about their local housing market
- Make sure buyers clients go through a seamless home purchasing process including helping buyers choose mortgage options that fit their budget
- Reach out to pre-qualified leads to gauge their interest and determine their wants and needs for a home
- Act as the intermediary between the client and the listing agent to ensure a smooth real estate transaction
- Consistently follow up with qualified leads and nurture your database
- Meet with clients to determine their home wishlist, then meet their needs and sell them a home
- “Always be consulting” by providing your clients with your very best service and your very best advice to nurture client relationships and generate repeat and referral customers
- Have local knowledge of the community to answer questions about potential homes and the surrounding neighborhood
- Prospect for new leads to promote new business
- Oversee the entire process from listing to closing to ensure a quick and seamless transaction experience
Candidate Certifications to Look For
- Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR). The ABR, presented by the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council (REBAC), requires documentation of five completed transactions in which candidates acted solely as buyer representatives. They must be in good standing with the REBAC and the NAR. Candidates must also pass the exam with a score of 80% or higher.
- Accredited Land Consultant (ALC). The ALC requires successful completion of a 104-hour LANDU education program, a significant amount of high volume experience, and candidates must strictly follow the code of conduct. Applicants must hold a current real estate license and have at least two years of experience. Candidates must submit a portfolio and must be in good standing with the NAR.
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM). The CCM is an accreditation for commercial real estate covering core courses, such as financial analysis, market analysis, negotiations training, user decision analysis, investment analysis, and ethics. Candidates have to have worked in the commercial real estate industry for a minimum of two years and must submit a portfolio of qualifying experience. There is a six-hour comprehensive exam, and candidates must have a passing score of 70% or higher. They must also be in good standing with the CCIM Institute and the NAR.
Sample Interview Questions
- How do you market and promote properties to prospective buyers and renters, and what strategies have you found to be most effective?
- Would you be able to describe a real estate transaction in which you faced a difficult challenge or obstacle? How did you overcome it?
- Are you experienced in coordinating inspections, appraisals, and financing during the transaction process?
- How do you protect your clients’ confidentiality and privacy during real estate transactions?
- What is your method for creating a client base?
- How do you approach the process of understanding your clients’ needs and preferences when helping them buy, sell, or rent properties?
- Describe a time when you negotiated a real estate deal with clients or other parties.
- How do you ensure the accuracy and completeness of real estate contracts and documents that you prepare?
- Are you aware of your local real estate market’s pricing, inventory, and competition trends?
- How do you successfully manage in and out-of-office tasks?
- Have you worked with attorneys, inspectors, and lenders on real estate transactions?
- Are there any real estate transactions you are particularly proud of, and what role did you play in their success?
- Have you ever had difficulties creating a relationship with a client? If you could go back, what would you have done differently?
- What questions do you ask potential customers to ensure you’re meeting all of their needs?